What's new

Whole house generator, air cooled vs water

Whats the KW rating on that Green Mamba ?

He said 25KVA. So if you're running electric heaters, 25KW. Real generators are rated in KVA so you need to know the power factor of your loads, you can estimate .80 for average residential non-heating loads. So about 20kw.

He said 25KVA. So if you're running electric heaters, 25KW. Real generators are rated in KVA so you need to know the power factor of your loads, you can estimate .80 for average residential non-heating loads. So about 20kw.

Yup , you win! and damn the price has gone up!

It sounds like air cooled is the right answer for this application.

This is not for my shop, an off grid house or a grow operation. Beautiful woman, 10 year old girl and an 81 year old man. 22kw will run anything in the house that they could ever try to turn on. My goal is they never know the difference that the power is out. I work and bust my ass to provide, this is a no brainer.
We are pushing down all the trees starting Monday, hope to be in the dry mid October. I had posted the rough floor plan awhile ago. It is not my dream house but it is going to be damn nice for the girls and the old man. I had thought about solar, but I don’t believe that there would be enough sun hours with the trees that are staying up around the house.

It sounds like air cooled is the right answer for this application.

This is not for my shop, an off grid house or a grow operation. Beautiful woman, 10 year old girl and an 81 year old man. 22kw will run anything in the house that they could ever try to turn on. My goal is they never know the difference that the power is out.
I posted in the other thread here on generators that I run a 16kw air cooled generac on propane. When power goes out and the generator kicks in it is not instantly with no noticeable interruption. Power is out for 30-45 seconds before generator power is switched in. It waits to make sure it is a power loss and not a spike etc then the generator kicks in and gets up to speed before it transfers power back on.

I don't expect to be running my stove, dryer, welder, plasma, compressor, AC, and then turn on every fucking light and TV in my house when power goes out, so I'm more than fine with 16kw. The longest it's run was 7-8 days in winter time about 2 years ago, I used about 35% on a 500 gallon propane tank over that period. I didn't really change anything I did, normal electric stove and well use, TV and normal lights and it supplied everything I needed to run.

I have nat gas stove water heater, and furnace.The only real big load is the A/c which is a must for me. I have an aged mother who will wilt within an hour in the summer without a/c OP if you have similar needs you may want to add up all your loads if you wish to run the entire house without killing any circuits when running the gen before deciding on gen size

AN alternative for a transfer switch ?

http://www.interlockkit.com/?utm_sou...splay-GeoFence

MENU
INTERLOCK KIT SELECTION
ACCESSORIES
RESOURCES
Toggle navigation

Generator Interlock Technologies makes it easy to connect your generator to your electrical panel.
SHOP
Our Interlock Kits are an easier,
less expensive alternative to
manual transfer switches.
1576871821588.jpg

SHOPHOME RESIDENTIAL KITS
ABOUTINTERLOCK KIT
SHOPCOMMERCIAL KITS
TOP SELLINGRECOMMENDATIONS

Horizontal Throw (Left-Right) Single Handle Breaker Offset 7/8" LEFT Distance from columns: 1¼" Spaces Between Breaker Columns: ½" 2 panel spaces required for this kit
K-4010Shop Now

Horizontal Throw (Left-Right) Single Handle Breaker Offset 7/8" LEFT Distance from columns: 1¼" Spaces Between Breaker Columns: ½" 2 panel spaces required for this kit
K-5010Shop Now

Vertical Throw (Up-Down) 4-Handle Breaker Centered OVER columns Distance from columns: 1¼" Spaces Between Breaker Columns: ½" 2 panel spaces required for this kit.
K-1010Shop Now
THE ORIGINAL INTERLOCK KIT: AFFORDABLE, RELIABLE, OVER 50,000 KITS SOLD!
Without an expensive transfer switch, you can’t safely plug a generator into your home’s electrical panel. So when the power goes out, your household systems and devices won’t get generator power through your home’s electrical system. That almost defeats the purpose of having a generator.

Instead, you’ll need extension cords to connect your household devices to your generator; running these cords through your home creates the hazards of tripping and falling, and even causing a fire. Other machines, such as your furnace or water heater, can’t be connected by cord; these devices simply won’t work until power is restored.

Thankfully, there’s a solution - a way to connect your generator to your panel without a transfer switch: The Interlock Kit. The Interlock Kit is a less expensive alternative to transfer switches and generator sub-panels. An electrician can easily mount the Kit to your existing electrical panel. Once the Kit is installed, you’ll be able to safely and conveniently power household systems and devices through your electrical system.

The Interlock Kit is simple and ingenious; it provides a mechanical Interlock, which acts as a manual transfer switch so that the utility and generator breakers cannot be turned on at the same time. The Kit isolates the two systems so that power from the generator will never back feed into utility lines, and vice-versa. That’s safer for your generator, your electrical system – and utility workers who could be shocked while repairing a nearby line.

We offer Kits to replace manual transfer switches for most brands of electrical panels including:
  • Siemens
  • ITE
  • Murray
  • Westinghouse
  • Thomas & Betts
  • Cutler Hammer
  • Challenger
  • Square D
  • Bryant
  • Crouse Hinds
  • General Electric (GE)
  • Feed Thru Panels

You can trust the quality, safety, and effectiveness of our Interlock Kits. Our Kits meet the strict requirements of the National Electrical Code (NEC) and the National Fire Protection Code; they’re also tested and certified by MET Laboratories – a leading independent electrical testing and certification lab. Better yet: Our kits are made in the USA out of high-quality stainless steel; they won’t break or bend, and they will last for years.

If you want to get better use out of your generator - for less than the cost to purchase and install a transfer switch - contact us about our Interlock Kits. Call 804.726.2448 to place an order or learn more!
Advantages of the Interlock Kit:
  • Faster and easier to install than transfer switches or generator panels; that means less cost to consumers and higher margins for contractors
  • Mounts to the existing panel, so no additional wall space is required
  • Safely feeds the existing electrical panel, permitting convenient use of all original circuits, without need for extensive rewiring
  • Meets all NEC requirements for optional standby systems (Article 702)
made-in-the-usa.png
QUICK LINKS

CONTACT US

Social Media:

vsecure.png

© 2020 [url]WWW.INTERLOCKKIT.COM. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.[/URL]
SELL ONLINE WITH VOLUSION.
WE ACCEPT:

Last edited:
B70FA3BE-BFBF-40C1-83DE-AA9D685F90A3.jpeg
I have nat gas stove water heater, and furnace.The only real big load is the A/c which is a must for me. I have an aged mother who will wilt within an hour in the summer without a/c OP if you have similar needs you may want to add up all your loads if you wish to run the entire house without killing any circuits when running the gen before deciding on gen size

22kw is the largest genrac air cooled. Genrac because they are the most common, and parts and repair are common in the area. I am running propane since that’s the only way to have gas where I am. Gas stove/oven, gas wall pack in the garage, gas wall pack in the screened porch, on demand gas water heater, gas heat/heat pump a/c.
22kw is likely more than necessary. I am not sure what most family units are like. My wife and child are good at following directions, the 81 year old man not so much. If the back up generator is going to be of any use, they need to be able to do whatever ridiculous thing they Could think of without worry. The whole proposition of building a house to take care of my father and have my family involved in his care is good stress. I am doing everything I can to make it otherwise a low stress environment.

I am hoping to have a 500gal underground tank for the generator and the two wall packs, separate 500gallon Or just one 1000gallon for all . Going to figure that Shortly. Waiting on price quotes. In a few days when all the trees I want to take down and the few I lose to collateral damage are on the ground I will Have a solid plan on rank placement.
Going to start pushing down trees, hope to be dried in mid to late October.

Have been looking at a 1000 or 1250 gallon tank fer propane but not the long and obnoxious dimention tank this one was made and shipped out of Quincy Ill and was larger diameter hence not as long to make ul the volume of 1000 or 1250 dont remember which.

It was called (tank to fill other tanks)

Would place in a vault for lack of better term cinder block below grade on concrete slab not buried in ground.

Top Back Refresh