What's new

When's the last time we had a good boot thread?

Fivepointfive

Guy in the back
Member Number
Loc
Beside the point
Need new boots. Technically I could use about three pair. My logger boots and hiking boots are both getting old, and I hate the winter boots I got last year. I'm thinking waterproof and mid-weight insulation. Under tree fiddy for sure. Hopefully under two hundo.

I stand at a desk most of the day, but walk around the parking lot at the shop here fairly often in the snow/slush/crap. These will be my snowshoeing boots, and hopefully 3 season hiking boots, so nothing too heavy.

I'll take any advice here- styles, brands, materials. Not sure if I'm going to buy on-line or take my once a year drive to the farm store that has a huge room of boots and all sorts of other good shit. No real local stores to speak of. So what's good?

I only wear loggers. Motorcycle, office, in the shop. Logger boots. Always wore Chippewas until my last pair wore out. Brought them to the cobbler in Laconia and he just laughed at me. Far too gone.

Apparently Chipps were sold off to some other company and weren't "good" any more. Got myself a set of RedWings off the place on 104. Don't care for them at all. Took abut six months to finally break in. A portion of the tongue hammered away at my foot. The laces don't "snap" into the eyeloop things. They also remain damp for a lot longer than my Chipps did.

Once these are gone, I'm going back to Chipps again.

ive switched to Thorogoods for work boots. Love em, hold up great.

hiking boots im not sure. I still wear my older gortex Merrells.

Loggers all of the time but I mostly work outside on dirt and gravel. I have Carolina domestic and white's the white's hurt the top of my feet but have only been worn for a couple months so far and don't feel broken in yet.

I've had good luck with Keen. I'm due for boots soon also. Winter i use slip on insulated rubber boots. Loggers are the most uncomfortable things I've ever put on my feet. They destroy my already bad knees.

I mean this site is pretty new, so it couldnt have been that long ago....:flipoff2:

I only wear loggers. Motorcycle, office, in the shop. Logger boots. Always wore Chippewas until my last pair wore out. Brought them to the cobbler in Laconia and he just laughed at me. Far too gone.

Apparently Chipps were sold off to some other company and weren't "good" any more. Got myself a set of RedWings off the place on 104. Don't care for them at all. Took abut six months to finally break in. A portion of the tongue hammered away at my foot. The laces don't "snap" into the eyeloop things. They also remain damp for a lot longer than my Chipps did.

Once these are gone, I'm going back to Chipps again.

I loved my Chippewas but they weren't black lab proof. I've had my Red Wings re-soled twice now, and had to do a good epoxy job on them during the plague. But they fit sooo good so if I dedicate them to just yard work I can get a while longer out of them.

Thorogood. Plus they're American made which is hard to find now-a-days. A new pair just got delivered for me yesterday. My last pair lasted 2 years of everyday wear.

I've had good luck with Keen. I'm due for boots soon also. Winter i use slip on insulated rubber boots. Loggers are the most uncomfortable things I've ever put on my feet. They destroy my already bad knees.

Got some Keen low cuts not long ago. So far so good.

I went through two or three pairs of red wing golden setters and really liked them. Now I have a pair of danners and they’re even better. Good boots cost a little money.

Keens are good hikers but they aren’t boots. Boot duty tears keens up in short order.

Thread Fail. You forgot the "Y" at the end of "Boot".

Chip super loggers are on my feet 16 hours a day 7 days a week with a good insoles. Usually have a busted pair for mud work, everyday work pair and a new break in pair. They were sold out and I haven’t worn the new pair yet. At work I’m on concrete most of the time but have to have steel toes and EH rated boots.

Timberland Pro Resistor work boots are good, Wore the first pair from 2013-2020. A month ago they went on sale for $149 so I replaced them.

My hiking boots are Lowa Renegades, had them nearly a decade. They are excellent.

I was in the market for leather un-insulated work boots. Found my first pair of cowboy style that fit. Ariat, $170. Never had a steel toe but theses do. I sprayed with water proofer and can report back in 6 months.

Timberland Pro Resistor work boots are good, Wore the first pair from 2013-2020. A month ago they went on sale for $149 so I replaced them.

My hiking boots are Lowa Renegades, had them nearly a decade. They are excellent.

Who still wears Hiking boots?

I thought everyone ditched those for a trail runner. The weight of the boot isn't worth the extra protection.

I have alot of LOWA boot, pretty much the only boot I buy anymore. Current duty set needs to be replaced as I wore the heel off and the inner liner split, got 6 years out of them. Highley recommended.

I thought everyone ditched those for a trail runner. The weight of the boot isn't worth the extra protection.

Nearly everyday. F trail runners, I've tired half a dozen different ones and keep going back to boots. I hate not having any ankle coverage and getting crap inside of the shoe, traction has never been any better then any of my boots, welding sparks burn right through the sides, same with sticks or other poky metal bits.

Just my opinion,,,,boots are a very subjective matter and what works for me may not fit you well at all. Go to a good shop and try on the boots you are interested in and see how the fit you. We all have differently shaped and sized feet

That said, I like Danner's made in the USA boots

+3 for thorough goods

used to rock redwing, till they switched manufacturing to chy-na

thorough good is comparable price and made in the MF USA, good quality and last as long if not longer than my redwings

Tried Lowa hiking boots for the first time about 5 years ago. Finally a hiking boot that is comfortable and has traction.

Just my opinion,,,,boots are a very subjective matter and what works for me may not fit you well at all. Go to a good shop and try on the boots you are interested in and see how the fit you. We all have differently shaped and sized feet

That said, I like Danner's made in the USA boots

All I used to wear was Danner Super Rainforest but the quality went downhill 10 years ago or so. Been wearing Thorogood since.

I have Salomon trail runners too. Plenty of times I'd rather be wearing boots really. The Renegades aren't noticeably heavy or clunky anyway.

Asolo for hiking/work

Recently got some Florsheim for dress boots, I like them so far.

Top Back Refresh