What's new

Whats this 4bt worth ?

Maybe it would make a good boat engine, like a Jaws go shark hunting boat engine, what was that about a 25 ft trawler type boat ?

Ive been corrected...

What size was the boat in Jaws?

42-foot-long

The working Orca was a 42-foot-long former lobster boat dubbed the Warlock that Alves had found near Marblehead, Massachusetts. The white boat was repainted in burgundy and black and accessorized with a pulpit and oversized windows, the better for a casual audience to identify it as a formidable shark-hunting vessel.
JawsScreenshot05.jpg

Mental Floss › article

The Bizarre Tale of the Orca II, the Stunt Boat from Jaws | Mental Floss

Last edited:
4BT makes an excellent boat anchor. Probably the last motor I would swap into anything.

Whats a 4BT or 6BT have for valve connection to crankshaft, Chain or gears ?

IMO a 4bt would be a good swap if you had a nice half ton truck you put 20k a year on driving to work and home depot getting up to 25mpg if you specd it right

But paying the premium over a donor 6bt pickup seems dumb for everything else, just build a 6bt 3/4t for less money and get a better truck

IMO a 4bt would be a good swap if you had a nice half ton truck you put 20k a year on driving to work and home depot getting up to 25mpg if you specd it right
At that point you might as well get a 6.2. That's more or less exactly what the 6.2 was designed to do. Fuel would be a wash. Acquisition costs would be tons cheaper. You'd have to rebuild it every 5yr with that mileage but at least it wouldn't rattle your teeth loose while it's running.

Except that many 6.2 blocks and heads or cranks have failed by now... and half of them have a TH400 attached so there's no economy. BTDT.

Now if you can beat those odds - yessir, I agree :grinpimp:

If you're chasing fuel mileage and dead set on a diesel for your 1/2 ton truck I would go with a Mercedes turbo diesel. The W123 can still be had for next to nothing. Around here you see them all the time (complete cars) for 300-1000 running and driving. That's what I'll probably pick up when I start my project after my next project once I'm finished with my current project.

Except that many 6.2 blocks and heads or cranks have failed by now... and half of them have a TH400 attached so there's no economy. BTDT.

Now if you can beat those odds - yessir, I agree :grinpimp:
Can't you still get a GM reman for like $4k or is that the 6.5?

In any case, 6.whatever plus granny 4spd and 3ish rear gears (i.e. basically what they did in the M1009) should make for a nice old man commuter truck.

Selling a 6.2L from an old 86 chevy one ton 4wd truck.

Have it listed on CL as soon as I can get it into the back of my flatbed its most likely sold.

At that point you might as well get a 6.2. That's more or less exactly what the 6.2 was designed to do. Fuel would be a wash. Acquisition costs would be tons cheaper. You'd have to rebuild it every 5yr with that mileage but at least it wouldn't rattle your teeth loose while it's running.
I've considered it, along with NA 6.9/7.3
The 6.2s around here all overheated and got 350 swaps.
When I think I'll do something like that, I always stumble onto a cheap 6bt truck instead:homer:

But paying the premium over a donor 6bt pickup seems dumb for everything else, just build a 6bt 3/4t for less money and get a better truck

Most people who just have a truck for a home depot run and culdesac bragging right are going to buy an F150 with a 5ft bitch bed.

That being said, a toyota pickup with a VW TDI or similar is the hot ticket for a run about.

Yeah, most would, but since we're here talking engine swaps, if you want to daily drive an "old" half ton, a 4bt kinda pencils out. Especially to the guy who already has a decent truck but tiring of old gas engine problems

That market exists, hence the 4500 price tag

But as I said, a 3/4t with a 6bt makes more sense to me

Im thinking my 07 with the failing 6.0L gas engine may benifit from a 6bt or a better V8 Diesel but dont care for the 6.2L GM diesel engine.

Can't you still get a GM reman for like $4k or is that the 6.5?

In any case, 6.whatever plus granny 4spd and 3ish rear gears (i.e. basically what they did in the M1009) should make for a nice old man commuter truck.
Damn it, I guess I drive an old man truck. At least I got rid of the high back fiberglass topper my grandpa had on it.

That formula is close to how I built my 84 C1500 highway cruiser: 6.2, NV4500 (I killed the stock 700R4), 3.42 9.5 14bolt and 33” tall rear tires. Lowered just a little bit and it cruises while sipping fuel.
5CCE5C2B-13CA-42A2-8E03-447A9912A812.jpeg

Yeah, most would, but since we're here talking engine swaps, if you want to daily drive an "old" half ton, a 4bt kinda pencils out. Especially to the guy who already has a decent truck but tiring of old gas engine problems

That market exists, hence the 4500 price tag

But as I said, a 3/4t with a 6bt makes more sense to me

I stumbled on the perfect fleet combo: 6.2 C1500 and 6BT K20 Burb, each with a different task and purpose. I wouldn’t want a 4bt because of vibration and price tag. I’ve thought about gathering parts for if the 6.2 dies, but I’ll just toss in another 6.2 or home rebuild this one.

A 4BT would still need parts from a 6BT donor or pay $$$ for breadvan auto trans tilted adapter. If I end up wanting to pay to play if my 6.2 dies: Cummins 2.8 or 8.1/LS swap it.

To the OP: just toss another LS 6.0 at your 07. They have a great lifespan and are easy to fix, I wrench on a fleet of a dozen GM 6.0 plow trucks that just keep on ticking, most have between 150k and 250k miles and are beaten like a plow truck. Got rid of the Duramaxes and keep adding 6.0s to the fleet.

Top Back Refresh