What's new

What vintage rig is this?

Thefishguy77

Part time dumbass
Member Number
Loc
U.S.S.A. (Washington St.)
Ok so the neighbor that I got the backhoe from also gave me a dump truck to go with it. It is an old dot plow truck and honestly I mainly want the 8274 off the thing. But having a dump truck around could be handy. Before he passed he said it needs brake work before it can be driven safely. His brother has the title and is going to sign it over to me but I need to try and get this bucket on to my dirt sooner rather than later. My first thought is get the winch working amd winch it home. Would require some bullshit turning and then slowly lowering it down a 20ish degree driveway about 15-20 yards to flat ground. 20 years ago I would have just sent it and tried to miss the trees, but wrecking a truck given to you in the neighbors yards isn’t very neighborly...

Took some pics today. Air cleaner is in the cab as it’s noticeable missing from the top of the carb. Truck probably hasnt been fires for 10+ years. Plans so far are to pour some atf down each cylinder and let it soak. Then change oil & filter, change fuel filter and use a outboard gas can to limp it home. At that point I can clean the tank and replace fuel lines as needed. Was going to pop the master cylinder and check brake fluid but its old and I didn’t have a wrench or socket with me at the time I was there. Radiator has cleanish looking fluid in it as well. Supposedly he had the dump bed hydraulics rebuild a few years ago so thats cool. Zero idea how to operate anything in the rig but there are levers and buttons so worst case trial and error:lmao:.
My main concern is getting it running and stopping. Everything else after that is gravy.
So what the fuck am I getting into. And yea I know I can call his brother and find out the info but then what fun would that be for you guys:flipoff2:

Going to go back over later today and get more pics and check on brake fluid and shit like that. I assume drums all the way around in this vintage. I hate drums but can do them.

Attachments

• DA20487D-EEB9-49E4-B740-A3EE512327D4.jpeg
    DA20487D-EEB9-49E4-B740-A3EE512327D4.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 182
  • 657633E7-D84B-42F9-9717-07DB4C073B42.jpeg
    657633E7-D84B-42F9-9717-07DB4C073B42.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 153
  • 6143974C-FE66-4C17-A90E-2B3F762B12FD.jpeg
    6143974C-FE66-4C17-A90E-2B3F762B12FD.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 154
  • F8691178-FDE3-469A-9F07-D57472DEEE4B.jpeg
    F8691178-FDE3-469A-9F07-D57472DEEE4B.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 168
Short chain from the rear bucket of the backhoe to the front bumper with a tire as a bumper if you want to keep it from getting too banged up.
Lift the nose up enough to take most of the weight off of the front tires and drag it home.

Aaron Z

Short chain from the rear bucket of the backhoe to the front bumper with a tire as a bumper if you want to keep it from getting too banged up.
Lift the nose up enough to take most of the weight off of the front tires and drag it home.

Aaron Z
Backhoe has no brakes either. There is a trend with his stuff:lmao:

Edit: I wonder how much speed it will pick up pushing the backhoe down that slope...

the trans mounted parking brake most likely still works fine.

The one on our 480F LL didn't, splines were all chewed out and the hole was round.
Fortunately, the splines on the shaft were still decent, so we got away with putting a new disk on it.

Aaron Z

67-73 GM C50, it looks like. Could be a C40 or C60.

Is it a tall deck 366 V8?

Either way, could probably get it running with a fresh battery, fuel from a can, some new spark plugs and clean the points on the distributor.

The one on our 480F LL didn't, splines were all chewed out and

67-73 GM C50, it looks like. Could be a C40 or C60.

Is it a tall deck 366 V8?

Either way, could probably get it running with a fresh battery, fuel from a can, some new spark plugs and clean the points on the distributor.
It's a small block look at the exhaust manifold.

Keep it in first gear low range and use the loader bucket if you have to stop.

Aaron Z
Backhoe is a 480C. 1980 I think. I only run it in 1st gear due to no brakes:lmao: my Vag got sandy as some point and brakes became important. Not sure when it happened but it happened Machine has zero bakes beside the bucket. Didn’t get a chance to go back over there today.

My back has be screaming me all day and I hand dug about 30’ of trench for my neighbor, currently housing my dump truck, so she can get her propane tank installed and up to the house. In turn she said I could have about 15-17 yards, big pile, of 5/8s minus. Took me about 1.5 hours to dig the ditch and 12 ish yards is about $350-375 delivered. So thats about $400/hr? I will work in pain for that rate:smokin: Then took my
MIL shooting so she could practice before she has to go get recertification for he Cali CC permit. Overall a good day.

On the truck? If so I believe your correct. Might have to test it first. Going to need to block In front of the tires so If it fails I dont coast into her house or off the embankment because I turned to miss her house:lmao:

If it's like our 480F the parking brake is stupid simple to get at and replace the disc (pull 2 caliper bolts, wiggle old one off, tap new one on), I think I had less than 30 mins into it.
Part was $160ish.

Aaron Z

All i got for you is...get a priming tool for the oil pump. learn from my mistake..i fired up a engine after it sat 27 years and it never really ran right in the 30 mins i had it running total.

i fuckin spun bearings, apparently it ran dry for a little bit.

Our '72 C60 366 bbc has a different oil pump drive than a standard Chevy fwiw.

All i got for you is...get a priming tool for the oil pump. learn from my mistake..i fired up a engine after it sat 27 years and it never really ran right in the 30 mins i had it running total.

i fuckin spun bearings, apparently it ran dry for a little bit.
Definitely will look into the oil pump before spinning it over.

Not sure how much my back is going to allow my to get done. Hasn’t hurt like this for probably over 20 years, like last time I hit the ground around 60. Going to have to take a walk to see if it wll either loosen up of force me to go to a doc. I am hoping it loosens up. Advil and Tylenol aint doing shit

I wouldn’t short you fuckers with only injury pics. There will be video involved if I send it one way or the other:smokin:
All this send talk just makes me think this is gonna be like the elbe crowd.. a whole bunch of not sending it.. lol

Definitely will look into the oil pump before spinning it over.

Not sure how much my back is going to allow my to get done. Hasn’t hurt like this for probably over 20 years, like last time I hit the ground around 60. Going to have to take a walk to see if it wll either loosen up of force me to go to a doc. I am hoping it loosens up. Advil and Tylenol aint doing shit
It's ibrophren (max dose) then Tylenol (max dose) rotate every 4 hrs

did I miss something? you have a backhoe but hand dug a ditch? something don't add up!

Top Back Refresh