What's new

What To Know Before Buying - 2006 Dodge 2500 5.9 Cummins

Rear driveshaft from an 08 quad cab is one piece. That's what I went with. Easy to find.

I did a frame mounted CAT 2 micron filter setup. Easy and cheap.

You got a an amazing deal ! The common rails are great trucks but as others have said they have their downfalls like everything else . I have a shop full of good used common rail parts cylinder heads , turbos , injectors , injection pump , rods pistons etc . I’ve had a few apart and it’s primarily been the fault of lazy owners oh and one garbage rebuild I got to deal with .

Rear driveshaft from an 08 quad cab is one piece. That's what I went with. Easy to find.

I did a frame mounted CAT 2 micron filter setup. Easy and cheap.

Where were you able to find a driveshaft? Rockauto they're about $800 - wondering if there is some place to find one at a more affordable cost..

Is this what you went with on the dual filter setup? I like this price point a lot more: 03-12 Cummins Fuel Filter Kit

You got a an amazing deal ! The common rails are great trucks but as others have said they have their downfalls like everything else . I have a shop full of good used common rail parts cylinder heads , turbos , injectors , injection pump , rods pistons etc . I’ve had a few apart and it’s primarily been the fault of lazy owners oh and one garbage rebuild I got to deal with .

Yeah I definitely want to keep up on the maintenance. I am in the process of going through everything to get this thing on a proper maintenence schedule. Everything I've replaced so far has been new within the last year with NAPA's top of the line products, so I have been extremely pleased with that. Being I have a daily driver Honda, this will be primarily used for long trips or hooking up to a trailer and going. Eliminating that short start/stop and in town trips should help on longevity.

I went to a local driveline shop at the time and ordered through him. Was $600 but worth it to me.

Yes that looks the same as the kit I did but not sure if it was through them. Been a while.

No comments on leaky injectors? Ol lippy larry learned me that you should check the oil often so you dont window the block. For awhile there it was a common thing.

I am late I guess, but I bought a 06 2500 new in 2005. I had one no start problem when it was less than a year old, and one blend door malfunction. Aside from that its been a pretty good truck. I have put about 90k on it and have debated selling it many times, but I know that it would be hard to replace it for the money I would get from selling it.

No comments on leaky injectors? Ol lippy larry learned me that you should check the oil often so you dont window the block. For awhile there it was a common thing.
A buddy was towing his drag car back from the track, going up the grade from Las Vegas to Pahrump it started to run funny, so he pulled over and gave it a quick look and didn't see anything wrong so got back in and POW, threw one of those famous rods through the block. He gets out, opens the hood and is looking at the damage when some guys pulls up behind him to tell him his race car trailer is on fire! They get the trailer disconnected and it burns to the ground while they watch, dude gives Kelly his business card, and it turns out he's a professional consultant for the insurance industry specializing in fire damage. When the insurance company started trying to fuck Kelly around he got ahold of the guy who produced a statement of facts and Kelly got paid for his race car, the trailer, and all the stuff in the trailer, he had to pay for the engine, but that was the consensus that a stuck injector had hydraulic'd the engine.

Jerry and I put an aftermarket lift pump in it before Dean got it.
And we just replaced it again at 220k, and put in new seat bottom foam....now the seat is too tall for dean...lol....debbie loves it though

Top Back Refresh