What's new

WHAT DID YOU DO FOR YOUR FORD TODAY?

Took some pictures to stare at. I've got 1-3/4" round tube. Just one tube and hang the license plate off of it? I dunno, I've been thinking about this for weeks and this is all I can come up with :laughing:

Does it need another tube? Add some sheet metal somewhere? Throw a strap or chain style stirrup at the corners?

Free or $20 rear bumpers don't seem to exist.

20240325_184406.jpg

20240325_184416.jpg
I'm gonna do something very similar to that with 2x4x.188 rec tube on my bronco. But with a kind of trapezoid drop down thing to house the license plate and hide the hitch receiver. so something like this.
InkedaHR0cHM6Ly9pcmF0ZTR4NC5jb20vYXR0YWNobWVudHMvMjAyNDAzMjVfMTg0NDE2LWpwZy44MzM1OTkv_LI.jpg

I'm gonna do something very similar to that with 2x4x.188 rec tube on my bronco. But with a kind of trapezoid drop down thing to house the license plate and hide the hitch receiver. so something like this.

Why not build the receiver into the bumper?

EDIT: as in get rid of the factory receiver altogether in case that wasn't clear.

Why not build the receiver into the bumper?

EDIT: as in get rid of the factory receiver altogether in case that wasn't clear.
That wouldn't be too hard to pull off. The receiver I have on mine is just some random Reese(?) that I yoinked off of dad's 87 and modded a bit to account for bumper differences.

Integrating the receiver would basically gain me a free 2" of clearance on the bottom of the bumper though, so that's not a bad plan at all.

Basically top instead of bottom in what you're getting at?
graph(2).png
graph(1).png

That wouldn't be too hard to pull off. The receiver I have on mine is just some random Reese(?) that I yoinked off of dad's 87 and modded a bit to account for bumper differences.

Integrating the receiver would basically gain me a free 2" of clearance on the bottom of the bumper though, so that's not a bad plan at all.

Basically top instead of bottom in what you're getting at?
graph(2).png
graph(1).png

I am talking about welded into the actual bumper like we did on my father's old EB. The hitch pin installs behind the bumper for maximum departure angle.
view.jpg

For me, I went to buy a receiver tube and the whole mount was $10 more
Good deal if you got the whole receiver for under $30. Steel is expensive these days.

Axle shafts for the Bronco came yesterday, will be finishing up that third member install this weekend.

Used my lunch break to pull the rear axle and position the sterling on the 1-ton swap for my 78 F150. Tomorrow I’ll get it bolted up and throw the tires on finally. After that I have to install the shackle flip, brake lines, drivelines, and then Tesla brake booster.

IMG_4935.jpeg

IMG_4934.jpeg

Top Back Refresh