What's new

Whats a reasonable price for spindles?

dntsdad

Central California
Member Number
Loc
Central California
Still looking for four and realized that I have no idea what a good price is.

I was thinking $25 each in my head with no idea why or reasoning for that number. I haven't found a single used one to base anything from.

I called Marlin and he has 4 for $45 each. Not sure if that is a decent deal or not. I live a mile from his shop so no shipping but tax.

$180 is a big number for what seems like a dime a dozen part but I will admit I haven't found any in months so maybe they are not as abundant as I was thinking.

I dunno but his prices for regular stock shit like bearings is nutz.
Call Napa?
But $45 don't seem bad today if jap sourced...

Just looked on eBay and I found 2 right away. One $125 free shipping, the other $90+20.33 shipping. Sounds like $180 may be cheap, not that eBay is the best place to find these.

Through the parts counter here:
TRAIL GEAR INC.: 140205-1-KIT $164 each
  • CHROMOLY SPINDLE

How fast do you need them and how much effort/driving are you willing to do?

$80 burns up pretty fast if you have to put in a couple hrs driving/wrenching to save money.

These days $45 sounds fair enough to me, if they are in good shape. last time I needed spindles I wanted new and went with Fuji. Made in Japan and the brass bushing is pre installed $120

Reactions: Clb
Exactly why I've been trying to tell people that toyota shit doesn't make sense anymore.

By the time you scour the earth to still pay too much, you could have been on the trail months earlier and for the same price with 9" shit.

I want a set of high 9's with portals....
Never mind they'd cost more than the truck:flipoff2:
but yea

8A438BB7-4CB7-452C-9C2E-57C1FC3403EE.jpeg
Make Offer.

Exactly why I've been trying to tell people that toyota shit doesn't make sense anymore.

By the time you scour the earth to still pay too much, you could have been on the trail months earlier and for the same price with 9" shit.
It depends whether or not you have a few parts axles laying around. When my spares pile is done, it’s SD 60s

I want a set of high 9's with portals....
Never mind they'd cost more than the truck:flipoff2:
but yea
Well, using actual hi9s with portals would be pretty dumb since you have to flip the 3rd with most portals.

9" is not as expensive as everyone thinks. Yes it is more that putting 30 splines, a locker and high steer on a stock toyota axle or D60. Once you start looking at diamond housings and basically a scratch build, 9" is actually cheaper since the aftermarket is so large for that platform. You also don't need to start off with all super bling 300m and whatever.

Example:

SD60 ~$800-1200
Fab 9 type housing ~$800
Brand new 9" 3rd with Detroit ~$1200
Respline long axle ~$200?

Obviously many would want to ad a few upgrades like 35 spline outters and hubs, but that would get you on the trail and be as strong as any Toyota axle.

Well, using actual hi9s with portals would be pretty dumb since you have to flip the 3rd with most portals.

9" is not as expensive as everyone thinks. Yes it is more that putting 30 splines, a locker and high steer on a stock toyota axle or D60. Once you start looking at diamond housings and basically a scratch build, 9" is actually cheaper since the aftermarket is so large for that platform. You also don't need to start off with all super bling 300m and whatever.

Example:

SD60 ~$800-1200
Fab 9 type housing ~$800
Brand new 9" 3rd with Detroit ~$1200
Respline long axle ~$200?

Obviously many would want to ad a few upgrades like 35 spline outters and hubs, but that would get you on the trail and be as strong as any Toyota axle.
You want to do a 9" rear on a budget? Go make friends with some folks at your local dirt track. At the end of the year until sometime early in the spring you will find some guys who are getting rid of parts, sometimes due to getting out of it, sometimes due to selling spare parts to get other parts for their off-season build. Most classes allow a floater 9, and you can get housings, spare axles, even unused gearsets with spools that have gears ratios they no longer need. First with cash usually takes home a deal, as racers are usually long on parts and short on cash. Yes, you will have to fab mounts or perches, but many of the housings are thicker by 50% or more than stock, many of their axle shafts are long splined and ready to be cut down if necessary.

This is the stage im at. I'm glad I built cruiser axles for my Tacoma, scratched that off the bucket list however the next set of axles in this truck/next truck will be a 14b/60 combo or 9/9 depending on what I fall into. Fuck toyota turning radius as well.

This is the stage im at. I'm glad I built cruiser axles for my Tacoma, scratched that off the bucket list however the next set of axles in this truck/next truck will be a 14b/60 combo or 9/9 depending on what I fall into. Fuck toyota turning radius as well.
If it was me, I'd go through the trouble to run something that can use deeper than 5.38 gears. Even the 3.4 likes to Rev. Plus deeper gears take stress off tcases.

If it was me, I'd go through the trouble to run something that can use deeper than 5.38 gears. Even the 3.4 likes to Rev. Plus deeper gears take stress off tcases.
Yea. I was just thinking 14b/60 since you can find parts for those in any remote place/junkyard/tweakers house/parts store in the USA. My cruiser axles, not so much, I damn near have to carry a scrap yard of spares.

I know 9" is pretty common but isn't every other part basically custom for a wheeling setup? I have done basically zero research on them.

Yea. I was just thinking 14b/60 since you can find parts for those in any remote place/junkyard/tweakers house/parts store in the USA. My cruiser axles, not so much, I damn near have to carry a scrap yard of spares.

I know 9" is pretty common but isn't every other part basically custom for a wheeling setup? I have done basically zero research on them.
Depends, if you're using 60 outters, all those parts are junk yard available. Then the only "custom" parts are the housing and 3rd.

On a budget, I'd do an E350 d60u rear (ff, big spindles, smooth bottom, 3.5" tubes) then either build a front with another one (they used the same center and 3.5" tubes) with BJ 60 outters, or just grab any brand 9" housing.

Run 6.17/6.20s or for 42s+ 7.17s

Top Back Refresh