What's new

Where to get PVC Wiffle Balls?

TTMotorsports

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Lucerne Valley, CA
Hey so I have a 55 gallon fuel cell and am wanting to run some wiffle balls in it since It has no foam or anything. I've read that PVC wiffle balls are fuel compatible and will last quite a while.

Now my question is where do you guys buy those as my local stores they don't say what they are made of and I will test it out first in fuel but don't want to leave them in for a month testing just to find they are garbage. Thanks.

Yeah, they're not all created equal. Someone long ago had identified a manufacturer - I want to say they were yellow? - that held up but it was long enough ago that I wouldn't trust it anymore.

Wayne @ Alltech had done a run of baffles that were basically thin-walled cylinders made from the same material that the fuel cells themselves are made from, not sure if those are still around (mobil1syn might know?).

Personally I run the yellow foam cubes, ATL SF103. It's been in my cell since late 2015 and hasn't degraded at all, I've had it out & back in many times. I only run premium pump gas though, not sure how it would work with other stuff.

Wayne @ Alltech had done a run of baffles that were basically thin-walled cylinders made from the same material that the fuel cells themselves are made from, not sure if those are still around (@mobil1syn might know?).

i had a website to sell them for a while, but had some issues with spam filters, missed a few orders, had a handful of pissed off people, and was causing thewayne's phone to blow up asking for their stuff he didnt sell them. too much strain on the friendship, so i killed it.

might want to reach out to them to see if they are still selling them or have any stock. thewayne had mentioned phasing them out to focus on shock work, but not sure if that happened or not.

Alltech Motorsports
28780 Old Town Front Street
Suite #C4
Temecula, CA 92590
(951) 587-8711

oil containers with a bunch of holes seemed to be the go to for the old school sand rail guys. wiffles balls were hit and miss since their are made with whatever material meets the margin, ended up having to test every batch.

oil containers with a bunch of holes seemed to be the go to for the old school sand rail guys. wiffles balls were hit and miss since their are made with whatever material meets the margin, ended up having to test every batch.
That was going to be my suggestion. I have cut the top/bottom and drilled holes in used oil bottles to create baffles. They are designed to hold oil, so they dont break down.

Should be gasoline or E85 compatible, decently cheap, have to cut out the bottoms and throw away the lids, but available in small sizes to pack in for decently cheap:

Edit: Could reasonably do the same with HDPE, UHMW, or PTFE pipe, just cut to lengths to fit what you want, but I'm having problems finding that material in bulk for cheaper than buying jars.

Last edited:
I'm finding the same thing, I can't find pipe easily or for reasonable prices in a large enough size. Looks to be easier to buy containers and cut them up.

B62D594D-DEB2-48D7-A071-F9D4635D589B.png

Should be gasoline or E85 compatible, decently cheap, have to cut out the bottoms and throw away the lids, but available in small sizes to pack in for decently cheap:

Edit: Could reasonably do the same with HDPE, UHMW, or PTFE pipe, just cut to lengths to fit what you want, but I'm having problems finding that material in bulk for cheaper than buying jars.
If you're gonna do that just get some cutting boards and slide and dice so they fit together in a nice little grid.

So UHMW is gas and E85 resistant?

OEM gas tanks and cutting boards are both made out of HDPE. Chemical resistance between HDPE and UHMWPE is about the same to the point where I had a hell of a time finding a chemical chart that showed them both in different columns.

My little parts cleaning cutting board is doing just fine...

Cut up a junkyard gas tank for baffles if you're worried about it. It's probably cheaper than cutting boards too.

Attachments

• chemical_resistance_chart.pdf
    35.4 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
OEM gas tanks and cutting boards are both made out of HDPE. Chemical resistance between HDPE and UHMWPE is about the same to the point where I had a hell of a time finding a chemical chart that showed them both in different columns.

My little parts cleaning cutting board is doing just fine...

Cut up a junkyard gas tank for baffles if you're worried about it. It's probably cheaper than cutting boards too.
Home Depot (and most other 5 gallon) buckets are also HDPE and while they will caution all day about that they're not intended to store flammable liquids, they are chemically compatible.

Problem I see with gas tanks, buckets, cutting boards, etc., cut into baffle-ish shapes is, getting them in through a fill hole will be difficult. Arranging them inside to interlock how you planned, with only one hand fitting into that fill hole at a time, may be painful. Getting them out may be impossible without cutting open the tank if you want to change things. I guess all that would be good lobbying for using one of the giant oval fuel pump and sender and whatever top plates if you're on the fence about how to do the filler attachment.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh