Threads 1633
Handles 79003
Base speed 1.9GHz
sockets 1
cores 2
logical processors 2
L1 cache 256kb
L2 cache 2.0MB

this is what i'm getting from the AMD A4-3300M on my laptop, 3 windows open on Edge and downloading a video game. last fall, changed out the HDD for an SSD and went from 4gb ram to 8gb ram, that made little to no difference so i'm back to 4gb ram. i was curious if that was causing a slowdown, pulled the other 4gb and saw no change, left it out. :homer:

anyways, of those numbers, what ones mean more than others :confused: any of them?

Firstly it's a shitty processor.
Secondly go to the details view in task manager, sort by cpu usage, and see what the fuck is eating 100% of your cpu.

Processes currently:
Epic Games Launcher 36% (downloading Civ VI)
Microsoft Edge 6%
WMI Provider Host (?) 15%
Task Manager 5%

and about 5-10 things that are all under 1%

when i posted this reply, Edge went up to 30% cpu usage :rasta:

CPU is from ~2011 or early 2012, so i figure it is probably a bit out of date, just curious what would look different for a comparison to a new one. there is almost too much information out there on the internet regarding those things

when i posted this reply, Edge went up to 30% cpu usage :rasta:

a couple ajax things fire off when you post, which visually is similar to opening several browser tabs at once so they can all send data somewhere. It hits your CPU but your front end experience is faster because your main tab isn't trying to do so much. 30% seems high tho....

a couple ajax things fire off when you post, which visually is similar to opening several browser tabs at once so they can all send data somewhere. It hits your CPU but your front end experience is faster because your main tab isn't trying to do so much. 30% seems high tho....

apparently it depends on what else my CPU is doing. when i had nothing else going on and just did a reply in a different thread, Edge shot up to 50% CPU usage :laughing: Some things really suck it down and it is like i'm trying to ping off the moon to get the letters from my keyboard to the screen.

facebook has been probably the worst for the last couple years. I can type out a full sentence, go back and change a word, then try to type out the rest all before the first letter appears on the screen :homer: end up with lots of typos that way.

this site has actually seemed to have improved today compared to yesterday and the day before. maybe being midnight helps 😶

apparently it depends on what else my CPU is doing. when i had nothing else going on and just did a reply in a different thread, Edge shot up to 50% CPU usage :laughing: Some things really suck it down and it is like i'm trying to ping off the moon to get the letters from my keyboard to the screen.

facebook has been probably the worst for the last couple years. I can type out a full sentence, go back and change a word, then try to type out the rest all before the first letter appears on the screen :homer: end up with lots of typos that way.

yea facebook is mostly ajax based ....

I'd just stick that think back in the crypt you found it in and get a new one :flipoff2:

Damn those are slow :flipoff2: Is the new one the correct socket? Looking at this it would seem different...... Also added my laptop CPU for comparison.

CPU Comp.png

yea facebook is mostly ajax based ....

I'd just stick that think back in the crypt you found it in and get a new one :flipoff2:

daily use since new, the only time it really seemed painfully slow was playing Civ V, now that i've got Civ VI from the free link, it's time to try out the upgrade.

gah darn, i had to redo my licenses for bendtech and autosketch and featurecam just from putting in a new SSD. don't particularly want to deal with that again for a while yet, so i'm hoping to get at least a few more years out of it before it needs to be replaced.

new laptops are hundreds of dollars :eek: You can get a pretty nice steering wheel and disconnect for that price :smokin:

Damn those are slow :flipoff2: Is the new one the correct socket? Looking at this it would seem different...... Also added my laptop CPU for comparison.

huh, can't zoom in on that picture. i can see the bolt numbers, at first i thought "oh, well ~1.3k vs ~1.5k isn't so bad....oh wait, that is 1.3k vs 11.5k :eek:

they "should" both be 35w AM1 or FM1 or whatever signal version 1 is.

i just wasn't sure what all the performance numbers meant, until i found the A8 for under $30 and figured it would probably be worth a shot at that price either way

edit: well, dang, that website says the A8 is FS1 instead of FM1. oh well...

huh, can't zoom in on that picture. i can see the bolt numbers, at first i thought "oh, well ~1.3k vs ~1.5k isn't so bad....oh wait, that is 1.3k vs 11.5k :eek:

Right click > open in new tab. That should bring it up full size. To be fair my laptop is only a few weeks old (released late last year IIRC)

Right click > open in new tab. That should bring it up full size. To be fair my laptop is only a few weeks old (released late last year IIRC)

my laptop at work is pretty well new, but man does it run like smoked dog shit many days. of course, that is likely 100% network and virtual machine stuff, but still :rasta: it seems to give me some bias against newer computers. it certainly doesn't seem to be 10x better than what i'm using currently.

edit: new tab did the thing, thanks :beer:

Been a long while since I glued my PC together but it looks like yours is shit. 1.91 ghz for speed? WTF My PC is at 3.5 and I built it in 2011. Unfortunately Windows 7 is no longer going to be supported. The last GUI I like. I suppose I might have to figure out Linux. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Keep your dick in a vise.

my laptop at work is pretty well new, but man does it run like smoked dog shit many days. of course, that is likely 100% network and virtual machine stuff, but still :rasta: it seems to give me some bias against newer computers. it certainly doesn't seem to be 10x better than what i'm using currently.

edit: new tab did the thing, thanks :beer:

Guess it depends on spec. Base model stuff is still pretty slow, I go from pressing the power button to a fully usable desktop in less than 10sec :eek:. Definitely a huge step up from my old one which could take 1-2 mins for a usable desktop.

Been a long while since I glued my PC together but it looks like yours is shit. 1.91 ghz for speed? WTF My PC is at 3.5 and I built it in 2011. Unfortunately Windows 7 is no longer going to be supported. The last GUI I like. I suppose I might have to figure out Linux. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Keep your dick in a vise.

i've been surprisingly happy about windows 10, albeit slower in the overall regards, it mostly just feel like it is high latency now. runs fast, when it runs :laughing: win 10 was free and, turns out, not scary. you can say no to 99% of the tracking BS stuff

edit: the 1.9 vs 3.5 gHZ i think has more to do wtih this being a ~35W laptop instead of the PC. even using upgraded 7 year old components, my desktop kicks the shit out of my laptop for doing all the things

Last edited:
Guess it depends on spec. Base model stuff is still pretty slow, I go from pressing the power button to a fully usable desktop in less than 10sec :eek:. Definitely a huge step up from my old one which could take 1-2 mins for a usable desktop.

going from 7200 HDD to an SDD made a substantial difference on my end. at work? fucker might take 10 minutes just to figure out i'm trying to log on :laughing:

going from 7200 HDD to an SDD made a substantial difference on my end. at work? fucker might take 10 minutes just to figure out i'm trying to log on :laughing:

That just seems to be work shit. We have reasonably new desktops at work and for on pc stuff like Word, Excel, etc they're fine but as soon as you do anything network related it's like some fucker's poured syrup in it (They're a Canadian company, coincidence..... 🤔)

When I pulled my old computron out of storage I went to the SDD. Even my old Windows 7 disk loaded up. I was kinda surprised. I was kinda thinking it would give me the whole copyright deal. I've been using this disk for a freaking decade and it loaded on my new hard drive no problem.

First off, never use edge again. Also: never use the internet explorer. Get Firefox or Vivaldi.
Then, because you stuff is already a bit slow, don't keep browser tabs open. Use 1 or 2 at the most.

I also suggest using a good cleaner like CCcleaner (or whoever you trust). Your pc (most noticeable browsing) should be 4 gazillion times faster after running it.

If building something, can't go wrong with Team Red (AMD).

3600 CPU
X570 MOBO
1060 GPU
1TB NVME

Call it a day.

it functions well, any reason other than microsoft that i shouldn't be using it?

the ONLY complaint i have about it, if you click the title bar and go to scroll with the arrow keys, you can't just click in the window, you have to click in the title bar again to unselect it or some shit. 99.9% of the time i use the arrow keys and touchpad to navigate.

When I pulled my old computron out of storage I went to the SDD. Even my old Windows 7 disk loaded up. I was kinda surprised. I was kinda thinking it would give me the whole copyright deal. I've been using this disk for a freaking decade and it loaded on my new hard drive no problem.

the free upgrade to win 10 is still available. i did it twice last fall, just used the regular downloader/installer stuff, provided my Win 7 key when it asked for a product key, no issues and went through

Yeah, they don't advertise it, but you can upgrade to 10 for free with a 7 key. The disability accessibility thing still works too.

Yeah, they don't advertise it, but you can upgrade to 10 for free with a 7 key. The disability accessibility thing still works too.

so if the A8 3520m actually will work in an FM1 socket, what does that mean for my OS? do i just try and use the same Win 7 key? will it just load everything off the memory and not notice that i changed CPU except for performance?

Top Back Refresh