What's new

West's K5 build

WESTOF7

Fueled by hate and boric acid
Member Number
Loc
Frozen Wasteland
Picked up a 90/91 k5 to use for light wheeling and camping after a year without a rig.

Planning on keeping it relatively mild by my standards as I plan on driving it as a DD. I'll be using the tbi 350/700r4/np241 and swapping out the axles for tons. Maybe a 14 bolt front this time since 60s are a bitch to find where I'm at.

Fairly solid for a k5 in Canada looks like someone did the floors in it at some point and actually did a decent job.

Attachments

• IMG_20210519_171804.jpg
    IMG_20210519_171804.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 105
Been having a bitch of a time deciding what tires to run while I'm waiting on parts for the axles and sye.

I want 40-42" for winter/summer wheeling and daily driving.

Thinking maybe a set of tsl or tsl sx and sipe them. Hopefully it doesn't suck too bad on the ice.

Been having a bitch of a time deciding what tires to run while I'm waiting on parts for the axles and sye.

I want 40-42" for winter/summer wheeling and daily driving.

Thinking maybe a set of tsl or tsl sx and sipe them. Hopefully it doesn't suck too bad on the ice.
Why not nittos or pro comps? Maybe something with a little better on- road characteristics. There are so many other tires out there that are far better price/ performance/ wear/ and ride than interco can offer imo.

The k5 looks good from the one potato pic we can see it in:flipoff2:

More pics will come in time. Still haven't decided what tires to run :flipoff2: I like to build my trucks around a tire just how I've always done it. Collected almost all of the drivetrain parts except lockers. Keeping this at Approximately 400 horsepower until it's done then I may go full retard with a couple of turbos.

Basically what I want is the most aggressive tire Around 40-43" that will still handle winter and icy roads. Leaning hard towards bias.

Maybe the Mickey Thompson Baja pro x in a 40"+ size with a fuck ton of siping.

Don’t forget that tread isn’t everything. You can have all the sipes, edges, and fancy traction sidewall shit money can buy, but if the rubber itself gets too hard in the cold, your winter traction diminishes considerably.
My only Interco tires were an old used set of super swampers, so there’s no scientific process over here, but I could barely climb my mildly sloped driveway in 4hi when it was icy and cold without some wheelspin. I remember hating all my bfgs on ice, KM1s for sure, and K02s when it got really cold.

In for some more pictures too.

I loved my BFG km3's On ice in the last DD. But that was 35s a long bed 1 ton reg cab that had only enough lift to level it. Had 500+ horsepower. Big fan of high horsepower relatively low rigs but this blazer having a short wheel base and high height makes me nervous. I love taking my rig out when the roads are fucked after a blizzard. Will help pull people out if they want even carry liability waivers with me :lmao:

I'm picking up a warn 8274 winch that works but could use a rebuild. $700 Canadian isn't bad for covid prices :flipoff2:

I'm stoked about this haven't had a 8274 in like a decade.

Attachments

• Polish_20210722_221031556.jpg
    Polish_20210722_221031556.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 37
IMG_20210518_152515.jpg

Body isn't bad. I'm doing slip on rockers and welding pieces of scrap steel to make it whole :flipoff2:

I kinda want to put bushwacker cut outs on it so the cops don't fuck with me two much. This things going to be my driver when the wide is using our new SUV(Rarely since she works from home but that may change) 30 min commute one way.

Polish_20210726_201956982.jpg

Picked up a winch bumper for the 8274 off marketplace.(pic is of the roller jimmy the bumper was on.)

Looks like a warn. Will fab up a matching rear bumper with a full sized swing out tire carrier, hi lift jack mount and maybe a Jerry can.

Screenshot_20210918-212910.png

Found a kingpin dodge 60 for $500 locally :smokin::smokin::smokin:

Guess I'll go with the offset bushings for the springs?

Might just run spacers until I swap outers to make up for the narrower track width.

Dana 70ff vs 14bff? Leaning 14bff because of how cheap a Detroit locker is.

Top Back Refresh