What's new

Who Is the "Go To" For Prebuilt 3rd Members

That's all depends on your local guy. I'd rather go to someone who does toyota 3rds all day as there are tricks that a random shop may not know. My first local job lasted like a month and blew. I forgot to specify a solid spacer and he didn't bring it up either. :homer:​​​​​​

As far as warrantys, I've had very mixed results. I'd far rather buy the best shit with no warranty over OK shit with a warranty. Buying a set of gears isn't a huge deal, but having them fail out in the middle of nowhere, or the beginning of a week long trip you towed 16 hours to get to really sucks.

I agree, I don't have many shops local that specialize in gear setup. The ones that do don't have much experience with Toyota stuff. I'd end up doing the setup myself before taking it to a local shop that "thinks" they can get it done. I've done it before, with success, but it took a whole weekend to do a pair. That was over 10 years ago, when I had more time than money. I still don't have more money than time, but the balance is in better favor of just buying one that's ready to drop in.

( I feel a 9.5 is as strong as a Ford 9 any day)

:laughing:

Such a broad statement with the wide variety of options for the 9". The 9.5 is pretty sweet except for the fact that the pinion spline is the same as an 8". Some seem to have great luck, while others have broken them.

If you can pickup a ff80 rear for a decent price, I think that's sweet, but starting from scratch for a custom housing, it doesn't pencil out imo.

FF.

that is what trips the scale.. even a mark 5, factory nodular disc rear cant match a fjz 80 ff...

Agreed.

Lots of 9r options out there.

FF.

that is what trips the scale.. even a mark 5, factory nodular disc rear cant match a fjz 80 ff...

Agreed.

Lots of 9r options out there.

Full float isn't a huge deal in a trail rig, preferable, yes. But not end all. I'd rather have a 35 spline semi float 9" or D60 that a 30 spline full float toyota.

Stock 9" stuff sucks, I wouldn't ever start with stock 9" stuff, pointless.

Looks like zuk refuses to work on clamshells and arb's, :laughing:

I'd like to regear my 96 4runner. I was thinking to use zuk, but I guess not. Ecgs does the clamshells and will do an exchange, which would be nice, so I don't have the diff out for weeks waiting on shipping.

Daves in norcal still around?

Ima give a shout out to Cores West. 1299 for a fully built grizzly locked 529 v6 diff with a lifetime warranty. Only problem was it took 3 months to get because he couldn't get housings due (like everything else) to covid. There was a grizzly locker shortage too for awhile. Good guy to deal with tho. I even shipped him my v6 housing so he could get it done. He builds them in house in Texas.

Looks like zuk refuses to work on clamshells
I know he’s done them before. I guess the carrier bearings are hard to get out. If you fuck the case up its big $$$ from Toyota.

You remember the bad vendors thread at thee other place ?
His was the longest running one in there...

IF you're ok with Marlins business model it will be fine tho:laughing:

I'd like to regear my 96 4runner. I was thinking to use zuk, but I guess not. Ecgs does the clamshells and will do an exchange, which would be nice, so I don't have the diff out for weeks waiting on shipping.

You remember the bad vendors thread at thee other place ?
His was the longest running one in there...
if tho

IF you're ok with Marlins business model it will be fine tho:laughing:
Are you referring to Davez?

got to focus on what makes you money. im still giving my money to yotamasters, make sure to ask for austin.

Ima give a shout out to Cores West. 1299 for a fully built grizzly locked 529 v6 diff with a lifetime warranty. Only problem was it took 3 months to get because he couldn't get housings due (like everything else) to covid. There was a grizzly locker shortage too for awhile. Good guy to deal with tho. I even shipped him my v6 housing so he could get it done. He builds them in house in Texas.

that is cullen aka montezuma from the old place, hes a solid dude. get a random call from him every couple of years.

Are you referring to Davez?
The guy in norcal is spelled with a z right?
He had the multi page flamefest of and by both sides of the opinion !
The daves back east is a solid shop last time I dealt with him!
but Im sure I have it backwards,or sideways
what say you Aisin

The guy in norcal is spelled with a z right?
He had the multi page flamefest of and by both sides of the opinion !
The daves back east is a solid shop last time I dealt with him!
but Im sure I have it backwards,or sideways
what say you Aisin
You are correct on the Davez. ZUK is a stand up dude. I called that dude a few years ago on a Sunday on his cell phone to ask him questions about installing a locker in a clamshell diff. He remembered who I was. He built a 3rd for me in 2007.

I'm going to need two fj80 ELockers done on a regear, good to see Yotamasters come up, And I'll remember Austin also.

got to focus on what makes you money. im still giving my money to yotamasters, make sure to ask for austin.

Dude can do whatever he wants, just posting relevant info. I'd like to have both diffs done at the same place.

Also, we get it, your boyfriend works at yotamasters:flipoff2:, they don't set up diffs. They sell TG stuff. They also don't do e lockers or clamshell diffs....

that is cullen aka montezuma from the old place, hes a solid dude. get a random call from him every couple of years.

Did he have the chopped up sidekick that ended up getting a V8 swap? Or am I thinking of someone else?

Just differentials has served me well. Both thirds I'm currently running are 8", ARB rear. Detroit front, Diamonds, 4:88, 37" stickys and holding well. I've had more than one Toyota vendor build me a third or two...All of them failed. Two at the same time during KOH coming into to pit 2A.. '16 I believe.
The spare I carry was also built from JD's... Haven't needed it, just sits in the tow rig tool box. YMMV.

Just differentials has served me well. Both thirds I'm currently running are 8", ARB rear. Detroit front, Diamonds, 4:88, 37" stickys and holding well. I've had more than one Toyota vendor build me a third or two...All of them failed. Two at the same time during KOH coming into to pit 2A.. '16 I believe.
The spare I carry was also built from JD's... Haven't needed it, just sits in the tow rig tool box. YMMV.

4600? Build thread?

Sexton off-road has taken good care of me and all my thirds and axle shaft needs. Had an issue with a high pinion third and they got it fixed under warranty through Yukon without a dollar out of my pocket.

Pitted a KOH and helped at a couple races - my buddy is co-dog for Sexton. Straight up stand up guy.

Davez like Diamond Springs Davez?

Pass.

4600? Build thread?
Yes. I never started a thread, the truck was built from nothing in three months before the first EMC...We didn't take time to document much. It has since evolved quite a bit. If you would like information I would be happy to share it from where it started, to where it is now.

Yes. I never started a thread, the truck was built from nothing in three months before the first EMC...We didn't take time to document much. It has since evolved quite a bit. If you would like information I would be happy to share it from where it started, to where it is now.

I try to keep track of 4600, especially toyota.

Are the 8" still holding up 5 years later. What's the failure point now?

I try to keep track of 4600, especially toyota.

Are the 8" still holding up 5 years later. What's the failure point now?
Yes, they're holding fine now that I replaced them with JD units. Failure? Gear setup and improperly tightened ring gear bolts.

Edit: To be clear not the ones purchased from JD.

I'll also vouch for JustDifferentials, Carl knows his stuff when it comes to Toyota diffs. He was recommended to be by numerous Yota resources in the PNW.

X3 on JustDifferentials! Carl and the crew there are awesome and know their stuff. Good prices, quality products, a ton of knowledge, etc.

Top Back Refresh