What's new

What's the story on braces?

posford

:flipoff2:
Member Number
Loc
NH
Something popped up in my feed today about people being nervous about a pistol brace reclassification. Is there anything official on this or just social media speculation?

If you have been paying any attention you’d know the ruling on them comes out August 1st.

You should be. They are getting ready to turn 30 million people into felons.
Calm down, drama queen. There were AR pistols years before the pistol brace was a glean in someone's eye. And there will be the same amount of AR pistols after you take the stock off your AR and put it in the drawer.

Is the reclassification stupid? Yes. Was it stupid for the ATF to approve a stock that wasn't called a "stock"? Yes.

But ATF gonna ATF. Anyone that didn't know this was coming was naive, ignorant, stupid or flat out didn't learn from the last 25 years of ATF dumbassery

Calm down, drama queen. There were AR pistols years before the pistol brace was a glean in someone's eye. And there will be the same amount of AR pistols after you take the stock off your AR and put it in the drawer.

Is the reclassification stupid? Yes. Was it stupid for the ATF to approve a stock that wasn't called a "stock"? Yes.

But ATF gonna ATF. Anyone that didn't know this was coming was naive, ignorant, stupid or flat out didn't learn from the last 25 years of ATF dumbassery
No drama in my post. They have been foaming at the mouth for years now to fuck brace owners directly in the ass.

No drama in my post. They have been foaming at the mouth for years now to fuck brace owners directly in the ass.

Fairly gentle, actually. Those people are out the cost of their brace. The classification of their guns are still pistols and they can get a CAA saddle or a cane tip like we did before all this tomfoolery ever started. People are just mad because they got suckered and bait- switched by the ATF.

"30 million felons" is pretty drama-y.

"30 million felons" is and isn't dramatic. Compliance will be marginal and a lot will realize that without enforcement, the laws become silly anyways.

Either way I suppose I need to buy a rifle upper

Govt make people that aren't doing anything bad per say... into felons everyday.... so Makin 30 million more of them isn't going to hurt their feelings one bit.... I say fuq'em "they do what they want"..... just don't advertise what your doing...

It is basically, this, only with braces.

The braces will stay legal, unlike the bump stock ban, but if they “determinate” that yours actually operates more like a rifle, you’re chancing getting thrown in prison. It’s their way of not having a “ban“ that could be overturned.

They came up with a stupid ass list of things that make almost zero sense to consider if it’s a pistol or rifle. It should be “if the owner of the firearm can aim and shoot it one handed, it’s a pistol”.

A 95 lb chick with a 14.5” bull barrel 6.5 Grendel and a 6-24 Nightforce wouldn’t make the cut.

I can actually put my arm through the elastic strap and shoot my 8.5” .300 blackout one handed. A 350 lb ATF “determinator” may not be able to. Apparently that makes it a SBR. :shaking:

"they gonna get banned any day now"
for the last 8? years
And this is sort of the general feeling I have. Even if something gets "ban'd" it'll be "unban'd" in 6 months

Any big updates with this? I'm about to start building an "other" and was going to pick up a brace for it.

Crickets from the ATF. I think they have realized that they fucked themselves on the brace thing. Way too many out there at this point. If anyone is interested I have an SBA 3 laying around collecting dust.

Benn wondering the same thing about 80 % stuff
There are numerous court cases fighting the frame/receiver restrictions right now and the ATF keeps losing them not that it will stop them from enforcing them or hurting people while they attempt to enforce them.

The ones that are already out in the world, are already out in the world. In WA we're supposed to have any new ones serialized by an FFL, but how do you prove which ones were made before the rule vs after since they don't have serial numbers? I've finished a couple in the past year or two that have been sitting in a drawer for years.

The whole thing is unenforceable just like if I slip and fall and accidentally put a stock on one of my AR pistols.

Gotcha. Been looking around for a solid answer about them. Never have found it though.

Gotcha. Been looking around for a solid answer about them. Never have found it though.
There are no solid answers with the ATF, the story constantly changes. Basically, buy/build/do what you want, if it's not illegal today it might be tomorrow or the next day. As long as they exist and you own a gun, you've got the potential to be a felon.

Look at forced reset triggers. ATF gives fairly clear definition of what a machine gun is, companies develop a device that functions in a way to meet that definition, so they change the definition to make it illegal.

Look at forced reset triggers. ATF gives fairly clear definition of what a machine gun is, companies develop a device that functions in a way to meet that definition, so they change the definition to make it illegal.
did they manage to do that or is it still in some limbo of being illegal "because we said so"

did they manage to do that or is it still in some limbo of being illegal "because we said so"
My understanding is that they redefined it, probably be tied up in court for years though since they jumped right to confiscation. They're starting in on the binary triggers too

Crickets from the ATF. I think they have realized that they fucked themselves on the brace thing. Way too many out there at this point. If anyone is interested I have an SBA 3 laying around collecting dust.

If nobody has already contacted you about the SBA 3 I would be interested. It would be an upgrade from my cheap one lol.

DM me a price if so so inclined.

Thanks

I was looking at this some more in relation to my specific build. I have to have a OAL >26" to be classified as an other. Is section 1 saying that to use a brace you have to meet those 2 requirements or this form isnt applicable if you dont meet those requirements?

1667925661767.png

I was looking at this some more in relation to my specific build. I have to have a OAL >26" to be classified as an other. Is section 1 saying that to use a brace you have to meet those 2 requirements or this form isnt applicable if you dont meet those requirements?

1667925661767.png
That is not finalized so do not fucking worry about it.

Same with bumpstocks? :evil:
This was my thought, Id like one for my build but its low on the priority list. I just don't want to get caught all of sudden not being able to get one without filing a bunch of paperwork and crap with the gov.

The atf has painted themselves into a corner on braces and they aren't happy about it. They really want to classify all braced pistols as sbrs, which they are, if you use the brace as a stock.
They shouldn't have approved the braces as a non stock in the first place if that was were they were going with it.
So now there's somewhere around 30 million braces in circulation and there's no putting the genie back in the bottle. Sbrs are no more deadly than a rifle and still not that easy to conceal.

The rumors are that the atf will finalize their brace rules sometime in December. A bunch of congress critters sent them a letter saying you better not make 30 million fellons overnight.
Nfa needs to go down as it is clearly unconditional.

Top Back Refresh