What's new

What Trucks come with the LS 6.2 & 6 speed auto?

Jorge Meza

Red Liner
Member Number
Loc
South Georgia
Guys need your advice here.

I think I'm ready to do a 6.2 swap into my LJ.

What years Trucks started to come with the 6.2 AND 6L90 speed auto? Not 6L80 but the 6L90 tranny.

I've been watching Escalades on salvaged car auctions for the last 2 years but Escalades seem to never be cheap. So I think I should start to look into Trucks with this drivetrain combo.

Last edited:
1500's with the Max trailering package that had the 6.2L optioned, should be that combo. Starting in 2011 for about 5 years or so, that combo could be had starting at the LT package. Prior to that it was the high end packages (LTZ and up) that could option that motor.

GMC trucks seemed to be optioned with the 6.2L more than Silverados are so that would be a good starting point for you as well.

Many of the Denali’s shared drivetrains with the Escalades, might be the same deal though in terms of $. Can’t you find one that was stolen by the cartel and full of bullet holes and blood? :flipoff2:

I didn't think any of the SUVs got the L92 6.2 and a 6l90. Wife's Yukon Denali XL was a 6.2 w/6l80. 6l90 I thought was reserved for the 2500hd gas optioned trucks but with the iron block 6.0l? I don't recall any packages that got both.

One little tidbit on the 6l90, it's about 1.5" longer than the 80. The clutch packs have an extra disc in them.

The 6L90 is only used in 2500hd/3500hd trucks behind the 6.0 gasser, starting with the gmt900 platform, and is still in use currently behind the new 6.6 gasser. May have been used in some cab & chassis' and vans as well.

Modern GM trans noob question: does the 6L90 have a standalone TCU, and does it interface with the ECU at all? Could someone pull a 6.2L from one truck, a trans from a different truck without a 6.2, and make them work together with just the donor trucks' parts?

I also just dove into 6.2L specs and realized that there were quite a few models between the GM trucks/SUVs, and the performance cars...

These are just the naturally aspirated models:

L92
L9H
L94
LS3
LT1
L86
L87
LT4
LT5

I've looked into 6.0's a bunch, and more recently the smaller LFX 3.6's, but it looks like the 6.2 world is more niche.

Modern GM trans noob question: does the 6L90 have a standalone TCU, and does it interface with the ECU at all? Could someone pull a 6.2L from one truck, a trans from a different truck without a 6.2, and make them work together with just the donor trucks' parts?

I also just dove into 6.2L specs and realized that there were quite a few models between the GM trucks/SUVs, and the performance cars...

These are just the naturally aspirated models:

L92
L9H
L94
LS3
LT1
L86
L87
LT4
LT5

I've looked into 6.0's a bunch, and more recently the smaller LFX 3.6's, but it looks like the 6.2 world is more niche.
6L80/6L90s have a TCM internal to the transmission. You would need a E38 ECU to run either. E38 was the standard Gen4 6.2L ECU. There are a few companies that make a standalone "controller" but they run about $1000 and arent needed if you run the factory ECU (Gen 4 LS). You would need to flash both the TCM and ECU to the same vehicle specs (ie 2010 Escalade, ect) to get them to talk to each other I believe.

Gen 5 (LT) I'm not super familiar with so I can't comment on.

Another thing to be aware of is some of the early 6L80/90 transmissions (07-10 IIRC) have to have the TEHCM bench flashed to be cross compatible with the ECM if it isn't from the same year/model truck. Later transmissions could be swapped over to other Gen 4 platforms as stated by Toreadorranger. Starting in '10 the vettes got a programming up grade for faster shifting, not sure if it's backwards compatible.

There's tons of information on the 6l80/90 transmission swaps out there but it takes some research and digging to make sure you have everything right or pay $$$ to get it setup by someone else.

Top Back Refresh