What's new

What Spices/Dry Rubs Go On Your Chicken Before It Hits The Grill?

boy&hisdogs

GMT400 Nerd
Member Number
Loc
California
Grilled chicken is like the universal meat, at least in our house. I'm always looking for a way to make it better.

So what do you all do?

I've been using Montreal Chicken from Costco, and it's alright but I'd like something a little more smoky/savory.

My wife will occasionally marinate chicken breasts in italian dressing for a night before we throw them on the grill.

Otherwise it's generally garlic powder, Lawry's seasoned pepper, and Lawry's seasoned salt and then grilled.

Just ordered some chicken shit to try out.

1620506085047.png

I've become a big fan of Flavor of the Gods seasoning.
Quality ingredients and doesn't rely on too much salt or sugars.

For some reason they won’t ship it, but if you have a Williams and Sonoma nearby this is the best assortment of seasonings I’ve had. They are fresh, and big pieces of the spices. It’s expensive enough that I wouldn’t use it on a pork shoulder, but it lasts a dang long time making meals for 1-2 people.

I will marinade boneless skinless chicken thighs in teriyaki

I found these at Lowe’s and figured I’d give them a try, both are excellent

6CFA279E-48B9-4EF1-B620-AB17C6DFA9BA.jpeg

Marinated in margarita mix does well.

For thighs I like to inject Tony Chachere's cajun butter and rub and then the smoker.

This is my go-to for basically any chicken I don't want to fuck with other than seasoning. It's a dry rub wing mix but awesome for anything. I prep it in 4-8 servings and store for a quick and tasty rub. Typically I skip the brown sugar and add more chili, cumin and cayenne.

• 1/2 Tbsp ancho chile pepper
  • 1/2 Tbsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 Tbsp onion powder
  • 1/2 Tbsp kosher salt
  • 3/4 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
  • 3/4 tsp chili powder
  • 3/4 tsp paprika
  • 3/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tsp dried mustard powder
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp dried ground thyme

Local butcher shop chain here in the bay area struck a deal selling sauces and rubs at Costco and Safeway. They have them at all the local bay area stores, not sure if nationwide. But they carry a full line of rubs and they are awesome. I try to support them as much as I can, good solid local business.

Kinders

For chicken I go for the tequila lime rub Tequila Lime Rub – Kinder's BBQ

Beef I go for the cali blackened rub Cali's Blackened Rub – Kinder's BBQ

Steaks I like the buttery steakhouse rub Buttery Steakhouse Rub – Kinder's BBQ

Pork ribs I used the brown sugar rub as a base, add some cayenne and fresh ground allspice Brown Sugar Rub – Kinder's BBQ

McCormick brown sugar bourbon seasoning and Paleo powder. Rub down some chicken thighs and go to town.

We grilled up some chicken this week with Chicken Shit on it based on this thread. Everybody liked it. It wasn't world changing, but was a nice change of pace.

Last edited:
Bought some rubs from Pork Barrel Rubs company, but I am also expermenting with old stand bys like Lemon Pepper on Brisket and Lemon Pepper and Garlic salt on pork butt

Bought some rubs from Pork Barrel Rubs company, but I am also expermenting with old stand bys like Lemon Pepper on Brisket and Lemon Pepper and Garlic salt on pork butt
Pork butt was nice, bought a fresh cut 16 LB brisket, I split at the upper fat layer, then split the bigger piece ended up with one 6 lb, and two 3lb pieces all with fat on one side. Did one of the 3lbs yesterday using Pork Barrel Rubs beef rub, fighting a balky GFCI, it finally was done at 9PM after starting of course I had to have a sandwich! Well worth the wait! :flipoff2::smokin:

Lawry's.

The running joke with us is,

So any time we use it, its Mike Lowrey's.

Lemon zest and pepper slather mayo on both sides to hold spice and make a brown crust

I use Tacticalories Hand Canon on my chicken thighs or their Bosco blend if the old lady doesn't want spicy. Been a fan of all of their seasonings. Use the Bosco as my rub for pork butt.

Also been using their forged in fire salt for some heat with a little flavor.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh