What's new

White Rhino - Ranger

WHITE RHINO

Old school
Member Number
Loc
Texas
This build is a continuation of my original build started in 2003 and it has evolved over the years. The original thread at the link below has 326,000 views.
https://bit.ly/37VVnjh

Original first post:
Well I've been getting alot of Pm's with questions about my ranger so i decided to finally post up my build up. It all started off with a $400 88 ranger STX regular cab long bed. I lifted it 6"s upgraded the axles a little then i met some new buddys that all have crawlers. So i decided to ditch the TTB front for a HP full width Dana 44. I bought a 44 off of craigslist for $200 with all the cast wedges on it. I was going to run them with stock radius arms, bushings, and coils but i decided i wanted to flex a lot more than that. I Plated the stock arms grinded them down so i could sleave them with 2" 1/4 wall DOM extended them around a foot and got currie HD johnny joints. made the cross member/t-case skid in a few hours got pre-bent Blue torch 1 3/4 DOM shock hoops welded all that crap on. I got a great deal on 14" 2.0 fox air shocks so i was pretty much ready to flex. I scored a massive deal on 8 lug outers/ 5.13's/detroit/ recentered H1 double beadlocks/6 38" TSL radials half tread/high steer/ heimed dom tierod/ Eaton 14 bolt rear end with disk brake conversion with 5.13s and lincoln locked all for around $1200 I decided to stick with leafs in the rear and picked up some 63" chevys for $50 and inboarded them and made some shackles.

Update As of 6/23/2020:

Current Specs:

88 Reg Cab Ranger Frame
90 Extendo Cab
2.9 Liter V-6 (fancy)
Rear radiator

Mitu Trans 5-speed
Stubler Doubler BW1350-1354

Front End:

88 High Pinion King Pin 60, 5.13's, Welded, Plated Knuckles, HighSteer, 35 Spline Yukons with Yukon Hubs
3 Link up front (2" .25wall DOM with 1.25" Heims for links and panhard.
2.5" SAW Airshocks with Tri-Nitrate Coated Shafts
PSC Full hydro. Double ended ram, P Pump

Rear End:

63" Chevy Springs, Redrilled
Eaton H072 with Discs. Shaved/Trussed/Modified housing, welded, 5.14s

Cage/Tube Work:

Full Exo around Cab, all of the tubing is 1.75" .120wall DOM.

Wheels/Tires:

44" Pitbull Rockers
Performace Cryogenics Recentered H1 Wheels, Trailworthy Fab PVC Inserts

the beginning:

Image065.jpg

muddin.jpg

the mud days:

IMG_6503.jpg

went to the early 90's front clip:

today-7.jpg

Then 1 Tons 44" Pitbulls etc.

Last edited:
Recent 2020 Updates:

After about 7 years of sitting in my friends field the old Ranger needed some love. I moved to Texas in 2019 and finally had it shipped out. My buddy Mario cleaned her up for me and added the front clip.

UaDWu72.jpg

u19ekjV.jpg

OA6WQiz.jpg

So I was tired of the exhaust poisoning me from the holes I cut in the floor for the cab swap, on a regular cab frame. I got a little happy with the sawzall, but my plan is not to basically raise the floor boards in the open areas below, to make it easier to work on. This will also set me up for either flat bellying or an inevitable V8/Atlas combo in the future. I'll also be redoing the janky shifters while I am at it.

The interior has always been annoying to me as I used to work on everyone else's crap and never my own so I didn't bother doing anything inside. My plan was to start at the back of the cab and work my way forward. Access panels will be added in the shifter area and also by the top t-case support. The t-case shifters have always been a pain and the front case was usually stuck in low due to the stock shifter set up. Once all of this is done, I'll work on making a dash and after that working on the wiring. I picked up a 12voltguy panel on FB marketplace a few months back, but I am very colorblind so we will see how it goes.

1CML2RM.jpg

m4Mvoho.jpg

ibawkBy.jpg

agxwH6C.jpg

xRiefJQ.jpg

VZUS294.jpg

GD1wgEI.jpg

Cut out the old rusty dash tube and cleaned it up. Plated each side of the cab and remounted it.

4pAko6O.jpg

Co1i4IZ.jpg

P62jDjp.jpg

wRGTe7w.jpg

pcVgiZT.jpg

XbdjJhp.jpg

ob3Lr7c.jpg

XGm9THE.jpg

zDlvj63.jpg

welded the cab to the cage because fuck it.

KOubxUA.jpg

8pbnw7Z.jpg

Test drive was successful although drive flanges on concrete suck

Wr0l5f5.jpg

​​​​​​​
hR1LydG.jpg

The clean up continues:

Lighting and sound deadening added
k9RM1a9.jpg

uSXJ9FS.jpg

The front axle was in decent shape, but I pulled it apart to rebuild. No cracks or sign of any stress on the plated knuckles

Rc2amJM.jpg

4nF7jFB.jpg

R6KUtxE.jpg

P8kXg0w.jpg

0neN5lq.jpg

7zzwmrS.jpg

TZB84VY.jpg

F5PxBVE.jpg

tjgnLqR.jpg

WgIZ1DM.jpg

ItFqhlD.jpg

Decided to paint the cab and wheels:

h6txrbt.jpg

8lBIoeV.jpg

9CTBx3S.jpg

'Murica

Looks killer! Great job breathing new life into this build.

A few updates as I continue to clean the ol' ranger up.

Cut out the janky exhaust and made a new set up
cFG9cY5.jpg

UCyKXmw.jpg

DY7L0sj.jpg

The flywheel stripped some teeth off so I pulled transmission and t cases. Resealed, painted and reinstalled. New clutch, flywheel, clutch master and slave as well. Cleaned up the inside of frame and painted everything including bottom side of new floor boards.

SYBioDU.jpg

4arKkui.jpg

Y5gTLXC.jpg

The front tube work has always been missing triangulation and I was worried that the pan hard would rip off at some point so I threw some new tube up front.

6TrUEej.jpg

9ZhzFGa.jpg

VQDUzI5.jpg

DGijblA.jpg

While I was at that, I added a few gussets

U97Ghi0.jpg

The winch plate was super bent from all the suck down action over the years. It shouldn't bend anymore.

uEZokl7.jpg

QnjrA2e.jpg

Next up is limiting straps and bumps stops. Probably will just do poly bumps as I cant justify air bumps at the moment. After that I need to paint all the tubing.

Ranger is looking good, always one of my favourite builds. Good to see it still around.

all the updates look great and love that you still have this rig and keep making it better :smokin:

A few updates

Rear skins are done:
ROkKgPw.jpg

ummBpLM.jpg

XiUMsl8.jpg

Tailgate is done:
MFm9rWP.jpg

vWsAhN4.jpg

VeDWdwK.jpg

Cage is fully painted now:
j6XzJbH.jpg

2.9 for life! Pulled the upper intake, cleaned throttle body and manifold thoroughly. New sensors all around. Then I pulled the fuel manifold and injectors, cleaned the manifold, and replaced the injectors. While I was at it I replaced both valve cover seals and did some painting. It runs 1000% better now.
rere.jpg

re4.jpg

re3.jpg

Top Back Refresh