What's new

What is the proper way to consume music these days?

Provience

Kill!
Member Number
Loc
Gatesville, TX
I don't know how it works, I haven't bought a CD in probably a decade, but certainly there is music being put out. I don't readily stream things and don't want stuff that can only be streamed, because that is stupid.

how the heck do people access high or even decent quality music that isn't compressed to shit?

I've had Sirius for easily a decade and it was my go too. I just got Spotify premium a while back and I'll say straight up it's the shit. Nothing touches it.

Reactions: Add
Pandora $5 bucks a month, Are cassette tapes worth anything?

alright, so i got a digital media receiver in the RV the other day. I don't have a smart phone and am often using it where there is no cell signal.

how can i get decent to high quality music to take with me? is that something spotify can do? i don't have a particularly smart phone

There's a lot of different ways but the way that sounds like it would be easiest to you would be an iPod or similar device. For this you need an 'Aux' jack on your sound equipment. You download things to your iPod then plug that into your media system to play it. Basically your media system will just act like an amplifier or maybe combined amp/EQ.

Not a huge fan of Apple but frankly the iPod is genius and easy to use design that non-techy people easily master then love. It's probably the best thing Apple ever made.

Spotify works with an iPod, obviously Apple want you to use iTunes.

I dont use these systems, I borrow music from YouTube and use that on my phone. Then I can play that to an external bluetooth speaker if I want. I have discovered so much music that way, Youtube's suggestions are still very good for the non-modern non-pop music I listen to.

I would never have discovered The Who's 1970 Isle of Wight gig, or Sabbath's 1970 Paris gig without that. 1970 is about the most monster year for Pop performances IMO. Zeppelin's Royal Albert Hall, Hendrix at the Atlanta Pop Festival, it really goes on.

Last edited:
Spotify pro or whatever they call it allows 10Gig of download.

Best buy , purchase a jump drive or mp3 or old phone, fill it with $500 worth of your favorite music,.

Go vinyl, New turntables will let you fill your jump drive.

I use Amazon Prime. Got the app on my phone, download all the music included with Prime that I want, and run it off bluetooth to my radios. It's great for offroading, because there's no service where most of us ride.

Best buy , purchase a jump drive or mp3 or old phone, fill it with $500 worth of your favorite music,.

Go vinyl, New turntables will let you fill your jump drive.

vinyl seems pretty limited for who is putting what out on it, no?

i've had the same two dozen of so CD's on my phone for over a decade at this point. i'm just curious where the place to spend $500 to get the music comes from. my old 1T HDD died a while back, and my pile of CD's are getting scratched up due to abusive storage

There's a lot of different ways but the way that sounds like it would be easiest to you would be an iPod or similar device. For this you need an 'Aux' jack on your sound equipment. You download things to your iPod then plug that into your media system to play it. Basically your media system will just act like an amplifier or maybe combined amp/EQ.

Not a huge fan of Apple but frankly the iPod is genius and easy to use design that non-techy people easily master then love. It's probably the best thing Apple ever made.

Spotify works with an iPod, obviously Apple want you to use iTunes.

I dont use these systems, I borrow music from YouTube and use that on my phone. Then I can play that to an external bluetooth speaker if I want. I have discovered so much music that way, Youtube's suggestions are still very good for the non-modern non-pop music I listen to.

I would never have discovered The Who's 1970 Isle of Wight gig, or Sabbath's 1970 Paris gig without that. 1970 is about the most monster year for Pop performances IMO. Zeppelin's Royal Albert Hall, Hendrix at the Atlanta Pop Festival, it really goes on.

anything non i-related would be ideal. youtube works well for streaming, but like mentioned in the other thread, ripping music from youtube is kind of a shit show it seems

I use Amazon Prime. Got the app on my phone, download all the music included with Prime that I want, and run it off bluetooth to my radios. It's great for offroading, because there's no service where most of us ride.

didn't know you could download with prime music. already have that, so that will be the first thing. is the stuff decent quality?

This. I have a bluetooth receiver on my deck and in all three of my cars including the wheeler works great! I also like the amazon prime music app because it will play whatever music you toss on your device, I have MP3s from the Napster days that I still listen to on here. I also order MP3s from Amazon, you get the actual MP3 and can transfer it to whatever you want. Not like that gay shit from apple. Shit I still buy CDs from bands I like, its the xennial in me, you have the rush of opening up the cd and reading the liner notes during the first listen. The other cool thing about the amazon prime app is if there is a digital version of a cd you bought, ever, from their store you can download it for free onto whatever you want. I rarely ever stream music off the app, just download and play, my wife primarily streams, go figure.

didn't know you could download with prime music. already have that, so that will be the first thing. is the stuff decent quality?

I mean, I'm like pretty much deaf from too many shows with no ear plugs, too many gun shots with no ear plugs, and a ton of other things. So...it sounds good to me. :flipoff2:

71B-augGy1L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

yeah, but i'm growing more and more to really hate radio stations.

if anybody makes political music anymore, it sure doesn't get air time :laughing: and mix-a-lot went off the air a year or two ago, so the local morning show has turned into typical DJ trash

anything non i-related would be ideal. youtube works well for streaming, but like mentioned in the other thread, ripping music from youtube is kind of a shit show it seems

Everyone is going to give you all of the ways in this thread. I was offering the method used by old farts who hate tech.

I don't know why d/l from YT is a 'shitshow', I do it on an almost daily basis for videos I know are going to get scrubbed from the internet.

https://mp3-youtube.download/en/online-audio-converter

That one turns it into an mp3 for you.

Everyone is going to give you all of the ways in this thread. I was offering the method used by old farts who hate tech.

I don't know why d/l from YT is a 'shitshow', I do it on an almost daily basis for videos I know are going to get scrubbed from the internet.

https://mp3-youtube.download/en/online-audio-converter

That one turns it into an mp3 for you.

well hell, you were saying there was 5/5mil that works, which is both believable and likely, so without a spoon i wasn't going to put too much effort in to it.

i-stuff might work, but 15 or so years ago when i was halfway curious about their stuff is about when i found out they are a cash hording company that is highly locked down with their shit and doesn't support outside knowledge or even acquisitions. they were literally all of the evil failures of capitalism incarnate :laughing: Swore off them and haven't looked back. i'll make lots of half assumptions on stuff to not buy i-things, although i'm sure you are right and that it works well for what it is

I mean, I'm like pretty much deaf from too many shows with no ear plugs, too many gun shots with no ear plugs, and a ton of other things. So...it sounds good to me. :flipoff2:

I've always called it, "too much fun, not enough brains." Ymmv.

well hell, you were saying there was 5/5mil that works, which is both believable and likely, so without a spoon i wasn't going to put too much effort in to it.

i-stuff might work, but 15 or so years ago when i was halfway curious about their stuff is about when i found out they are a cash hording company that is highly locked down with their shit and doesn't support outside knowledge or even acquisitions. they were literally all of the evil failures of capitalism incarnate :laughing: Swore off them and haven't looked back. i'll make lots of half assumptions on stuff to not buy i-things, although i'm sure you are right and that it works well for what it is

https://www.amazon.com/MP3-Players-P...ode=1264866011

Well like I said, different devices. I was just saying apple but I dont use them, I've never had an iPod, just an off-brand.

You said you had a 'smartish' phone so I suggested another device. Just look for one that works with Spotify or whatever service you want to use. Check the reviews.

I've found that people who don't want to do a bunch of tech tend to do better with discreet devices. We grew up when every function you wanted had a different device. Now it's all one: the phone.

So you'll take one of these devices, and plug it into your computer with the supplied USB cable. It will then synch with your Spotify on your computer (because you made sure it would by reading the reviews), and put the songs on the device. Then you plug the device into your stereo with the supplied audio jack.

That way you don't have to screw with Bluetooth, which is sounds like you don't want to do. Also, the device is ONLY for music, and you just learn one thing.

Threads like these are basically people:

A) showing how much they know
B) arguing that their way is best

I am offering you the easiest, most foolproof way to do it which I observe non-tech people doing. You don't need an iAnything, I just suggested Apple b/c they make it easy.

Also, if you get one that you KNOW works with Spotify, and you pay for your Spotify or Amazon Prime music, the device will make a nice little menu for you with your artists and songs, and useful ways that you can arrange and mix them.

I am a pirate. I don't want it to interact with ANY of the 'spyware' services on any device, which is just a way for Hollywood to spy on me and send me nasty letters and threats. I am a 'power user' and former network engineer: I would rather spend 16 hours hunting down how to script my own configuration rather than use a Graphical User Interface, because the space between the GUI and what actually runs the computer is what causes professionals all the pain with computers and tech 🤣

I'm offering to you the easiest way based on what you said.

https://www.amazon.com/MP3-Players-P...ode=1264866011

Well like I said, different devices. I was just saying apple but I dont use them, I've never had an iPod, just an off-brand.

You said you had a 'smartish' phone so I suggested another device. Just look for one that works with Spotify or whatever service you want to use. Check the reviews.

I've found that people who don't want to do a bunch of tech tend to do better with discreet devices. We grew up when every function you wanted had a different device. Now it's all one: the phone.

So you'll take one of these devices, and plug it into your computer with the supplied USB cable. It will then synch with your Spotify on your computer (because you made sure it would by reading the reviews), and put the songs on the device. Then you plug the device into your stereo with the supplied audio jack.

That way you don't have to screw with Bluetooth, which is sounds like you don't want to do. Also, the device is ONLY for music, and you just learn one thing.

Threads like these are basically people:

A) showing how much they know
B) arguing that their way is best

I am offering you the easiest, most foolproof way to do it which I observe non-tech people doing. You don't need an iAnything, I just suggested Apple b/c they make it easy.

well, gotta say, i had no idea static MP3 players still existed. thanks for the link, that is pretty well what i need. i've never thought twice about what all the advertising on the reciever units of "works with pandora/iheartradio/spotify etc meant

by smartish phone, it does 4gLTE but i don't believe there are "apps" that work for it and don't care enough to figure it out. i use it as an MP3 player because it holds an external microSD card that i put music on and it works well for that. it has bluetooth on it and while that works with speakers, it doesn't seem to want to work with either of my car audio head units. I'd rather not add the bluetooth aspect anyways for sharing music between device and stereo though, because gumpy old man and it is yet another way to compress the files

Good info, I’ve been wanting to get some new music. The last stuff I got was from Limewire 7 yrs ago but I don’t want to risk fucking up the wife’s laptop.

Top Back Refresh