What's new

What transmission...

Member Number
Loc
South Park, CO
... Would a 99 K2500 with a Vortec 350 have? I have this truck in my boneyard with a bad engine, never even looked underneath at the transmission

And what transmission would an 02 K3500 with a vortec 6.0 (what the owner told me) have?

And would they interchange if both are 4l80es?

Thanks for any help.

They are both 4l80e trannies. Years can be a bit goofy because in 99 chevy was selling both the old body style and new one in the 3/4 ton trucks.

The old body style (350 vortec) 4l80e will have a different bell housing pattern. When they switched to the LS motors they added a bolt hole on the top middle of the bell housing.

They also have different torque converters.

97+ use the same cooler lines so that shouldn't be an issue.

Internally they are basically the same, although my transmission guy tells me the 01+ received some strength upgrades.

I am not positive on the wiring/connector side.

Thanks, confirmed what I was guessing, not interchangeable. The 02 6.0 runs well and has 150k on the odometer. Bodys decent, listed for 1500. Seems like an ok deal.

Aren't ls and old school chevy the same 7 bolt bellhousing pattern? Some newer ones don't have the top hole, and ls is missing one of the sides?

Reactions: PAE
The bellhousing pattern is the same +/- the top bolt hole 5.7/6.0 1955?-present

Not like ford that changes bellhousing patterns every generation

The bellhousing pattern is the same +/- the top bolt hole 5.7/6.0 1955?-present

Not like ford that changes bellhousing patterns every generation
Yes, I wasn't clear in my post. It's the same pattern but they added an extra bolt hole for LS blocks.

That's probably a better way of saying it.

In regards to the op's question, I think they will interchange, but you would need a spacer on the flexplate since the vortec (350) will have the crank a little further away than the ls. Or you may just be better off to get the correct tc

I have an 05 4l80 in my 98. Swapped in without issue, but I retained the 98 torque converter

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh