What's new

What Did You Do To Your Ford Today?

Cir20

Member Number
The POS left me stranded this morning! The tensioner pulley decided to eat a bearing and in turn the serpentine belt......
I was able to have a friend come by and give me a ride to the auto parts store to pick up a new tensioner unit, there was a new serpentine belt in the truck, of course that MOFO wouldn't fit so I had to get a ride to another parts store to get a new belt. Luckily for me the lot where I pulled in lived a younger fellow who brought out his tool set and a step stool. He gave me a ride to the second store for the belt and helped get it on. I tossed him a fiddy, he was grateful and happened to be taking his girl and child to the great escape today. I was thankful for the assistance.
Was it an OBS power stroke? Ford recommends updating those with the 99-03 SD tensioner. https://cpaddict.com/content/7.3DualTensionerMod.pdf

Member Number
Loc
Laguna Hills, CA
My girlfriend went and got some new rims and tires for her Bronco project 33x12.5x15:

PXL_20210923_192204219.MP.jpg

PXL_20210923_193400242.MP.jpg

Right after I got done putting those on they dropped off my 10.5 sterling 3.73 e-locker for the 1-ton swap on my F150:

PXL_20210923_194649980.MP.jpg

Now I have both axles.. just need to get wheels, tires, brakes, WFO arms ...$$$

Those tiny little shoes for the emergency brake tripped me out for a bit till I realized that's what they were (never seen that setup before).

arse_sidewards

Masshole
Member Number
Loc
Worcester County
So over the past few months the Aerostar has been having a temp spike as the thermostat opens. Tuesday and Wednesday were the first time it peaked above the "normal". So I swapped in a new thermostat Wednesday evening after work. On the test drive and drive to work this morning new thermostat seemed to initially stick open and prevent the van from warming up but it seems to be working normal now. Whatever, I don't care as long as it doesn't stick closed.

I really need to spend a few hours putting a fucking bed crane in the van. I spent Tuesday evening unloading boat engines with a f-ing engine hoist in the dirt. It would have taken 10min if I could just back up to the drop area and swing them out.

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
Today I installed new rear calipers and pads, those friggin composite pistons suck azz, meh, got great brakes now :usa:
On a lighter note, the blower motor only works when it damn well feels like it so this morning I smacked it with a hammer and it came on, been operating fine all day. It's crazy humid and hot here so I wanted the AC :flipoff2:

Member Number
Loc
Laguna Hills, CA
Realized I'm 'tarded:

PXL_20210926_213657168.MP.jpg

Funny, I passed smog with the EGR completely inoperable. He even said my results were better than some modern cars.

Anyway, I'm not expecting any miracles but maybe once I have the right gasket and EGR is working it'll keep the truck just a tiny bit cooler with the smog timing and tune.

M92PV4U

Tach'dout
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
D.p. Ca.
Realized I'm 'tarded:

PXL_20210926_213657168.MP.jpg

Funny, I passed smog with the EGR completely inoperable. He even said my results were better than some modern cars.

Anyway, I'm not expecting any miracles but maybe once I have the right gasket and EGR is working it'll keep the truck just a tiny bit cooler with the smog timing and tune.
Does it have a vacuum leak with the intake rough like that?

Member Number
Loc
Laguna Hills, CA
I've only been able to pull a somewhat erratic 14-15hg once warmed up. Since you've pointed it out I'm thinking stuff the intake holes with paper towels and tape over it so I can hit the surface with plumber's cloth and carb cleaner.. have a better suggestion/tips though?

M92PV4U

Tach'dout
CAL4
Member Number
Loc
D.p. Ca.
I've only been able to pull a somewhat erratic 14-15hg once warmed up. Since you've pointed it out I'm thinking stuff the intake holes with paper towels and tape over it so I can hit the surface with plumber's cloth and carb cleaner.. have a better suggestion/tips though?
I've used a file on aluminum intakes.
But on cast iron exhaust manifolds I've used a sanding board 2½ x 16 or whatever it is re surface them so I could bolt them to the head without gaskets.
Like this https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-899...ocphy=9031814&hvtargid=pla-569984889011&psc=1

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
I discovered that I now have a decent oil leak somewhere near the front of the motor. My guess from what I have found on the interwebz is the oil cooler gasket. I am hoping to get it on a friends lift soon to check it out, otherwise I'll be drivin' her up on ramps and laying on the ground to look it over.

CDA 455 II

ANFAQUE2
Member Number
Loc
No Country For Old Men
played with the harmonic balancer today.

Found the timing markings/put a white dot on the front of said balancer under the '10* BTDC' mark.

Last edited:

arse_sidewards

Masshole
Member Number
Loc
Worcester County
Swapped thermostat to replace the one I swapped in last week that wasn't letting it fully warm up. Found a broken coolant temp sensor. Fixed that with one that was in stock. Maybe I'll take it for a drive later tonight to see where I fucked up and if it leaks.

I tried using one of those rubber gaskets that goes around the thermostat like you see on a Subaru EJ or LS so we'll see if that works out.

arse_sidewards

Masshole
Member Number
Loc
Worcester County
One of these? I tried one with high flow stat on l my little 466. Got tired of R&R of glue on type.
Look up the thermostat for an '09 Chevy with the 4.8 LS and imagine that rubber gasket on a normal 54mm thermostat. Have to be careful to align it properly since the manifold and thermostat housing aren't built for that style and it will leak if it's not centered.

And for the record, the new thermostat did a temp spike on warm up (and then runs at normal time) just like the first one. So I drilled a 3/16 hole in it and now the van doesn't warm up at all.

Member Number
Loc
Laguna Hills, CA
Man this shit does not want to stop teaching me lessons.

- Got the correct gasket for the EGR plate to intake so that this thing doesn't run lean under load with the 2150 smog carb. I'm really betting that's been the cause of all of my running hot issues.

- Looked over at the truck this evening and found a puddle of coolant. My newish aluminum radiator has a leak at the top where my custom fabbed fan mount allows the MK VIII shroud to touch the fins. I saw it when I did it, didn't think it would be a problem. Lesson learned. I'll be switching back to the mechanical fan and shroud since it always worked great in the past no matter what with the 351m that had a 4bbl carb and no EGR on it (now that I know this 400 I have set up to pass smog wasn't set up right by yours truly).

- A month ago I had a shop run new brake hard lines and install a proportioning valve I got from Bronco Graveyard.. that just started leaking. Apparently it's a common problem with these China made replacement valves. I ordered a Wilwood that I'll have a shop install cause I hate fucking with brake lines and I just don't want to spend the time on it right now. Needed the upgraded valve for the 1-ton swap that just keeps getting further and further away from me.

So, I need to get this EGR and carb back on the motor, and then see if I can use something at VatoZone to patch my radiator well enough that it won't make a mess for the shop I have install the proportioning valve (no one has a good replacement radiator in stock).

Annoyed but I think there's light at the end of the tunnel with this EGR revelation.

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
Well I found my oil leak! :mad3: Apparently a week ago when the tensioner pulley ate the bearing the pulley also chewed through the timing cover :flipoff:
Now I'm going to pull the tensioner, spray it down with brake clean and see if I can JB weld it enogh until which time I have to pull the covers and do the timing set.:beer:

arse_sidewards

Masshole
Member Number
Loc
Worcester County
Unless it already needs a timing set just pull the radiator or whatever else you need to do to get the access you need to weld it.

If it's an aluminum cover the Zena "no gas" brazing rods are pretty operator friendly IMO.

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
Got my LED driving lights wired up along with a set of strobes in the grill and added the Raptor led's :flipoff2:
No oil leak that I have seen since the JB weld :smokin:

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
I installed the new inner and outer rocker along with the cab corner on the drivers side today :)
I love my spot weld removal bit :smokin:
I just rivet the cab corner over what's left of the old one (I did remove all the rusty crusty pieces) I laid down a couple layers of bondo to cover the rivets. It's not a show truck :flipoff2:
I'll probably paint from the body line down with rubberized undercoating, I would like to paint red over it but not sure which undercoat product to use. I don't mind the black.
I'll take some pics tomorrow when I start the pass side.
ETA: pics
5I4BKZMl.jpg

SWqIgqEl.jpg

Last edited:

rockota

white collar hillbilly
Member Number
looked in garage... verified tires are flat-spotting from sitting.

VEX

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Sack Kali
Swapped the stock starter for an XDP high torque.

Top bolt was a bitch but doable.

Worlds difference in turn over. From sluggish to OMG.

Best $300 to up your starting game.

I redid all the connections with new plus 2 new batteries, but the starter made the difference by far.