What's new

what is a good gas tank sealer?

blakes

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Storm Mountain CO
my '96 LX450 has a tiny hole in the bottom of the gas tank. I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on a good sealer than I can apply to the inside of the tank while the tank is drained and still installed in the truck? It has an opening at the top of the tank to allow access to the fuel pump. I'd like to remove the fuel pump and slap some shit in there and hope it holds...

I ended up using some permatex stuff that you mead up in your hand and press it on there. Seems to be holding...

I ended up using some permatex stuff that you mead up in your hand and press it on there. Seems to be holding...

The permatex tank sealant is good shit. Did you apply it from the inside? If so, the repair will be permanent. I used that stuff on the outside of an old YJ tank I had that leaked. I didn't empty it, just mixed it up and stuffed it where the weep was. Sealed it up and held for over 2yrs until I sold the Jeep. Might still be holding today for all I know.

How big is the hole?

I have used Red Kote in a lot of old gas tanks to seal up pin hole leaks.

I've seen JB weld used and I've used Permatex Orange tube for gas tanks on a piece of yard equipment.

How big is the hole?

I have used Red Kote in a lot of old gas tanks to seal up pin hole leaks.

Red kote works good. Use it on rusted tractor tanks with pin holes.
don't know if it will work without removal. Prep and clean is key.

Someone needs to distribute this in the US - https://www.redwhiteandblue.com.au/

Amazing product, I've used it on the most fawked up motorbike tanks and they end up feeling like they are glass lined inside.
It'll repair a rust hole up to 3/8" diameter if you tape the outside up while it sets...

Top Back Refresh