What's new

TX who do ya'll think makes the best automotive tools?

ArTi54N

YouTuber
Member Number
Loc
Republic of the Rio Grande
I used to have a close friend who had a snap-on franchise.. I used to go around with him, 2 days a week, and we considering having me work for him with my own route in his area.. but we decided against it, in the end..

I still prefer Snap-On over Matco or anyone else..

I purchased my dad many tools, from my friend..

I have a bit of everything now, a lot of snap on/blue point, matco, mac, wera, stahwille, craftsman, sunex, etc. I dont there there is one brand where everything is the best across the board for everything. The job you are doing determines what the best tool is. There are times where your favorite ratchet just wont fit or you cant get the right angle so you gotta use your backup. I like snap on 3/8 ratchets for heavier work, but prefer a matco 1/4 for smaller stuff, and my mac bit ratchets are the best investment I ever made. But thats based on what I am doing and how I am doing it.

Dont let the big sexy ad campaigns or company logos on a race car trick you into thinking one brand is the best for everything.

Let me get this straight...
You complained about having to post your state when your dumbass posred in the classified forum, but now that youre in the newb you still posted your state.....

I have been ordering Tekton now... I really like them.

Had craftsman before that but they have gone downhill imho.

For home use, GearWrench is about as expensive as I'd ever spend. I cruise offerup/c-list for guys selling buckets of old Craftsman tools too, the old US made shit is good, their china made shit isn't any better than any other chinese shit. Sunex and Tekton are also pretty good.

I wrench for a living with a box full of tools from all the big names but I won't spend the money on new Snap-On anything anymore, I don't even walk out to the truck if/when he shows up. They keep jacking the price up on the same shit over and over so I'm done with em, most of their tools aren't any better than the equivalent Mac or Matco. For home use, any of the truck brands are too large an investment to make any sense at all if you're buying new.

I don't wrench for a living,but I do have a decent collection. Sunnex, Tekton, GearWrench, Knipex, Kobalt, some Craftsman.
I did put together sets of Snap On combo line wrenches from Ebay because there's no comparison.

I don't wrench for a living,but I do have a decent collection. Sunnex, Tekton, GearWrench, Knipex, Kobalt, some Craftsman.
I did put together sets of Snap On combo line wrenches from Ebay because there's no comparison.

Line wrenches are one of the few things that FapOff does do better than the rest, one of these years I'll find a used set for the right money.

Line wrenches are one of the few things that FapOff does do better than the rest, one of these years I'll find a used set for the right money.

I put sets together from Ebay 1 pc at a time. On average I think I spent $17 each but they don't match and some of them are not pretty. I don't care if they're shiny as long as they don't strip the fittings!

They're all combos with an open end and a line wrench of the same size on each one.

I put sets together from Ebay 1 pc at a time. On average I think I spent $17 each but they don't match and some of them are not pretty. I don't care if they're shiny as long as they don't strip the fittings!

They're all combos with an open end and a line wrench of the same size on each one.

I traded an ls motor years ago for a bunch of new snapon stuff. I got a metric and standard 5 and 6pc set but wish I had got the open end/line wrench style combo like you describe instead.

I purchased my dad many tools, from my friend..

the tools I got from my snap-on friend were "blue-point" or something like that.. I see my dad using some of them, all the time..

oh and my friend was making a huge profit, working his area.. so yeah, I know snap-on is over priced..

the tools I got from my snap-on friend were "blue-point" or something like that.. I see my dad using some of them, all the time..

oh and my friend was making a huge profit, working his area.. so yeah, I know snap-on is over priced..

Blue Point is their off-shore line, lots of it is rebranded stuff you can get for much less on Amazon with someone else's name on it.

I have been ordering Tekton now... I really like them.

Had craftsman before that but they have gone downhill imho.

x2 on Tekton. I just got all three metric sets (1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives), and am really happy with them. They don't skip sizes, offer shallow and deep well, and have good prices and warranty. The rewards on their website is also really nice.

I have a lot of Williams socket sets. They are Snap-on's industrial brand. Very nice stuff and cheaper than Snap-on.

I have been buying Gearwrench and Tekton and have been happy with the quality of both for basic wrenching.

Top Back Refresh