What's new

What kind of 4 wheeler for yard work?

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
I got about $2,500 in crypto that i’m bored watching/speculating/keeping up with. Been watching Craigslist looking to get a 4x4 4 wheeler for yard work. Sprayer, cart, roller, snow, drag’n trees/limbs type stuff. How big should I be watching for? 300? 400?

Anything in that price range to avoid?

None of the above, too damn fast, tires are destructive to the lawn in sharp turns. Find a golf cart.

None of the above, too damn fast, tires are destructive to the lawn in sharp turns. Find a golf cart.

Got one and its shit for anything requiring any strength. No way it’s pull a roller up the hill if it’s the slightest bit damp.

D361ACE0-49A8-46D0-B8B6-C66EFAC64F93.png

My dad bought a Honda Rancher for that type of shit, he's happy with it. His property is pretty fuckin steep and it has no trouble dragging a 3x5 trailer loaded with green firewood around. I think it was specifically the cheapest most bare bones Honda 4x4 he could buy.

I'm not familiar with any of the newer wheelers, but in that price range I'd stay away from "automatics". The clutch engagement can be pretty sudden/harsh and you might end up spinning the tires when you don't want to. My brother and I have identical Suzuki 500s other than his is an auto and riding them is a night and day difference.

I use a 2020 Polaris 800 Ranger
I get the mail at 50 mph :flipoff2:

If you have grass I find ATV's just tear it up.

How bout a small tractor?

If it's just for yard work, a set of turf tires can give good traction w/o excess damage.

Of course, you still need to not peg the thumb throttle (turf tires aren't fookin' magic).

The quad won't look nearly as gnarly . . . but then neither will the grass :laughing:

Honda Foremen 400 or 450s. I would prefer a 400. They sit low and are low geared torque monsters. Pretty much a tractor that you straddle. They are also one of the most reliable fourwheelers made. I think they were made from the mid-late 90s to early 2000s.

$400 ford ranger off the craigslists

ETA: I hear right now ain't the time to buy that kinda shit around here, people are still being nog rich with their trumpbux

Honda Foremen 400 or 450s. I would prefer a 400. They sit low and are low geared torque monsters. Pretty much a tractor that you straddle. They are also one of the most reliable fourwheelers made. I think they were made from the mid-late 90s to early 2000s.

This ive seen ranchers beat the living shit out of them and they just keep going. Stay away from polaris

I wrestled with this decision last year after driving a friend's Polaris Ranger around for a day. I came home thinking I needed one and starting looking around. Prices were higher than I expected even for used ones. Then I came to the realization that I should just use the 1979 Toyota I already owned that'd been sitting around for the last five years. It's bigger, wider and heavier than a side-by-side but I really think it's going to work out well for my needs. I'll mostly use it for running things between the shop and the dock, harvesting fallen trees for firewood and spraying the driveways for weeds. Going to make the deck into a dump bed, and I want to get a crane with an electric winch for loading/unloading heavy items. I have a propane kit for it and dual transfercases ready to go in.

I have 6.4 acres of very uneven terrain forest to use it on.

119000876_779019562888714_3421265967185648652_n.jpg

IMG_9472JPG.JPG

IMG_9471.JPG

I agree with the smaller Suzuki’s. Buddy has one from the 80s I think used in a dear camp and it just works. No telling how many times it has fallen off the trailer coming down the road.

i have a 2000s Kawasaki Prarie 300 that has been great. Literally has never not started. All time 4x4 which could be annoying to some. But has treated us very well. It is an auto tranny but has some sort of belt engagement. Which is fine until you submerge it. Then you have to let it dry before use. They made a 360 or 400 that was selectable.

I've got a 2004? 2006? Sportsman 700 Twin. I take it out in the woods all the time. Hauls gravel, tows a trailer, etc. If its at all muddy, it will tear the lawn up first pass. I use it mostly to drag fallen trees out of the woods the tractor can't reach. Does great. I was worried about the slipper clutch dealio that Polaris uses. But its been flawless.

Oh, brought it home for $2200.

I've got an Arctic Cat 500 that I really like... Probably around a 2000 model. Standard transmission with a low range and 4x4. Has a winch on it in front and I built a hitch receiver for the rear.

My vote is for a 4WD (selectable) 250-500 cc gear drive Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda.

I have 1997 Suzuki QuadRunner 250 4WD. It’s a mini tractor with a 3 speed sub transmission resulting in 15 forward speeds and 3 reverse speeds plus 2WD, 4WD and front diff lock. Can’t kill it. They are much smaller that the modern 700 plus cc quads (which I have those too) and more nimble and easier to go very slow if you want to.

if you want something with a CVT for whatever reason, the modern Suzuki and Yamaha utility quads have a wet clutch in front of the CVT, the other makes actually slip the belt all the time like an old snowmobile. The older Artic Cats used Suzuki drivetrains, so that could be another option, other than they weigh an extra hundred pounds.

The racks on the old utility quads are also much more useful than the modern sport utility monsters (which are petty fun, but not as good for actual work).

Wheelbarrow :flipoff2:

All I run is Sportsmans and Rangers and with a selectable rear locker they are much easier on the lawn. For your price range a rancher or quadrunner would be ideal.

5th or 6th vote on the Foreman/Rancher

If you can do a drive, shop around anywhere in the south. The sxs movement has completely taken over and you can get good 4 wheelers for dirt cheap.

I would find one that’s fuel injected if possible. My 2004 Honda still had a carb. About once a year, a float would stick and dump gas on my garage floor.

The used market is nuts right now. 3-4k for 15+ year old bikes. They are selling for what they cost new. Ive been looking for one for the wife. An old fourtrax would be great but the used market is priced 1k below new so it doesn't make sense. What happened to the small sport atv segment? Its either a 700cc bike or a 90cc kids toy.

Top Back Refresh