What's new

What is an M4 Clone?

DR. SMASHER

Smashing things
Member Number
Loc
NJ
I'm slow here on t his one but what is an M4 clone, vs an m4, vs an ar15?

Reactions: Clb
The google has not been a good source, it just keeps sending me to how to build threads.

Functionally they are the same parts, technically an M4 uses a 14.5” barrel and is select fire, same for the M16, hence the “clone” reference. Some guys geek out on copying exact military rifles except for the full auto feature. Seems dumb to me when they are paying $800 for an antiquated handguard due to rarity, but whatever.

My “old faithful” has turned into basically a modernized M4 Mod 0 without trying to. I think the FBI rifles look cool but am not going to build another AR that’s functionally no different at this point. Gun stuff has been hard on the bank account since October. :flipoff2:

Man what a dead trendy thing the "black rifle" has become...
+1 on clones.
The 16" bbl restriction kills making some variants ( commando) and popping for the licenses (sp) aint much worth it.
The M.M. Uncle Sam hung on us :usa: aint nothing ya want ....
Carry on.

Last edited:
The M4 Clone or M4gery (M4 Forgery) started out as people who were copying the official M4 issue rifles - same barrel length and profile, handguard, stock, etc. Just not FA and lowers of random brands. As with most things over time it was watered down, people started calling just about any carbine AR an M4 clone. Now the trend is HK 416 clones, since you could get non-lower kits for a while. They are much more expensive to put together

It's like when the WWSD v1 came out and people were basically given a recipe of how to build one - Cav arms lower, specific barrel, HG, etc. But people started doing "WWSD" builds and being too cheap to get all the parts so they would use a couple and call it a WWSD. I came across one "WWSD" for sale that only had a pencil profile barrel, not even the correct brand and no other parts matched.

Most "M4 Clones" are better described as poverty ponies

Reactions: Clb
Most "M4 Clones" are better described as poverty ponies:lmao:

LIKE!
Gawd, remember when an actual colt
Selective fire on the open market was sub 1k?

I know the prk regrets them days!

Last edited:
M4 Clone aka M4gery.

My first AR was built like that. Spikes Tactical, 14.5" barrel with pinned flash hider, carbine gas system, 4 position stock, and conical handguard. It shot fine, but I sold it at a big profit during the Obama panic.

P1030113.JPG

So they're really just an AR15 with some extra military looking compnents?

A proper m4gery would be a flat top receiver with feed ramps milled into the receiver and proper M4 barrel extension. 14.5" barrel 1:7 twist, F marked front sight base and cutout for the M203 mount. 7" gas system. Bird cage flash hider (if you are not registering it as short barrel then the flash hider must be pinned in place to ensure proper 16" length, typically this means a none standard flash hider, need a longer one., lower, A2 pistol grip, milspec buffer top (has a different diameter) and the 4-position stock. I know most had the Knights Armament railed forearm. I dont know what other options on the rail.
Real M4 is safe, semi,3rd burst selector.

If you want something that looks like an M4, go for it.
If you want a reliable 16" carbine, get a midlength gas system, and forearms are so much more advanced now then 2000.

If you are going to go with a SBR and 7" gas system, 11-11.5 is pretty much perfect. Its a 200yrd carbine with a red dot.

Some people like nostalgia, but as AR said there are better options now than 20 years ago if you are after function. A 16" carbine with mlock hand guard is hard to beat for a functional rifle. 14.5" barrel need the flash hider pinned to be legal without a stamp and doesn't really gain anything over a 16" barrel . A AR15 pistol with 7"-11" barrel and a folding stock fits into a daypack if you want short :grinpimp:.

So they're really just an AR15 with some extra military looking compnents?

:lmao:

The only functional difference between any AR vs M is the 3rd hole to hold the auto sear in the trigger group. "Military looking" is subjective at best and a useless description.

There have been a stupid amount of variations and rarely is there a standard. Parts are substitute for availability, contracts can change vendors, etc.

Unless you're rounding out the perfect military collection there isn't much reason to build one.

1 build tip. There isn't a reason to use anything marked "commercial spec" unless it's free and usable. Get mil-spec parts and a full auto bcg for parts interchangeability. Mil-spec isn't a very high standard, but it's at least compatible and serviceable.

​​​​

Click image for larger version Name:	45FF8EBA-F04E-432F-B565-EBD85C54122E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	683.6 KB ID:	376310
Here’s my unintentional, “modernized” M4 Mod 0. Meets Aloha’s specs but I’m running a 14.5” mid length FN barrel, Midwest M-lok drop in handguard, and the A5 buffer system. No poverty parts, this thing was expensive enough when I first built it, and just got overhauled thanks to Biden’s agenda. :laughing:

Last edited:
Just throwin' this out there: No American civilians can "legally" possess an actual M4. All you're left with is a M4gery EVEN if you're fortunate enough to possess an M16.

Just throwin' this out there: No American civilians can "legally" possess an actual M4. All you're left with is a M4gery EVEN if you're fortunate enough to possess an M16.

you'll have to clarify. ive shot a civilian owned M4 FA. the pre-86 Colt receiver was (i believe) actually marked M4 and it had everything a "real" M4 would have.

The M4 wasn't "officially" issued until '94. Perhaps "yours" was a prototype or a test version such as an XM4 (XM177 variant) from as early as '82. The only rule that doesn't have an exception is the rule that says all rules have an exception.

If it's a G.I. M4 then we can't own it is all...

The M4 wasn't "officially" issued until '94. Perhaps "yours" was a prototype or a test version such as an XM4 (XM177 variant) from as early as '82. The only rule that doesn't have an exception is the rule that says all rules have an exception.

If it's a G.I. M4 then we can't own it is all...
Point taken. I'll have to go revisit if it was an RDIAS in that receiver

45FF8EBA-F04E-432F-B565-EBD85C54122E.jpeg
Here’s my unintentional, “modernized” M4 Mod 0. Meets Aloha’s specs but I’m running a 14.5” mid length FN barrel, Midwest M-lok drop in handguard, and the A5 buffer system. No poverty parts, this thing was expensive enough when I first built it, and just got overhauled thanks to Biden’s agenda. :laughing:
I dont recognize the flag. I thought puerto rico at first, but thats not it.
Edit: wow I really am a dumb ass - Lone Star and all
lol

I never went down the M4 route for myself. I do have an M16A2 and a Mk18. Both semi only.

This is a ‘90s era M4 clone. Bushmaster lower, Colt M4 upper with 14.5” barrel. KAC RIS, KAC light mount, can’t remember the light brand, but it was the company that eventually became Surefire, ARMS BUIS, ARMS Aimpoint mount, Aimpoint Comp M sight. Just pinned/welded a SilencerCo ASR flash hider so I can run my Omega 300, which works surprisingly well for a 30 cal can on 5.56.
I really need to upgrade the light to something modern.
88EABA02-C984-4582-B9A5-F8FFBCB6F5CA.jpeg

Top Back Refresh