What's new

Which steering box for ram assist?

mr. lemons

Member Number
Loc
Alaska
Here's the situation, I have a first gen 4runner on 39s, I street drive it to the trail, sometimes 6 hours+, and I'm putting a PSC ram on. I have a bunch of spare parts kicking around in the barn, like 5 steering boxes.
Here is the question, Should I run an IFS steering box with or without the centering valve? Does anyone think it would make a difference in this application?

Photo attached because folks only like threads with photos...

Attachments

• IMG_7680.JPG
    IMG_7680.JPG
    423.8 KB · Views: 230
Matt I assume?

It shouldn't matter since you're just robbing fluid from passages in the box, they'll operate the same as stock.

All the reading I've done says that hydro-assist will still self center, just slower. I have a tapped ifs box on my new build so this will be the route I go.

Matt I assume?

It shouldn't matter since you're just robbing fluid from passages in the box, they'll operate the same as stock.
Yep! Who do I know that wheels an f-250?

I know folks that have done it with each type of box, but since I have both sitting on the shelf, I figured I would start with the "preferred" box. I am leaning towards the newer one with the centering valve. I guess I could tap one of each and have a spare.

I am using an IFS box with a 1.5” ram. I am still fighting the slow speed of my steering. I upgraded the pump and that helped but it is still not the best.

Yep! Who do I know that wheels an f-250?

I know folks that have done it with each type of box, but since I have both sitting on the shelf, I figured I would start with the "preferred" box. I am leaning towards the newer one with the centering valve. I guess I could tap one of each and have a spare.
I traded it off over 10 years ago to the dude that had his 1st gen 4runner stolen years ago (Tim?) that was a huge local deal for a while. Just kept the 20ish year old pirate screen name here, I have a handful of Toyotas now.

As for the box I've never really heard of one being better than the other. I guess I could try to find a part number on the box on my 85, it works flawlessly and I can run at any speed without any issues.

fwiw the newer ifs boxes that are about an inch longer have a slightly faster turning ratio iirc

Personally, I hate ifs boxes with hydro assist. They can just only move so much fluid.

If it was me, I'd sell the 5 boxes at ~$150 ea and buy a Saginaw or full aftermarket box.

Top Back Refresh