What's new

What to look for in a gooseneck

i'm surprised how light those 'big tex' trailers are from the pic above.

i have a 20' ironbull 14k with 'rampage' ramps the spring loaded deals that fold into the deack (i hate them, and took them off) well i thought it weighed 4k lbs but just looked at their brochure and looks like 3000lbs, still a bit more than the big tex

fwiw all the iron bull trailers i've seen have been really well built.

https://norstarcompany.com/images/uploads/20220323/etb-60505.pdf

i'm surprised how light those 'big tex' trailers are from the pic above.

i have a 20' ironbull 14k with 'rampage' ramps the spring loaded deals that fold into the deack (i hate them, and took them off) well i thought it weighed 4k lbs but just looked at their brochure and looks like 3000lbs, still a bit more than the big tex

fwiw all the iron bull trailers i've seen have been really well built.

https://norstarcompany.com/images/uploads/20220323/etb-60505.pdf
my Iron Bull 14k 7*14' dump trailer is north of 5k pounds.. it weighs more than my 24' Doolittle gooseneck. lol

i have a 20' ironbull 14k with 'rampage' ramps the spring loaded deals that fold into the deack (i hate them, and took them off)

I love those style ramps on my GN. I hate stand up and slide in on a equip hauler. These take the weight off the dove, dont have to crib, or kill my back.

No way I'd run them on a 20ft bumper pull. Maybe 22-24ft so there's usable deck.

I love those style ramps on my GN. I hate stand up and slide in on a equip hauler. These take the weight off the dove, dont have to crib, or kill my back.

No way I'd run them on a 20ft bumper pull. Maybe 22-24ft so there's usable deck.
yep, and thats exactly the problem... trialers to short. i've taken them off and put htem on a few times, i'm done with that, not putting them back on. my plan is to extend and power the dove so it'll be a 24-25' power dove....
also thinking maybe make the dove easily removable and plumb the hydraulics so i can drop a dump box on it from time to time. an equipment/ dump trailer. it would be heavy, handy and i could sell the 10k dump trialer i use now.

Yes, some things I list as both a like and dislike.

Things I like about my 26' lowboy gooseneck...
it's not a deckover.
rumber floor/deck...no wood to replace.
platform above gooseneck for putting random shit.
added a toolbox up on the platform above the gooseneck for storing stuff.
no dovetail...glad it doesn't have a dovetail to drag on shit.
very well made...nice size double c-channel frame, nice welds. Looks to be quality work, not some shit that some companies turn out nowadays.
hydraulic over electric disc brakes.
torsion axles...no springs/shackles/equalizers to replace...easy to make the trailer deck taller by putting a tube spacer between the axles and frame (the reason I would look at raising the trailer is because the gooseneck is close to the bedsides in certain situations).

Things I don't necessarily like...
no winch...just need to add one...make a mount for one.
not 102" wide.
no rubrail/stake pockets (just D rings)...but I have some weld on stake pockets. (just need to get them welded on).
with having a platform over the gooseneck, the gooseneck height is short and really close to the pickup bedsides in the right "twisty" situation.
no dovetail...sometimes I wish it had a dovetail to make it easier to load low vehicles.
ramps don't lay flat against the deck when laid all the way forward (they catch a lot of wind when up).
fenders are huge square box looking things and are not driveover and not removable.
torsion axles...if/when the "torsion" wears out, I have to replace the whole axle.

Everything about this Big Tex 16GN is awesome... except the clearance to the bed rails. I've had it kiss my tailgate once already and a buddy had it glance his bed rail last week sneaking into some Cabins in Hatfield McCoy trails.

Its 5700 lbs IIRC with 8k oil baths under it. I enjoy the mega ramps for the fact that they support the dove when loading and loading heavier equipment. This trailer gets used for everything from a trailer load of 6 ATVs to trucks, machinery, etc.

20210501_142702.jpg

20220430_190713.jpg

20211212_163004.jpg

I did just buy a used trailer. It's not a gooseneck but will work just great for me and my needs.

1652218555405.png

1652218536466.png

32' bumper pull. Three 5200 lb axles. Not psyched about the extra set of tires and the scrub while turning but it does have it's advantages also.

It DOES have the ramp type I prefer.
It does have the dovetail for my dumb car.
It is 83" wide between the fenders.
It weighs 4200 lbs vs 5900 lbs (my 28' PJ deckover weight)

It doesn't tow as well as the PJ (it's fine, just not as nice)
It has 15" tires (wheeeee)
The previous owner bolt on tie downs need to come off before someone uses them

I will need a 14k weight distributing hitch.
I assume I'll have scrub tires that wear faster than I'd like them to?

I did just buy a used trailer. It's not a gooseneck but will work just great for me and my needs.

32' bumper pull. Three 5200 lb axles. Not psyched about the extra set of tires and the scrub while turning but it does have it's advantages also.

My work likes 3 axles. I'm not a fan, yes they scrub much more than a 2 axle. Doing it with 5200 lb axles is even worse since they could have used 2 8k's.

I'd think about selling those 3 and putting 2 8k's under it personally.

My work likes 3 axles. I'm not a fan, yes they scrub much more than a 2 axle. Doing it with 5200 lb axles is even worse since they could have used 2 8k's.

I'd think about selling those 3 and putting 2 8k's under it personally.

I'll give it an eval period and decide what to do. Trailer has good bones. We'll work with it a bit if needed. I've got a car that needs cash, then a Jeep that needs cash. I'll have a good idea of what to do with the trailer by the time those are done. Then I'll go back to the car and complete it from what it is (TH400 will be needing to go away by then I'm sure---6 speed manual that can take 600+ ft lbs is what I'm wanting to have)

1652218555405.png

1652218536466.png

That's a big bubbas isn't it?

I'll give it an eval period and decide what to do. Trailer has good bones. We'll work with it a bit if needed. I've got a car that needs cash, then a Jeep that needs cash. I'll have a good idea of what to do with the trailer by the time those are done. Then I'll go back to the car and complete it from what it is (TH400 will be needing to go away by then I'm sure---6 speed manual that can take 600+ ft lbs is what I'm wanting to have)

Absolutely, that why I said "I'd think about..." :laughing:

I do wonder if a 3 axle is better for bucking since the load is spread out. I don't have a direct comparison, but the trailer I pull every day is 22k lbs on a 3 axle bumper pull and it doesn't buck too bad.

I'd still have went for 12k tandem duals with a spread if it were mine.

They're well build for sure. At least all the ones I've seen. :smokin:

I don't have too much to complain about. The crossmembers are surprisingly tube. I thought they'd be angle or channel but they are rectangular tube. This will be handy to weld to when I add some good tie downs to the deck.

Honestly if you are running highway mostly I'd run that triple axle bumper.. would I prefer 2-7k/8k axles? Sure but if the price is right I'd roll with the triple 5.2k. the triple axle should help with sway at least. What are you pulling it with? 3/4t or dually?

Honestly if you are running highway mostly I'd run that triple axle bumper.. would I prefer 2-7k/8k axles? Sure but if the price is right I'd roll with the triple 5.2k. the triple axle should help with sway at least. What are you pulling it with? 3/4t or dually?

My thoughts exactly. Pulling it with a 2010 V10 F350 SRW. (losing weight from the gooseneck (5900 lbs vs 4200 lbs) now starts to make a little more sense now that the tow rig is defined?) I am curious about sway. I do think I'll handle emergency situations better with a friction type Equalizer hitch even with the 3 axle? The 14k units are kinda ouch but I think a good expense rather than a wadded up bunch of rigs and whatever/whomever they might hit if the situation got a little sketch.

I run 15" 10 ply on my camper just for the extra peace of mind.. you may look into that if the tires are questionable. I have had pretty good luck with the Hartland brand from Discount tire.

I run 15" 10 ply on my camper just for the extra peace of mind.. you may look into that if the tires are questionable. I have had pretty good luck with the Hartland brand from Discount tire.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely look to Discount. Trailer tires suck in my experience but I think with a heavy trailer like this and this being a 15", that's the best choice. 15" trailer tires are totally new to me. Tires are questionable and need replacing before a Rubicon trip in July (SLC to South Lake Tahoe and back).

Some of the goosenecks I were considering were triple axle. They were about $3k more than this bumper pull. I never did go look at them but assumed they'd all be 8 lug. After picking this thing up, I wonder if they do use the 5200 lb axles on some of the lighter duty goosenecks? Something that people should watch out for when purchasing for sure if you're looking at a three axle.

Last edited:

Thats a good point. If it's just for road trip stuff anyway, the tripple 5200s may be better.

At work, I'm always around town, twisty roads and doing stupid maneuvers into driveways. So 3 axles make no sense to me. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh