What's new

Where to sell antique ammo?

Johann

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Triangle area NC
A retired friend of mine just consigned an old Marlin that shoots 32 rimfire or 32 Long Colt. The store that got it too wasn't interested in the ammo as some of the lead bullets are oxidized since they were purchased in the 50s or early 60s. I'm sure they think they are a liability for reselling to a customer.

Wondering about collectible and obsolete ammo forums for him to post them for sale on. Got any suggestions?

I've got some old .30 something or other from the early '50's (full with the Remington Bear on the box, IIRC). I tried to find someone/anybody that would just take it (they pay shipping). What I have discovered is that the box that contains the bullets is FAR more important than the bullets themselves. The box needs to be almost pristine AND all the bullets in it. If the box is tattered, torn, missing a leaf, not the correct number of bullets, whatever, then NO ONE will even take it/them unless you pay shipping (cheaper just to toss them). If the box is pristine AND all the ammo is there then you will receive a premium price. I tried for a considerable period of time to unload my .30 cal as I don't have anything that will chamber them. I dealt with a LOT of antique ammo sellers/forums (there is a substantial market for antique ammo NIB it seems) and since the box was missing a leaf end NO ONE even wanted to pay shipping. It might be different if one was dealing in turn of the century ammo branded Holland & Holland, or somesuch, but commonly used ammo that is vintage rarely has any collector value...

I haven't seen the ammo and boxes yet to judge their condition. Guess that will be next.

When I was hunting for 351 WSL I was pleased as punch to find somebody with what they considered collectible ammo but the Box have been damaged so they sold it at shootable price.

If nothing else I'll drag it to the next Baltimore antique Arms Fair hopefully coming up in March and sell it the same way for him.

Find out what he wants for the 32 long colt. I actually reload .32 s&w

A retired friend of mine just consigned an old Marlin that shoots 32 rimfire or 32 Long Colt. The store that got it too wasn't interested in the ammo as some of the lead bullets are oxidized since they were purchased in the 50s or early 60s. I'm sure they think they are a liability for reselling to a customer.

Wondering about collectible and obsolete ammo forums for him to post them for sale on. Got any suggestions?
I'm a retard

I had some 30+ YO .308 for my Dads deer rifle, that were stuck in the Styrofoam inner liner, had to clean that shit off. Guess that's why they don't use that anymore.

Not sure. I'll check and let you know.

He has a rifle that can shoot it and the long colt as well. Not sure what make. That is currently on consignment at a local GS but doesn't have to stay there.

Bumping old thread for my ammo.

While cleaning I remembered I had these, and the 2 bottles of Hoppes. The boxes are all full except one of the 32 win sp. Value to these or just neat?
KIMG0126_copy_3186x4248.jpg

KIMG0127_copy_4248x3186.jpg

I have an old 32 caliber rim fire Favorite single shot rifle. But no ammo.

If you have some, PM me...

I don't have a use for the ammo but I'd love to have a bottle or both of the hoppes #9. The faintest smell of it takes me back damned near 40 years to helping my grandpa reloading shells and cleaning guns. :smokin:

Bumping old thread for my ammo.

While cleaning I remembered I had these, and the 2 bottles of Hoppes. The boxes are all full except one of the 32 win sp. Value to these or just neat

Essentially, worthless except to someone who has a gun chambered for them. Any vintage seller/buyer will grouse that the boxes aren't pristine enough, or old enough, or collectible enough, or whatever else he can conjure up. He will, however, gladly take them if you pay to ship them to him. At that point it will be cheaper just to toss them. Find someone who wants them and hand them to him/her because it ain't worth the shipping ammo headache. Even then, you will probably encounter difficulties just trying to give them away. I did.

Essentially, worthless except to someone who has a gun chambered for them. Any vintage seller/buyer will grouse that the boxes aren't pristine enough, or old enough, or collectible enough, or whatever else he can conjure up. He will, however, gladly take them if you pay to ship them to him. At that point it will be cheaper just to toss them. Find someone who wants them and hand them to him/her because it ain't worth the shipping ammo headache. Even then, you will probably encounter difficulties just trying to give them away. I did.
I was planning on keeping them anyways. Story is the 32 win special my uncle bought when he graduated in '65 for his dad's Winchester, which I now have

I was planning on keeping them anyways. Story is the 32 win special my uncle bought when he graduated in '65 for his dad's Winchester, which I now have
Bummer. I'd happily pay for a bottle of the hoppes, the Winchester ammo and the 243. It would just be nice to have a glass hoppes bottle. They are all plastic now. I remember cleaning dad's shotgun with his and the glass bottle.

Bummer. I'd happily pay for a bottle of the hoppes, the Winchester ammo and the 243. It would just be nice to have a glass hoppes bottle. They are all plastic now. I remember cleaning dad's shotgun with his and the glass bottle.

Too bad it's not Sperm whale oil. That stuff is awesome. Need to go scour for some more

The bullets are worth nothing persay. I have a box of 45 acp from 1940's all have been duds. Boxes are the collector item
I've run probably 20lbs of 1940-42 .45 ACP through my 1911. Had a few weak ones and a few hot ones, otherwise shot fine.

I’ll take the .38 s&w. I’m into old revolvers still

I tried firing some over 100 year old black powder .38 s&w…non worked but I broke them down and reloaded them

I’ll take the .38 s&w. I’m into old revolvers still

I tried firing some over 100 year old black powder .38 s&w…non worked but I broke them down and reloaded them
Hanging onto the ammo for the near future.

That black powder .38 was my great grandfather's. He was the part time police chief the next town over in the 40s, and I have his carry piece. Break top H&R in .38 S&W :smokin:

The .32 win special is for HIS father's Winchester 1894 that was bought new up Downeast Maine in 1910, that I also have.

Somewhere there's a .270 that my grandfather owned, I believe my uncle still has that one stashed away

Too bad it's not Sperm whale oil. That stuff is awesome. Need to go scour for some more
My mom's dad was born in Scotland, and like any good Scot he was an avid fly fisherman and tied his own flies, (I think partly to get away from Grandma. Anyway he died when I was real young, but Grandma lived into her 90's and when it came time to move her out of the old two story house she'd been in for 50 years, I ended up with one of the two roll top desks he used for his fly tying. I didn't fish at the time, so took all the stuff out of the desk to a local shop and sold it to the shop keeper as a lot, and apparently some of the feathers he had were from birds that were extinct and some federally protected. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh