What's new

What'd he do to his 6.0 psd??

reptillikus

ate lug
Member Number
Loc
Reading PA
Backstory:
03 F250 with the 6.0 psd. Typical clogged egr cooler, overheated, blown head gasket. I helped set the heads back on the motor, he did the rest. Currently it's stumbling a bit and puffs black smoke but won't start. He sent me a video of it, it has this weird popping/knocking noise when cranking over. Any ideas?

What else did he do while in there? Blue spring mod, or anything else fuel related?

What are hpop numbers when cranking?

Need more data to diagnose really. Get a Bluetooth obd2 scanner on there and get the numbers. Since the top half of the engine was apart, it could be a number of things, but to me it sounds like an injector issue. Ficm voltages, verify injector wire connections, etc.

Egr delete, aftermarket oil cooler. No power upgrades, just a simple repair job. Truck belongs to a buddies dad who uses it to tow his camper, he wasn't interested in any other mods. Im not sure if he has a scanner but if not I'll lend him mine to check that stuff.

sounds like an intake valve or valves open check the rack and for bent pushrods or bad bridges

I was thinking stuck valve. The heads looked good when we put them back on and I'm not sure how you'd bend a valve w/o the engine running. The truck belongs to a buddies dad, is an hour away from me and he works 12s during the week so no chance of me looking at it myself until the weekend.
Apparently my buddy went over there to look at it with his Dad and he said they got it started and sounded ok idling but he was afraid of driving it so they shut it back off. So I'm pretty confused now. Will an injector make that kind of noise if the HPOP system isn't fully purged of air? I know my 7.3 injectors never did that, but the 6.0 is a pretty weird motor. I'm gonna see him Friday so I'll get more info then.

What did they do to get it started?

If the engine is running, the heui system will be bled pretty quickly.

There is the correct amount of oil in it right? Lol.

Keep us posted. Interested what the issue ends up being.

no air in the oil system will not do that only an intake valve, bent or a problem with the rack. Maby a cam or lifter problem on the exhaust side

Proper oil filter/cap combo? You need to know ficm voltage, ICP, and other stuff to know exactly where to start. I had my oil system sit with 120 psi in it for 2 days and it started right up after cranking it over with the power lead on the passenger side for about 20 seconds

There’s a TON of info on these engines on YouTube and the Ford power stroke forums. Type it into google and stuff is plentiful

Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately both my buddy and his dad have covid, so I won't have an update on this for another week or two most likely. I will pass along all of this info to them though.

Something is fucked up in the valvetrain. When they get over the coof they need to pull the valve covers and inspect. Injectors aren't going to make it pop out of the intake and if it's puffing black smoke it's got enough high pressure oil to run.

So my bud just texted me, his dad just pulled the valve covers and found a broken rocker on the passenger head. Cyl 3. Said the pushrod is straight, springs look good and the valves move ok, so i guess he got lucky.

Last edited:
There were changes in the 6.0 run in the rocker arm pedestals and the heads that could cause that issue if mismatched, but if he refreshed the heads and put everything back on that came off, I wouldn't expect that problem.

Wild.

Oh ok, i didnt know that. Yeah this was just a refresh of the original heads. But ill pass it along to him to make sure he gets parts for an '03 engine.

Yeah, the pushrod lengths also changed slightly to go along with that. Have to have it all matched up for the valve train to be happy and not collapse a lifter/bend a rod.

#3, exhaust valve. Rocker snapped right off.

Hes gonna go to the dealer for parts to make sure he gets the right ones.

Attachments

• imagejpeg_1.jpg
    imagejpeg_1.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 48
Top Back Refresh