What's new

What really fails in an ARB during a catastrophic event?

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
Title basically states it. I have zero interest in installer errors such as rolled/pinch o-rings and air line routing issues. Is it the main case, side gears, spider gears or other?

I recall a competition Ford 9" that had issues in 35 spline setup.

Extra details:
My specific interest is Tundra 10.5" ARB.

My specific project is Tundra center with Super Duty outers. Since I'm going custom width, I need custom shafts so I'm debating swapping out the stock Tundra 36 spline side gears for either standard Dana 35 spline or 40 spline. My concern is whether the side gears are a "common" failure point.

no experience with arb failures but Id bet axle shafts are braking before side gears. I have seen a few pics of cracked main cases, but it appeared that was caused by pinion walking up into it.

The Tundra 10.5" ARB (RD146) is pretty much the same size as a Dana 70 Air Locker and those are pretty dang tough.

Randy Slawson ran the prototype 10.5" Tundra Air Locker in his KOH rig for 2 or 3 years, he says he never opened it once.

If it's installed correctly, you keep the gear oil clean, don't crash lock it and run 150psi air pressure, it is doubtful you'll have much problems.

A broken axle shaft could cause some issue if it is catastrophic enough. Though repair parts are available at the HQ in Seattle.

<snip>

If it's installed correctly, you keep the gear oil clean, don't crash lock it and run 150psi air pressure, it is doubtful you'll have much problems.

A broken axle shaft could cause some issue if it is catastrophic enough. Though repair parts are available at the HQ in Seattle.
What do you mean by crash lock? :confused:

What would be most likely to break if an inner shaft blew out/bound one side?

What do you mean by crash lock? :confused:

What would be most likely to break if an inner shaft blew out/bound one side?

Crash locking is locking the locker in while tires are spinning. Take your foot off the gas, let the left and right tire equalize in speed before locking in.

Most likely a broken shaft would do nothing more that scar up the inside of the bearing journal. They typically don't break stuff inside the locker like you'll see with a Detroit.

Now a shaft exploding inside a bearing journal, especially with an angular break, could wedge themselves inside the journal, expanding the bearing journal and damage the outer case or flange cap.

Wish I still had all the pics from the old days at ARB Tech, we got to see some pretty cool breaks from people hammering stuff hard.

this

only problems ive ever had with my arb's or friends arb's was caused by something else, bad routing of the copper line inside the 3rd getting pinched after install, a tree branch taking out an air line etc.

Most likely a broken shaft would do nothing more that scar up the inside of the bearing journal. They typically don't break stuff inside the locker like you'll see with a Detroit.
buddy snapped a 14b axle shaft right at the splines with an arb, drove back a few miles to camp and it ate up the inside of the bearing journal just as you describe. didnt cause any real damage and the arb is still going strong 9 or so years later

Top Back Refresh