What's new

Wheel width for WIDE tires

TrailTamer

🤣🖕🏻
Member Number
Loc
Down By The River
Hi y'all

I am trying to make my tire wheel combo to work, and I am thinking I must go with wider wheels...

Spec: XJ on D30/C8.25 scaled right at 4,000lbs on 35" tires it had.
Wheels - cheap 15x8 steel wheels
Tires - 36x13.5R15 IROK BIAS

I searched online on wheel width and found old posts on PBB saying they ran 15x8 on this same tires with good success, but look like trail rig/trailer queens though.

Tires' sidewall say to use 15x10 wheels. Do I MUST? Tires are at 8 psi and shoulders still don't really touch the road as should. My XJ is a friday driver/weekend warrior so it do see road use and don't want to ruin them because of too narrow wheels.

DIY beadlocks will widen wheels enough?

halp!

They're going to wear fast on the street, as Iroks and swampers in general always do, spending money on new wheels isn't going to magically fix that. If you're going to run weld on beadlocks you might as well stick with the 15x8, you'll be closer to the "right" width with that than a x10 with weld on locks.

I ran that exact tire on an 8 inch wide rim on a Toyota. The bonus side of the narrower rims is I ran 9 psi up front and 7 in the back with no bead issues.

I ran that exact tire on an 8 inch wide rim on a Toyota. The bonus side of the narrower rims is I ran 9 psi up front and 7 in the back with no bead issues.

8/7 psi for off road or on street? I’m at 8/8psi for on street, including going 70 mph on highway.

8/7 psi for off road or on street? I’m at 8/8psi for on street, including going 70 mph on highway.

I only had to go about a quarter mile on back roads at slow speeds to get to the trail.

By my calculations, you should only need ~10-11 PSI for a street pressure with those tires even if you were running the correct wheels. Personally, I would just run them at 10 PSI on the street and deal with the centers wearing faster since you are running wheels that are too narrow. I like my wheels on the narrow side with big sidewalls since you can run much lower pressures without bead locks. I have a set of 38" tall, 13" wide tires mounted on 16x7" wheels that I run at 4 PSI off road and haven't had any issues (they are load range G XMLs though). I have a set of 37" tall, 12.50" tires mounted on 15x8" wheels on a 3,900Lb rig that I run at 8-9 PSI off road and haven't had any bead issues either.

Weld on bead lock kits will add an inch or so to the wheel width depending on the design. They would help with the street wear, but I think you'll find bead locks unnecessary with your setup.

Top Back Refresh