What's new

What to do with a 429?

Pony_Driver

Red Skull Member
Member Number
In a moment of "Yeah, that sounds like a great idea!" I agreed to buy a 429 out of a 71 Torino GT that's been sitting in a corner of a shop (covered) with the heads and intake off for 20 years. Sell it? Find something to Rat Rod? Stuff it in a FFR MkIV? Dump it in an ole International Load Star and roast the tires? Other?

First thing, make sure it isn't a CJ or SCJ engine. Post up casting numbers, or google them to see what you have.

Will do once I get it. I am pretty sure it's just a Thunder Jet.

I put one in my 78 Bronco. My neighbor had a 1969 Mercury Marquis 4 door olive green that sat under his carport for 12 years or more with a bad transmission. He saw me working on my Bronco and asked me if I wanted the car. I pulled the engine after getting the car running and dropped it in with Edelbrock intake, L&L headers. It was cool factor, not a CJ or anything fancy. Big heavy engine that belongs in old iron of that era IMO. I will say, it's really awesome to hear a big block fire up for the first time after doing all that work.

I put one in my 78 Bronco. My neighbor had a 1969 Mercury Marquis 4 door olive green that sat under his carport for 12 years or more with a bad transmission. He saw me working on my Bronco and asked me if I wanted the car. I pulled the engine after getting the car running and dropped it in with Edelbrock intake, L&L headers. It was cool factor, not a CJ or anything fancy. Big heavy engine that belongs in old iron of that era IMO. I will say, it's really awesome to hear a big block fire up for the first time after doing all that work.
I agree. There are benefits to buying a kit car, building it and driving it. OTOH, a custom rat rod is always :smokin:. Maybe if I could find another 429 I could build one of each?:laughing:

I don’t know what happened to the Torino. The engine was pulled 20 years ago, the car may be gone.

I cant tell you how many of these ive seen swapped into a dentside over the years.

I bought one that way that was a hack job, ( still had the car passenger side manifold, so someone torched the frame to clear it) but ran good for being bone stock, had to keep timing lower and ran 93 in it to keep it from pinging with stock cam.

Id say buy a dentside and put it in there.:grinpimp:

Just make sure its not a 72

I put one of those with DOVE heads in an rusty black 69 bumpside years ago. That truck was wayyyy fun to cruise around in. At around 130 the front end would get light. Ran 14.0's at Ark City, KS on Wrangler mud grips.

Does OP own a boat ?

Ya know something to put at the end of a chain or sturdy rope!!

Top Back Refresh