What's new

What kind of flooring is this?

Kyle

Formerly known as Kyle_T
Member Number
Loc
Fort Worth TEXAS USA
Trying to identify this flooring in our kitchen. Super hard surface, soaks up anything that drips on it, metal edging between squares. I hit it with a wire wheel on a grinder and it made zero effect.

pavers? Pour in place? The edges nest the metal trim. Stone? They are sitting not glued or stuck to slab below. Trying to find so I can replace a few broken ones. 70’s or 80’s vintage?

photo14198.jpg

photo14199.jpg

photo14200.jpg

photo14201.jpg

photo14202.jpg

I'll guess some sort of pour in place thing. The metals probably there to keep you from getting one huge slab that'll crack nonstop. I'd figure it'd stick to the subfloor though

How old is your house?

Looks like asbestos, just thick.

Yeah it’s not asbestos. Per googleing the process looks very much like terrazzo. Wonder how hard it will be to repost this. I’m assuming they make a mix and I level it then polish it and seal it?

Yeah it’s not asbestos. Per googleing the process looks very much like terrazzo. Wonder how hard it will be to repost this. I’m assuming they make a mix and I level it then polish it and seal it?

Yep and it will never match

2big bronco said:

I know with grout you can crush up and add the old to the new to help match it better. No idea if that's possible with his floor though.

I think I got it. Built like terrazzo but a thin layer of sand to keep the concrete from binding to the floor to help prevent cracking, possibly a mortar or thinset I have to figure that out and how to get it close. Then grind it smooth and probably seal it.

gotta find the single old Italian dude in the whole state (possibly Mexican depending on location), that can fix it. There was a guy in toronto years ago who had a massive cube van full of 5 gallon pails of size/colour sorted aggregate, who could flawlessly match any terrazzo floor.

Top Back Refresh