What's new

What Phone do I Want? Replace a PRIV

Lee

Guild of Calamitous Intent
Member Number
Loc
The Natural State
If you keep buying the same phone every time you break one, eventually you'll have enough spare parts to make a complete phone.

I think I've single-handedly kept the eBay and Swappa Blackberry PRIV market alive for the past few years. My latest conglomeration of PRIV parts needs a battery and I cracked its screen last week. PRIV is no longer supported, and getting slower each day.

I love the PRIV's big screen and slide out physical keyboard.

When the PRIV was discontinued and it was time to get a new work phone (I have 2 cell phones work & personal) I got a Blackberry KeyOne, because I still wanted a physical keyboard and Android.

The KeyOne is okay, but its form factor leaves a lot to be desired, I much prefer the PRIV's full screen with slide out keyboard to the KeyOne's candybar style fixed keyboard and smaller screen. You can still find new KeyOnes on Amazon & eBay, but they were superseded a while back by the Key2 and lesser Key2 LE, same format as the KeyOne but newer, better, faster. I do like that I can get a unlocked, dual sim, "international" Key2, that would allow me to only carry one phone.

I've been all over the Google, doesn't seem there are any other options for an unlocked and/or ATT smart phone with a physical keyboard.

I'm not just a contemptible, old, fart that wants a physical keyboard on my phone. I'm a contemptible, old, fart that has essential tremors, and a physical keyboard is way easier for me to use than a touch screen.

Anyone know of any other QWERTY keyboard Android phone that's still being supported by Android?

60689791_10104091360752257_2417602190014152704_o.jpg

60871333_10104091360837087_8237439586565881856_o.jpg

61131930_10104091360881997_7516039218624200704_o.jpg

Last edited:
Well I'm still rocking a BB Q10, so I know how you feel. I think this year I'm finally going to have to bite the bullet and get something new, although it will likely be at the expense of any keyboard.

I did same thing for Sidekick, then Relay S. Now and still on Samsung S5. Took long time to get used to qwerty-less phone.

Yeah, that's just something else to have to charge, and force you to have your bluetooth on and connected to full time. Neat idea, but not practical.

What? said:
I did same thing for Sidekick, then Relay S. Now and still on Samsung S5. Took long time to get used to qwerty-less phone.

I had an old Samsung slider QWERTY before this that was well past its prime, but I rooted and put a slimmed down later version Android OS on. I haven't looked at XDA to see what options are available for the PRIV, I mostly just want to buy something that works, not have another project.

Last edited:
The PRIV is practically unusable now, I've been doing a lot of research, I narrowed it down to Pixel or Nokia. Unfortunately none of Nokia's mid level Androids have optical image stabilization anymore, sad because that's what they used to be known for. Pixel 3a recently got the axe, 4 is current model, and its 4a replacement isn't rumored to be available until October. Will probably be able to snag a cheap Pixel 4 when the 4a hits the market, but I can't wait that long.

I gave in,and just ordered a refurbished Pixel 3a from eBay, it doesn't have a physical keyboard, and I have apprehensions.

I just couldn't bring myself to drop $500+ for a Key2.

Hopefully I can adjust the touch sensitivity low enough to avoid inadvertent double taps.

Pixel 3xl is pretty sweet! Going on 1.5 years for me seems to be holding up.well. Google scam call phone screening is worth it! :homer:

Here, Indiegogo for a smartphone with a real keyboard.

$679 seems a little steep but it does look like a pretty solid setup especially with the OS choices it has. Of course I suppose many other phones cost even more so maybe I'm just a cheapskate.

The PRIV was around $600 when it was released, I bought it after it'd been out for about a year for about 1/2 that.

I'm not so interested in a crowd funded phone. Glad someone is keeping the dream alive though. I'm hoping that OnwardMobility comes out with a PRIV successor, something better than the KeyOne and Key2. OnwardMobility has licensed the Blackberry name, is working with Foxconn, and is supposed to have new Blackberries for 2021.

Currently still using the Pixel 3a mentioned above, the camera is amazing and the battery life is awesome, I do miss my QWERTY, but Google Assistant voice to text works A LOT better on the Pixel than it ever did on the PRIV or KeyOne.

What the? I got 99 problems but I feel a bit better knowing this \/ ain't one of them. I like my S8.

If you keep buying the same phone every time you break one, eventually you'll have enough spare parts to make a complete phone.

I think I've single-handedly kept the eBay and Swappa Blackberry PRIV market alive for the past few years. My latest conglomeration of PRIV parts needs a battery and I cracked its screen last week. PRIV is no longer supported, and getting slower each day.

I love the PRIV's big screen and slide out physical keyboard.

When the PRIV was discontinued and it was time to get a new work phone (I have 2 cell phones work & personal) I got a Blackberry KeyOne, because I still wanted a physical keyboard and Android.

The KeyOne is okay, but its form factor leaves a lot to be desired, I much prefer the PRIV's full screen with slide out keyboard to the KeyOne's candybar style fixed keyboard and smaller screen. You can still find new KeyOnes on Amazon & eBay, but they were superseded a while back by the Key2 and lesser Key2 LE, same format as the KeyOne but newer, better, faster. I do like that I can get a unlocked, dual sim, "international" Key2, that would allow me to only carry one phone.

I've been all over the Google, doesn't seem there are any other options for an unlocked and/or ATT smart phone with a physical keyboard.

I'm not just a contemptible, old, fart that wants a physical keyboard on my phone. I'm a contemptible, old, fart that has essential tremors, and a physical keyboard is way easier for me to use than a touch screen.

Anyone know of any other QWERTY keyboard Android phone that's still being supported by Android?

Just bite the bullet and go with a factory Samsung A70. Great camera, great graphics, big screen, dual sim, cheap, and you'll eventually get used to the virtual keyboard. If you have to have a physical keyboard, this can charge as a pass through:

FYI - I bought a Google Pixel 5 since this was originally posted. It's actually pretty good.

that's my next phone I'm pretty sure. Pixel 2 is going on year 3 and starting have a few issues. Nokia is alos on my radar but really like the Pixel5.

that's my next phone I'm pretty sure. Pixel 2 is going on year 3 and starting have a few issues. Nokia is alos on my radar but really like the Pixel5.

The battery life is epic...I'm not a heavy phone user (maybe an hour tops of screen time per day) and am currently on day 5 without charging and 30% battery left. Rest of it seems good too.

I'll bead when I have to buy a new phone, going on two years with the Pixel 3XL. I'd love a Note but don't want to pay for it and like the Google phone stuff:laughing:

Are any of these phones better than an other for receiving signal? I live in a rural area and I swear the signal strength has been steadily declining around. I have Verizon pay as you go plan (30/mo) with 5 gigs of data of which I never use. I had to buy a phone quick a couple months back so I got a Samsung A01 which is an absolute pile of shit with no support from VZ. I need to get another phone ASAP so I'll be looking into the suggestions here.

The KeyOne has slightly better signal strength than any of my PRIVs ever did. The KeyOne would intermittently get 1 bar in places that the PRIV got none. I work in a lot of rural, agricultural, areas, and could usually figure out the spots I could go to get usable signal with the KeyOne when the PRIV had none. The Pixel gets signal in all of the areas I go, even where the KeyOne only got intermittent signal, I can get at least a 1 bar constantly.

The battery life is epic...I'm not a heavy phone user (maybe an hour tops of screen time per day) and am currently on day 5 without charging and 30% battery left. Rest of it seems good too.

Are you getting 5g anywhere yet?

What the? I got 99 problems but I feel a bit better knowing this \/ ain't one of them. I like my S8.

My S7 has been good to me. I just cracked the screen. I had to pay a bit to get that fixed, but it's good to go now. It does slow a bit over time, but I just reinitialize it every year, reload everything and keep on going.

moto g power are $180 on amazon right now.

no keyboard. but a solid cheap handset. I literally just bought one to replace my 3 year old moto phone.

I'll bead when I have to buy a new phone, going on two years with the Pixel 3XL. I'd love a Note but don't want to pay for it and like the Google phone stuff:laughing:

im on the google phone train, ive had 3 total i believe and theyve all lasted 3 years each

and i think it was the battery crapping out that made me get a new one last time

i got the 3a XL currently and my only regret is i wish it had more memory

holy crap, really? done deal then.

I haven't had much of an issue getting signal with my phone.

holy crap, really? done deal then.

I haven't had much of an issue getting signal with my phone.

Yes, really. I charged this morning for the first time all week from around 25%...was charged in an hour or so too. I have the 90hz enabled, adaptive battery enabled but not using battery saver, wifi and cellular on, bluetooth on, adaptive brightness on (screen always seems to be at the right brightness)...it just works.

As said, I'm not a heavy user which is why I can go so long but I am fairly certain most normal people could even do two full days no problem.

What model moto g power, the G7? Or?

Moto G8 Power...I have one sitting behind me as a test device for work. It's not quite as good as my Pixel 5 but it's actually a solid phone, for the price it's shockingly good.

FYI - I bought a Google Pixel 5 since this was originally posted. It's actually pretty good.

I got one like two weeks ago. Other than how small it is I don't really have any complaints. Really wish they'd done an XL version like they did with every other Pixel.

Only got rid of my 3XL because it started having all kinds of weird issues since Android 11 came out. Bluetooth especially had been having issues for like the last year where it would crash in cycles over and over. Was annoying, but it stopped working entirely like a month ago and I use it every day.

I thought about going to another brand, but I really like how Google doesn't load any extra bullshit on their phones like the other brands do, including all of Verizon's bullshit.

Are you getting 5g anywhere yet?

Verizon did a bunch of local advertising about how Richmond now has 5G. I looked up the map for it after I got my Pixel 5 and it's like a 10 square block area on the other side of town. :laughing:

Top Back Refresh