What's new

Who Is the "Go To" For Prebuilt 3rd Members

Brecklin

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Appleton WI
I'm looking to buy a 5.29 third member for a 79-95 mini truck axle. Years ago I set up a couple myself, I dont have the time anymore and would rather just buy one thats ready to drop in. I was leaning towards Marlin, but do you guys have any other suggestions on vendors?

Never had a problem with any of the fully built Trail Gear thirds I have bought. Several of my buddies have had good luck as well. Check with some of their vendors such as Cores West, Low Range or Global off road supply. It'll be at your door step in 2 days in most cases. Randys ring n pinion too maybe? No experience there tho.

Well
editing this 08\24 in ( )
(Fail gear)
the other guy's new housing and detroit I got brand new lasted less than a 1000 miles before shelling a gear setup...
So, anyone other than "out of stock " (marlin) do yota thirds? Anyone?
I may be in the market also...
(had some done by yotaman norcal ,jurys still out)
(NOT the rearend shop in santa rosa ca!)

Last edited:
OP where are you located?
I've had good luck with Sierra Gear and Axle and with River City Differential in the Sac area.

Thanks for the input guys.

It's not Tuesday so flame suit on, but wtf is up with the 27 spline and 29 spline? Are they talking pinion being 29 spline? I thought all Yota axles were 30 spline?

Didn’t see a location. Morgan owns Sidetracked in Folsom CA and has always done me good.

I'm up in WI, there's nobody local here.

I just ordered from Yotamasters. Thanks guys!

My experience with prebuilt 3rds is that you are better off finding a local gear shop and having them buy all the stuff and build it for you. Then if you have an issue you can physically go in and show them the problem and not have to make phone calls and hope they will handle it.

My experience with prebuilt 3rds is that you are better off finding a local gear shop and having them buy all the stuff and build it for you. Then if you have an issue you can physically go in and show them the problem and not have to make phone calls and hope they will handle it.

This is exactly what I just did last month. And it was the same price as a prebuilt one from davez off-road.

Yeah same thing I was quoted an amount for a ford 9in 3rd built. I went to a local gear shop and got a quote for install and was slightly cheaper for me to order all the stuff and have him do the install plus I had the local guy I could ask questions to about issues or whatever I needed. Never had an issue so that's good.

ECGS is a meh. My buddy broke a R&P and they warrentied it saying the gears were setup wrong which was neat. It did blow up in the middle of a Moab trip which was a bummer, though.

The packaging on my thirds were subpar and the boxes showed up with holes on all sides and missing ARB small hardware/fittings. Had to go back and forth with customer service and prove the box was damaged before they'd replace the $12 missing part. I was a bit annoyed since it was a $2600~ order and i was trying to get my shit together before a big wheeling trip but it is what it is.

Sexton off-road has taken good care of me and all my thirds and axle shaft needs. Had an issue with a high pinion third and they got it fixed under warranty through Yukon without a dollar out of my pocket.

That's all depends on your local guy. I'd rather go to someone who does toyota 3rds all day as there are tricks that a random shop may not know. My first local job lasted like a month and blew. I forgot to specify a solid spacer and he didn't bring it up either. :homer:​​​​​​

As far as warrantys, I've had very mixed results. I'd far rather buy the best shit with no warranty over OK shit with a warranty. Buying a set of gears isn't a huge deal, but having them fail out in the middle of nowhere, or the beginning of a week long trip you towed 16 hours to get to really sucks.

ZUK in Chandler Arizona.

I second Zuk...
I cant think of one single individual who has set up more third members than he has.

My LC 80 9.5 rear and hp 8 front are doing fine, behind a 4.3 GM v6.
( I feel a 9.5 is as strong as a Ford 9 any day)

Carl at Just Differentials in central Washington is awesome. He has a killer reputation for Toyota diffs.

I second Zuk...
I cant think of one single individual who has set up more third members than he has.

My LC 80 9.5 rear and hp 8 front are doing fine, behind a 4.3 GM v6.
( I feel a 9.5 is as strong as a Ford 9 any day)

He built a high pinion 3rd for me in February of 2007 that is still going strong as of today.

Top Back Refresh