What's new

what's this fitting on an air compressor tank?

dnsfailure

WHAT GEAR ARE YOU IN?
Member Number
Loc
Gilroy
I'm replacing the pump in my 60gal compressor, and the fitting that the air line goes from the pump to the tank has this odd baffle or something on the end of it, that sticks down into the tank itself. It adapts a 3/8" od aluminum hard line (compression fit) to a 1/2" NPT fitting on the tank.

What is the baffle on the bottom of this? Is it needed? The only thing I can figure is that it creates back-pressure for some reason... but why?

Any reason not to ditch this for just a regular 1/2" pipe fitting adapter with no baffle? Since it's starting to corrode a bit, I was going to just replace it with brass.

fitting_001.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fitting_001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.7 KB ID:	45117

fitting_002.jpg - Click image for larger version  Name:	fitting_002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	173.7 KB ID:	45118

Last edited:
Check valve. The air from the compressor pushes through a spring loaded disk or ball into the tank and then when the compressor shuts off there should be an unloader valve that releases the pressure in your output from the compressor. That check valve keeps the air in the tank from coming back into the line.

Check valve. The air from the compressor pushes through a spring loaded disk or ball into the tank and then when the compressor shuts off there should be an unloader valve that releases the pressure in your output from the compressor. That check valve keeps the air in the tank from coming back into the line.

ahh, I guess I need to keep this in there then, eh? :laughing:

Might be a good idea. Make sure it is still functioning properly. I've seen the spring inside them rust away to nothing.

after you mentioned it was a check valve, I put a screw driver down the top of it, and the spring moves pretty easily. blowing through it cracks the valve open a bit as well.

It's 8 years old, and a bit corroded, I can't seem to find this type of valve with the same compression fitting on McMaster (will try searching again later), I'd like to replace it if I can.

If you can determine the model number of your compressor unit than you should be able to find the parts at ereplacement or any of the other half dozen online parts houses. In all probability your 60 gal was made by Campbell Hausefield

That check valve is there for when your dumb ass takes apart the copper line between the tank and the compressor. It keeps the copper line from blowing apart in your hands when you forgot to drain the tank before disassembly.

Might have saved me the embarrassment once, but I'd never tell.

That check valve is there for when your dumb ass takes apart the copper line between the tank and the compressor. It keeps the copper line from blowing apart in your hands when you forgot to drain the tank before disassembly.

Might have saved me the embarrassment once, but I'd never tell.

I may or may not have cracked open an open ended 3/4" ball valve on a fully pressurized tank once.

It may or may not have been loud as hell.

And it may or may not have iced over the valve.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I may or may not have cracked open an open ended 3/4" ball valve on a fully pressurized tank once.

It may or may not have been loud as hell.

And it may or may not have iced over the valve.

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Meh... I run a 165 CFM compressor wide open for hours at a time. I do wear ear plugs cause that shit will blow out your ear drums when you're blowing off equipment if you hit a shallow hole. Like blowing in a coke bottle only 100x louder.

In the early 90's I drove a 72 El Camino that only had seats, door panels and a headliner for an interior. One summer I had accumulated a good 1/4" of beach sand so I decided to blow it out with the shop compressor. I opened both doors and fired up the 185, about 30 seconds into the job I lifted the hose a little too high and sent the headliner out the drivers door. :laughing:

Meh... I run a 165 CFM compressor wide open for hours at a time. I do wear ear plugs cause that shit will blow out your ear drums when you're blowing off equipment if you hit a shallow hole. Like blowing in a coke bottle only 100x louder.

My tank sits at 175 I believe, and the valve was right there on the tank :eek: It iced over :lmao:

It was so loud and startled me such that my knee-jerk reaction was to let go of the valve and cover my ears and run. So I just let it empty the tank completely (didn't take long... haha!). Even after I was almost 30 yards away, it was still fucking loud.

Since then, I never quickly yank valves open or close, I slowly move them.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh