What's new

What is better then Paypal?

bradp674

Member Number
Loc
Camas, WA
So I have had Paypal for At least 5 years or more. Never had a problem until now. It's been hacked twice in the last month transferring money out of my checking account. I only use it for online purchases and a couple of recurring yearly subscriptions. I liked the ease of the one-click auto-fill option.

So is there a more secure and easy to use option, or is it better to just go back to manually adding my debit card on each purchase?

Enable two factor authentication. Using just passwords anymore is asking to get compromised.

For Paypal I have everything on completely different accounts and use a secondary checking that I just transfer money into when I need to use it.

Also following this with interest. I keep a credit card associated with PayPal, never gave them access/info for my checking account.

Look at your own PC's security... you're likely the one getting "hacked," not Paypal.

After the first time, I changed my password and enabled the three security questions. They still got in. For now, I'm shutting down my Paypal account. They have gotten 2grand from me. luckily my bank is great and has replaced it. I don't use it a whole lot but it is convenient at times and I'm not that tech-savvy, so I was seeing if there was anything newer and better out there.

You can use PayPal without having a PayPal account. At least that's what PayPal told me earlier this year (I have an account)...

I received payment on a large sum item but I questioned the recipients address, so I called them about my protection. He said, and I quote "there are things I'm not allowed to tell you about the purchase, but I can tell you the buyer does not have a PayPal acct" - he continued to say he just used a card, thru PayPal. Never knew you could do that...

After the first time, I changed my password and enabled the three security questions. They still got in. For now, I'm shutting down my Paypal account. They have gotten 2grand from me. luckily my bank is great and has replaced it. I don't use it a whole lot but it is convenient at times and I'm not that tech-savvy, so I was seeing if there was anything newer and better out there.

PayPal is a piece of shit, I am not making excuses for them. But like others have suggested, for ANY financial matter online, use two-factor authentication. It IS the best way right now. That means when you sign in, not only do you have to use a password, but you will be asked to provide a code that they text message you (as the most common example). Or email you (less common and less secure).

I've had PP for 20 years now (I had PP in December of 1999) and never had a problem with it.

I use a separate account to send PP payments to, then I Zelle it out of that account to my 'real' account.

I use defunct Credit Cards that I let expire for my PP payments (they have to have one for what I use it for). When I want to make a PP payment from my CC, I add that CC, then delete it :lmao:

I do the same thing with my utilities and a few other transactional things. I have a lot of expired CC numbers out there, and it's saved me from a mass hack once.

PayPal account has been active since 2002. Never an issue. Ever. I use it almost daily.

I have mine tied to a credit card that I use for online purchases. Have had a few small transfers out all less than 20 bucks. Call credit card and have them removed, been pretty easy.

I took a class on cybercrime many years ago. Something that stuck with me was the instructor saying to never use a debit card or tie a bank account into a on line purchase. I always use a American Express card on my PayPal account. If PayPal won't give me my money back, American Express will. I won't even use a debit card except at a bank ATM. I use cash or a credit card for everything.

I took a class on cybercrime many years ago. Something that stuck with me was the instructor saying to never use a debit card or tie a bank account into a on line purchase. I always use a American Express card on my PayPal account. If PayPal won't give me my money back, American Express will. I won't even use a debit card except at a bank ATM. I use cash or a credit card for everything.

I haven't had a debit card In years. They dont have rewards or cash back. I can get 1.5-10% elsewhere wasted money imo. This is assuming you can manage your credit, if you need cash write yourself a check, you can cash checks at most atms if you can't get to the bank during 'normal hours.

gotta link an account to sell on ebay
'swhat finally pushed me over the edge on selling shit through ebay. Fuck that noise

Paypal was no help at all but my credit union is great and had my money back in my account within an hour from when I talked to them.

I guess I'm old school and don't like using my credit card unless I have to.

Owned by paypal.

Far out man!
3sksxo.png

I absolutely
will not link any bank account to any of these apps, only credit card numbers, they want to hack that, I get my money back.

yup, I've been doing this for a long time

Which is owned by eBay.

they're kinda sorta separate now
but probably only in the sense that they are separate in liabilities, and the fact that each charges 10% commission on your ebay sales separately

[486 said:
;n132522]

they're kinda sorta separate now
but probably only in the sense that they are separate in liabilities, and the fact that each charges 10% commission on your ebay sales separately

That's what they'll tell you, afaik. They separated from being ONE company, but eBay did not SELL PayPal. They still own it. The fkrs at PayPal are quick to defend that new separate position, but it's a line of bs.

Never had a problem until now. It's been hacked twice in the last month transferring money out of my checking account.

Did you by chance fall for the stupid email scam tricking you to sign in? I get a lot of those. Usually starts with "we limited your account access bla,bla bla" and suggest you click the link and sign in. Sounds like your computer is hackered.

Pp is fukt!
i cancelled a cc!
replacement card logged in!
they hit the old card !
Cancelled both to cure the issue.
Fuck ebay!

Top Back Refresh