What's new

What is best way to clean up thread on large threaded items(2"+)?

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
Title kind of states it.

Longer: I've got a Rubicon Express "johnny" joint and the threaded side is dinged up to the point that the fitting doesn't start.

Is there a good way to clean up the thread without buying a bit f'n tap or just replacing the housing?

What thread is it I may have a tap? I got a crate of large sized tap

No, filing is typically done on OD threads. For an ID thread, take a smaller tap of the same pitch to clean the threads as you go around the ID

I'll take a look into this also. Paying a boat load of money for a 2" tap isn't overly bright when I could buy several joints for that price:lmao:

Does that work on an inside thread? Going to look it up.

Use a bolt of the right size/pitch as an impromptu tap. Grind a slot down the side if you expect to need clearance for junk or to provide a really soft "cutting" edge. Also grinding down the first few threads can help get it started.

Does that work on an inside thread? Going to look it up.

Yes it can, depends on how deep you need to go

thread_restoring.jpg

Yes it can, depends on how deep you need to go

Oooh. I've never seen ones with the ID file on the ends like that. I have several sets of just the square files without the round ends.

Damnit...now I gotta spend more money.

OP: Figure out what size it is. You'd be surprised what you can find in used/surplus for cheap on ebay. I regularly buy 1"+ NOS taps for ~$10 apiece for one-time use projects.

Top Back Refresh