What's new

Where to go after Moab?

lt1yj

Member Number
Planning a Moab trip with a friend the week of May 24th. My friend is heading home May 29 and I'm planning to stay another week or so. My wife wants to see the Grand Canyon and I want to stop by the Anasazi cliff dwellings in Southern Colorado on our way back to Michigan.

Looking for suggestions on a couple of days wheeling in early June between Moab and Northern Arizona or maybe North Western New Mexico or Southern Colorado. I'd like to meet some new people and see some new terrain.

I've never been to Sand Hollow, Farmington, Telluride or really anywhere west other than Moab back in '97 & '98.

Jeep is a stretched LJ, linked, on tons, locked, 40" treps, stock 4.0.

photo52398.jpg

If you want to go to the Grand Canyon, I'd go to the North Rim. The South Rim is a crowded shit hole. Check out the Toroweap overlook, I've camped out there on the rim and been the only camper there. If you are towing your rig you may think twice about it though. It's a 50-60 mile washboard dirt road to get there.

warning-sign.jpg

Last edited:
Chaco canyon in new Mexico has Anasazi buildings, and it's not all scheduled guided tour stuff like Mesa Verde. Hovenweep is long hikes to small stuff.

Million Dollar Highway. June will still have snow on the trails but the scenery is worth it for a day or two.

I've never been to Sand Hollow, Farmington, Telluride or really anywhere west other than Moab back in '97 & '98.

If you want to wheel sand hollow shoot me a PM and ill get the days off to show you the trails. Ouray and montrose have some good wheeling in the area you're wanting as well.

If you want to go to the Grand Canyon, I'd go to the North Rim. The South Rim is a crowded shit hole. Check out the Toroweap overlook, I've camped out there on the rim and been the only camper there. If you are towing your rig you may think twice about it though. It's a 50-60 mile washboard dirt road to get there.

My wife was doing some research and a few places claim the road through the Navajo reservation is closed due to Covid. Do you know if it's open to get to the North rim?

If you want to wheel sand hollow shoot me a PM and ill get the days off to show you the trails. Ouray and montrose have some good wheeling in the area you're wanting as well.

PM sent!

8BEA0419-0353-4BA6-A1A0-49EF466F49CB.jpeg
My wife was doing some research and a few places claim the road through the Navajo reservation is closed due to Covid. Do you know if it's open to get to the North rim?

No Indian reservations around Toroweap overlook. You can get there from Colorado City, or St George.

Last edited:
No Indian reservations around Toroweap overlook. You can get there from Colorado City, or St George.

If you go and stop in Colorado City AZ be prepared for an interesting experience. We stopped there to restock during our trip and really felt every eye on us.... That was when Warren Jeffs was still in charge so it's been a few years.

If you go and stop in Colorado City AZ be prepared for an interesting experience. We stopped there to restock during our trip and really felt every eye on us.... That was when Warren Jeffs was still in charge so it's been a few years.

I drove through Colorado City last year, it’s still kind of creepy.

Our trip is coming along!

We're leaving Michigan May 21 and arrive in Moab May 23 stopping in Nebraska and Colorado.

Leaving Moab Saturday May 29 and arrive in Hurricane that evening.

Leaving Hurricane Wednesday June 2 and arriving at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon that evening. We plan to stop in Colorado City just for fun:stirthepot:.

Leaving the North Rim June 3 and heading to just north of Mesa Verde.

Friday June 4, we'll be running the Million Dollar Highway towing a trailer:flipoff2:Not sure where we'll end up Friday Night but somewhere closer to Michigan.

Thanks for all the advice!

Get out of your ride when you get to Hopi country. There's tons of cool shit to check out without a dashboard in front of you. Stop at the "Ole Taco" in Ruidoso, NM and say hi to my family. Best homestyle mexican food you'll ever eat...plus kick-ass milkshakes. On your way there, grab A SHIT TON of fireworks in Demming, and remember that most people in Arizona will look at you sideways if you either 1) don't at least agree with CCW, 2) silhouette your CCW, or 3) dont open carry (I am not from AZ, but these criteria work for me ...so don't give me shit about being a CA resident). There was a private OHV park near Taos that was fun to fuck around in for a half day last time I was there, but its been at least 20 years.

Get out of your ride when you get to Hopi country. There's tons of cool shit to check out without a dashboard in front of you. Stop at the "Ole Taco" in Ruidoso, NM and say hi to my family. Best homestyle mexican food you'll ever eat...plus kick-ass milkshakes. On your way there, grab A SHIT TON of fireworks in Demming, and remember that most people in Arizona will look at you sideways if you either 1) don't at least agree with CCW, 2) silhouette your CCW, or 3) dont open carry (I am not from AZ, but these criteria work for me ...so don't give me shit about being a CA resident). There was a private OHV park near Taos that was fun to fuck around in for a half day last time I was there, but its been at least 20 years.

I don't think he is going to be passing anywhere near Ruidoso or Deming :laughing: Also, there is much better wheeling in this state than some private OHV park in Taos (I've never even heard of it).

OP, it sounds like you are hitting Sand Hollow, the north rim, and the San Juans already, but if you do pass through Northwestern New Mexico, Farmington is the place to wheel and there are some cool indian ruins to check out (Aztec ruins, Chaco Canyon, etc.).

You might consider stopping in Montrose CO for some good challenging trails on your way to the Million Dollar Highway. There is also some stuff around Grand Junction, but I've never wheeled in that area.

Last edited:
Where ever you go look at what you will be allowed to do once there. We went to Durango last year, the family chose to go see Mesa Verde while I took a lap on Alpine Loop. They were disappointed because the Covid restrictions kept them in the car and only a portion of the park was viewable. They wasted 2-3 hours and wish they hadn't.

Our trip is coming along!

We're leaving Michigan May 21 and arrive in Moab May 23 stopping in Nebraska and Colorado.

Leaving Moab Saturday May 29 and arrive in Hurricane that evening.

Leaving Hurricane Wednesday June 2 and arriving at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon that evening. We plan to stop in Colorado City just for fun:stirthepot:.

Leaving the North Rim June 3 and heading to just north of Mesa Verde.

Friday June 4, we'll be running the Million Dollar Highway towing a trailer:flipoff2:Not sure where we'll end up Friday Night but somewhere closer to Michigan.

Thanks for all the advice!

You can camp in Silverton or stay at the Wyman hotel. There is also camping at Molas lake but who knows how bad the snow will be. I imagine down in Durango you will have more choices. I stayed at the Strater hotel a few years ago and it was cool. They have parking for trailers too.

OP, it sounds like you are hitting Sand Hollow, the north rim, and the San Juans already, but if you do pass through Northwestern New Mexico, Farmington is the place to wheel and there are some cool indian ruins to check out (Aztec ruins, Chaco Canyon, etc.).

You might consider stopping in Montrose CO for some good challenging trails on your way to the Million Dollar Highway. There is also some stuff around Grand Junction, but I've never wheeled in that area.

I reached the max allowable Jeep butt time with my wife, probably me too. We decided after Sand Hollow we're just tourists with a trailer.

If this is successful we will be out next spring and will hit some other wheeling areas unless Sand Hollow calls me back. I think this trip to Moab will be the last for a few years. So many fun places I've never been to.

Thanks everyone for all the input!

You can camp in Silverton or stay at the Wyman hotel. There is also camping at Molas lake but who knows how bad the snow will be. I imagine down in Durango you will have more choices. I stayed at the Strater hotel a few years ago and it was cool. They have parking for trailers too.

Hoping to end up somewhere in Nebraska for the night and then push on home on Saturday. Probably just find a cheap motel and crash.

Moab was awesome. The town itself is packed but there was nobody on the trails.

Last time I was here Rock Chucker kicked my butt. This time I made it! Ran Rusty Nail, Cliff Hanger, Hell’s Revenge, and Where Eagles Dare for the first time. Cliff Hanger was awesome and I really want to run Rusty Nail backwards.

Looking forward to Sand Hollow.

Sand Hollow was incredible! I ran parts of triple 7’s, Double Sammy, Joint Effort, Chain Reaction, Wayne’s World and wrapped up the first day with a climb up to the last obstacle on Nasty Half. I kept seeing another fun looking climb and kept getting off whatever trail I was on and crossing over to one nearby. I never saw another truck or Jeep in the rocks the whole first day.

Day two I followed some swamper and trep tracks into the beginning of Triple 7’s and finally caught up to them at the entrance to Joint Effort. Four Jeeps from St. Louis on Sticky 42’s and me on bias 40’s. I had a great time with them. At the top of Joint Effort we took a bypass and hooked up with Pyliet for a guided tour of The Fallen. Awesome trail and a great guide! It was great meeting him and he walked us through the obstacles like a pro. Just remember to steer to the tree at the end!!!

Seven days on the trails and only a few scrapes, blown front bump stops, and a leaky front axle seal. Best wheeling trip in years.

Planning a Moab trip with a friend the week of May 24th. My friend is heading home May 29 and I'm planning to stay another week or so. My wife wants to see the Grand Canyon and I want to stop by the Anasazi cliff dwellings in Southern Colorado on our way back to Michigan.

Looking for suggestions on a couple of days wheeling in early June between Moab and Northern Arizona or maybe North Western New Mexico or Southern Colorado. I'd like to meet some new people and see some new terrain.

photo52398.jpg
Jeep looks remarkably like mine.

I didn’t take many pics, too busy driving.

I almost didn’t stop for the pic on Rock Chucker. I just wanted to get to the top.

Attachments

• AEE39616-2DEA-4531-B409-ACE665E115A1.jpeg
    AEE39616-2DEA-4531-B409-ACE665E115A1.jpeg
    930.7 KB · Views: 35
  • A2D735CC-ED07-4EBF-836C-141C67A7DE58.jpeg
    A2D735CC-ED07-4EBF-836C-141C67A7DE58.jpeg
    426.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 98759248-57EA-48AE-95CD-42192668F5B8.jpeg
    98759248-57EA-48AE-95CD-42192668F5B8.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 37
Top Back Refresh