What's new

Who's the jerk in this situation?

not2hye

Knucklehead
Member Number
Loc
Hellifornia
Helping a Buddy out today CoronaXJ with a gate project in the driveway. Next door neighbors walks over and starts talking to buddy.

He start off with asking "what's with all the cars?" And "you're reputation in the neighbor is your house looks like a used car lot" he said he talked with the other neighbors and they decided he has too many cars.
comments include "you have 7 cars and only 3 people live her" which is incorrect. They have 5 cars in total. With one in the garage and one just left for the detail shop to be sold. The roommate has a brand new pickup as well. The only "ugly" (probably not by our standards) is his great grand dads 67 f100 that has a beautiful new interior and redone 390 with a nice new c6. Original survivor paint job. Gf has a brand new car and he drives a nice new pickup as well.

He told neighbor that one of the vehicle is leaving to be sold and there will be 2 vehicles parked in driveway, 2 on the street, one in garage.
neighbor says this is unacceptable to be parking on the street. The kids need the room to play outside. It's a big street.

Buddy basically said that it is what it is and there will be 2 cars on the street and 2 in the driveway. Also informed the neighbor that he was handling this situation the wrong way. And they're was a better way to bring this topic up.

These neighbors dont park in the street. The ones confronting us only have one car and 2 car garage. Wife rides her bike everywhere. Other neighbors mostly park in garage and have 2 vehicles.

Who's in the wrong here? I dont feel we are but what say irate about street parking?

Last edited:
If he can fit all his shit in his yard and on his stretch of curb it's neighborly, maybe even one down the street along somebody's side yard, but move it, and rotate your "down the street car"

don't park shit in front of neighbors houses

If he wasn't, he should tell his neighbor to eat a dick

I have two cars in my backyard one in my left driveway and two in my right driveway. If people come visit me they park in the street in front of My house. I vote it's none of anybody's how many cars you have.

Who was in the wrong? Well, what does your county or city law say about it?

the kids can play around it, but any car getting parked on the curb should be something that is getting driven daily or at least moved every few days.

says the guy who stored his trailer on the street for a year or so :emb:

edit: i've only had 1 car have 1 tire marked 1 time in my ~20 years of owning cars and parking them along the street. funnily enough, it was a car i was driving regularly. got tagged after sitting for 4 days

If he can fit all his shit in his yard and on his stretch of curb it's neighborly, maybe even one down the street along somebody's side yard, but move it, and rotate your "down the street car"

Very rarely when he has people over is there in front of the neighbors house.
neighbor was doing some wierd shit pulling his car out right before everyone got home from work and parked it on curb so no once could park there.

Roommates pickup sometimes has the nose of his pickup passing property line. Maybe 6 feet tops on occasion.

Everyone else parks on the cul de sac where there are no houses when they come by

the kids can play around it, but any car getting parked on the curb should be something that is getting driven daily or at least moved every few days.

edit: i've only had 1 car have 1 tire marked 1 time in my ~20 years of owning cars and parking them along the street. funnily enough, it was a car i was driving regularly. got tagged after sitting for 4 days

City ordinance is vehicle must be tagged and insured to be parked on street. All are. They must be moved every 72 hours.
ford hasn't been moved in 3 days due to birds build a nest in the bed and we didnt want to disturb them. Hes not dailying the f100 because no ac and hot as hell. It's going back in garage when birds leave.

Crossing the property line 6 feet?
If you only have 2 cars and one Sunday a month have bible study and park in front of your neighbors house, no big deal
But if your buddy is running at capacity 24/7, and then parking his junk 6 feet over the property line, he's being a dick, he needs to manage his shit better.
From a guy that often has 6 cars, a car trailer, and random visitors, and still on pretty good terms with my neighbors, don't park shit in front of other people's houses

Neighbor also made some comments about our "initiative" basically called us lazy with junk vehicles. He keeps up on yard maintenance. Grass is green and trimmed. Bushes are clipped as needed. Other neighbors yards dont look 100% but who cares.

he also had mentioned something about his parent s buying him this house because they were tired of all his cars which cant be farther from the truth. House is not owned by his parents.

Last edited:
City ordinance is vehicle must be tagged and insured to be parked on street. All are. They must be moved every 72 hours.
ford hasn't been moved in 3 days due to birds build a nest in the bed and we didnt want to disturb them. Hes not dailying the f100 because no ac and hot as hell. It's going back in garage when birds leave.

so if the F100 in the driveway or the street :confused:

Sounds like the city says you are good to use the curb, so fuck 'em, you are good to use the curb. proving that they haven't moved in 72 hours is the hard part, but really they (city) need to mark your tires and that is when the clock starts. 3 days without moving the chalk line or cleaning them off = proof you haven't moved it and don't care.

hell, one of my neighbors who i never talked to before because he was 3 houses away, only thing he ever said to me was to let me know he saw them (city) marking my tire. :laughing: so let him call the cops, get it marked, roll them forward 2 inches and leave them again :laughing:

Crossing the property line 6 feet?
If you only have 2 cars and one Sunday a month have bible study and park in front of your neighbors house, no big deal
But if your buddy is running at capacity 24/7, and then parking his junk 6 feet over the property line, he's being a dick, he needs to manage his shit better.
From a guy that often has 6 cars, a car trailer, and random visitors, and still on pretty good terms with my neighbors, don't park shit in front of other people's houses

Its very rare that the truck is nosed in front of their place. It's all public street here. Not on his actual property.

Neighbor also made some comments about our "initiative" basically called us lazy with junk vehicles. He keeps up on yard maintenance. Grass is green and trimmed. Bushes are clipped as needed. Other neighbors yards dont look 100% but who cares.

quit talking to him? My sister made up a big banner that said "fuck you george" and hung it off their porch. it was like a 4'x9' sign or something?

george was her neighbor

so if the F100 in the driveway or the street :confused:

Sounds like the city says you are good to use the curb, so fuck 'em, you are good to use the curb. proving that they haven't moved in 72 hours is the hard part, but really they (city) need to mark your tires and that is when the clock starts. 3 days without moving the chalk line or cleaning them off = proof you haven't moved it and don't care.

hell, one of my neighbors who i never talked to before because he was 3 houses away, only thing he ever said to me was to let me know he saw them (city) marking my tire. :laughing: so let him call the cops, get it marked, roll them forward 2 inches and leave them again :laughing:

Currently on street. We played musical cars the other day to get something out of garage and it was too late to fire it up and move it back in. So he parked his jeep in garage because it's quiet.

Helping a Buddy out today CoronaXJ with a gate project in the driveway. Next door neighbors walks over and starts talking to buddy.

He start off with asking "what's with all the cars?" And "you're reputation in the neighbor is your house looks like a used car lot"
Right here I would have stopped him, and told him to mind his own business. end of conversation.

quit talking to him? My sister made up a big banner that said "fuck you george" and hung it off their porch. it was like a 4'x9' sign or something?

george was her neighbor

We thought about making a used carlot sign with his name on it and hanging out front. :lmao:​​​​​​ . There was a car lot comment made.

pretty sure it's illegal to mark cars these days. There was a court decision last year.

This.
And
This is why tracts SUCK!
Neighbor should rethink his tact!
Everyone needs 2 rides.
And ask mr. Nosey who pays the taxes on the property

Its very rare that the truck is nosed in front of their place. It's all public street here. Not on his actual property.

I get it, my situation is the same, but I feel it's disrespectful to park in front of someone's home, regardless of whether it's legal or not.
I've been juggling cars for years, but make a solid effort to be respectful of my neighbors.

also, you can have 6 cars, or you can let your yard get ratty, but if you have 6 cars, and your yard is a mess, you're that guy. You can get away with murder if you've got a yard guy

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/7162...for-parking-enforcement-violates-constitution

Court Says Using Chalk On Tires For Parking Enforcement Violates Constitution

Matthew S. SchwartzApril 23, 201910:20 AM ET
gettyimages-453397656-1-_custom-adca3e954660265e7d51b49a2a4281e660d44975-s700-c85.jpg

A traffic enforcement officer chalks tires in Arvada, Colo., in 2014. Physically marking a tire without a warrant is a violation of the Fourth Amendment, a federal appeals court ruled.

Kent Nishimura/Denver Post via Getty Images
The next time parking enforcement officers use chalk to mark your tires, they might be acting unconstitutionally.

A federal appeals court ruled Monday that "chalking" is a violation of the Fourth Amendment.

The case was brought by Alison Taylor, a Michigan woman whom the court describes as a "frequent recipient of parking tickets." The city of Saginaw, Mich., like countless other cities around the country, uses chalk to mark the tires of cars to enforce time limits on parking.

By the time Taylor received her 15th citation in just a few years, she decided to go after the city — and specifically after parking enforcement officer Tabitha Hoskins.

Hoskins, Taylor alleged in her lawsuit, was a "prolific" chalker. Every single one of Taylor's 15 tickets was issued by Hoskins after she marked a tire with chalk, and then circled back to see if Taylor's car had moved. That chalking, Taylor argued, was unconstitutional.

"Trespassing upon a privately-owned vehicle parked on a public street to place a chalk mark to begin gathering information to ultimately impose a government sanction is unconstitutional under the Fourth Amendment," Taylor's lawyer, Philip Ellison, wrote in a court filing.

Article continues after sponsor message

A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 6th Circuit unanimously agreed. Chalking tires is a kind of trespass, Judge Bernice Donald wrote for the panel, and it requires a warrant. The decision affects the 6th Circuit, which includes Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee.

The Fourth Amendment protects people from "unreasonable searches and seizures." To determine whether a violation has occurred, the court first asks whether the government's conduct counts as a search; if so, it asks whether the search was reasonable.

The court found that chalking is indeed a "search" for purposes of the Fourth Amendment, because government officials physically trespass upon a constitutionally protected area to obtain information. Just as the Supreme Court ruled in 2012 that sticking a GPS tracker to a car counted as a "search," so is marking a tire with chalk to figure out how long it has been parked, the court wrote.

And that search wasn't reasonable, the court said. The city searches vehicles "that are parked legally, without probable cause, or even so much as 'individualized suspicion of wrongdoing' — the touchstone of the reasonableness standard," the court wrote.

Orin Kerr@OrinKerr
Fascinating CA6 opinion today holding that chalking a tire for parking enforcement -- to see if the car had been there a while in violation of parking rules -- violates the 4th Amendment. Not sure where I come out on it, but fun issue. Here's a thread. http://www.opn.ca6.uscourts.gov/opinions.pdf/19a0076p-06.pdf … #N

2:42 PM - Apr 22, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy

293 people are talking about this

"We don't think everyone deserves free parking," Ellison, the attorney who brought the case, told The Associated Press. "But the process Saginaw selected is unconstitutional. ... I'm very glad the three judges who got this case took it seriously. It affects so many people."

Law professor Orin Kerr, noting that he had never seen a chalking case before, said parking enforcement officers could sidestep the constitutional issue altogether by simply taking a photo of the car rather than using chalk. "That way parking enforcement can learn the placement of the car [without] physically marking it," Kerr wrote.

On her Facebook page, Taylor — the recipient of frequent parking tickets — delighted in the fact that future law students would get to read about her case while studying the Fourth Amendment. "That's definitely the most exciting part!" she wrote. "I've helped change the law."

Conversation with neighbor should have ended within a minute of its start. Buddy is way too nice for putting up with his shit. Future conversations should be kept to your buddy telling neighbor to leave and STFU

pretty sure it's illegal to mark cars these days. There was a court decision last year.

"The decision affects the 6th Circuit, which includes Michigan, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee."

Sorry Washington and California. This does not apply to you?

I get it, my situation is the same, but I feel it's disrespectful to park in front of someone's home, regardless of whether it's legal or not.
I've been juggling cars for years, but make a solid effort to be respectful of my neighbors.

also, you can have 6 cars, or you can let your yard get ratty, but if you have 6 cars, and your yard is a mess, you're that guy. You can get away with murder if you've got a yard guy

So I'm used to a very different setting. I live in a neighborhood that have homes up to $700k in them. My dead end has 2 houses with project cars out front all the time, one neighbor has a semi and several cars, another with no tags on a junker. Another neighbor with some crazy ghetto shitboxes.

These houses are average less money. But newer homes with yuppy people.
My neighborhood is much older and all the neighbors park wherever. And we all get together to drink beer and help each other out. These neighbors aren't those people. Very wierd.
Roll the garage door down before putting vehicle in park people.

I think he needs to start daily driving a 1987 chevy celebrity with 3 different color body pannels, missing at least 1 hub cap but 1o0% street legal, plated, and insured.

It doesn't sound like he's got a used car lot/ junk yard going.

The neighbor(s) can FUUUUCK right off.

this.

Worry about your own fawkin yard hoss... followed by a smack on the back and point to his yard (as in gtfouta here). If there is an HOA it needs to be in the guidelines, OR the c&r's.

ergo: fawk off.

I think he needs to start daily driving a 1987 chevy celebrity with 3 different color body pannels, missing at least 1 hub cap but 1o0% street legal, plated, and insured.

It doesn't sound like he's got a used car lot/ junk yard going.

:laughing: hes got an xj that's pretty clean and about to be lifted on 33s, long arms and bumpers. That'll fit in well here. :stirthepot:

Top Back Refresh