What's new

What's it worth? 1978 D44

7.62FMJ

Member Number
Loc
VA
I hate posting a "what's it worth" thread here, but I've been out of the parts game so long now...and this covid market craziness has thrown another curveball in there too...

I have a complete 1978 Bronco rolling chassis. A friend of mine is wanting the axles for his EB. I gave him the 9" from the rear...but I'd like to know a fair price for the front. I believe he just wants the axle...no suspension or steering stuff.

I was going to sell the complete front end as a kit for people wanting to SAS the '80's-'90's stuff...but if I can help out a friend, I'd rather do that. Just a standard 1978 F150/Bronco HPD44 with cast C's and 3.50 gears complete.

A couple hundred or less, depending on condition and what service parts he'll need to put it on the road.

Axles are one of those things where price is either cheap as fuck because someone is cleaning out shit that isn't relevant to their fleet anymore or expensive as fuck because the usual scumbags (not gonna mention member names, we all know who they are) are parting out shit for top dollar. I don't think anyone can in good conscience ask the latter class of prices from a friend.

$200-$300 if it complete and not screwed up in some way. That is the least desirable HP Dana 44 front, but still an upgrade for an EB. For what it is worth, I've paid under $200 for complete Dana 60s out of the junkyard, so the price should reflect what is also available locally. I don't understand the retards who list pre-superduty Dana 60s for $1,000 and the even bigger retards who pay that much.

As I recall that is the 5 lug version, right?
Couple hundred is probably right.

I have the same setup, 79 f150 rolling chassis with big block c6, np205 and driveshafts. Spool in rear. . Been saving it for sas for my 89 that ill probably never do. Been contemplating selling the whole thing. Curious what it worth

Got my rusty rolling chassis with 205 and shafts for $300. Just stock stuff. Saved it from the squisher.

After reading the TTB thread farther down Im really inclined to just pickup a ttb setup with 2wd f250 coils, small block in rear, regear rear and throw a t-case in her.(1989 f150 reg cab lwd 2wd 4.9/c6) Run some 35's and keep it low.
Thanks for the info.

No many people want the cast wedge Dana 44's , so it's hard to price.
Also, I have not seen one in the junk yard in years, so what was a $100 axle is now hard to find.
If it's a friend just give it to them, I sell a lot of crap on craigslist, but I hate selling stuff to friends.
Or trade your friend labor, no matter what skill set, everyone can run a shovel.

It just all depends on what's inside the housing. Everything stock with an open carrier...$100 to $200 depending on how clean it is.

I've picked up a few that were being replaced with 60's that already had chrome moly axles, locker and 4:88's for $500.

I've even giving a few away to get them out of the way. Now, I maybe hunting one up to chunk under a Ranger. :laughing:

I'd offer it to a friend for a deal like "take the whole chassis and it's free". Less work for you, helps out a friend, life is good.

If I offered it to some Joe Blow off the street I'd probably say something like $300-400 OBO for the rolling chassis. If the rear 9" was still there, $500-600 OBO.

They used to be $200 and plentiful, nowadays I need one for a 2wd dent side and keep coming up dry, if you were local I'd give $500 for the front half of that frame

I'm holding in to the exact same axles but geared/locked. I've been told they can fetch over 1000, but I haven't really tried selling them. I gave away the frame they were on.

I probably could have cut it in half and slapped it on a pallet.

If it helps the f150 supercab is the same from the last cab mount forward.
I'm still debating between axles, I have a set I'd super duty axles, but I'm really wanting the 96 Alcoas, either 5 lug or 8 lug

I'm considering a frame splice from a 90s ton f150, all the suspension, steering, and small block mounts, right there, just need to line up the body mounts

Top Back Refresh