What's new

West's C30 tow rig build 454/465/14bff

The plain ones are 7.5 wide and the chrome-skinned ones are 8". 8x6.5" pattern. Backspace is around 6". Im talking ~2005ish vintage.

Unless you defeat the taper seat for the lugnut, they remain lug centric.

Edit: you mean srw or drw? I'm talking srw still :homer:
DRW

I do like the old school Warn bumper better...
I've got one. Matches the flat bed perfectly.

The A bomb bumper section is kinda cool from diy4x4 though.

Nice. Do you have any pictures?

But a giant warn bumper hanging 2' off doesn't? :laughing:

The thing is going to see a lot of off road. I'm doing front/rear mounted 8274s
It's more classic

20210703_195927.jpg

2100 for steel wheels that have a sloppy pilot is pretty fucking rough $ swallow.

Ive paid -$200 a set for dodge wheels (x3)
Hub rings are $140

Ebay spacers with pilot lips are $100ish.

Somewhere around 05 gm switched to 4.60" pilot. Those wheels will have a loose bore on a 4.56" hub. Enough to matter? Idk, but right? No.

With the c&c 14bff you might not have enough room for the inner tire and leaf spring with that much wide tire.

Screenshot_20230222_190413_Chrome.jpg

Going to hit up the wrecking yards tomorrow and look for these.

I think total newb has it right and I'll run out of room on the C&C 14bff I do have a standard dually width Dana 70HD buried under the snow somewhere behind the shop.

Pretty sure that it's only open with 3:54 gears. So it'd be $$$ to regear and get a locker for.

I've only got detroit lockers for the 14bff anyway. Probably not the best for a tow rig and DD especially in winter on icy highways.

Going to measure some super duty axles while I'm at the wrecker as well. I can build wider/bigger fenders for the flatbed and put flares on the front.

I have a welded chevy 60 and 14bff with a detroit and 4:56 gears I'm going to install in this for now until I get the drw setup and suspension figured out.

A friend has a divorced np205 with crossmember. Picking that up on the weekend.

If I could buy a new set of Michelin XZL tires that would have been perfect.

Random pics from Google with 9r16s and 11r16s

Attachments

• thPZ8QQROA.jpg
    thPZ8QQROA.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0830.jpg
    IMG_0830.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 37
What about the china michelin clones ? did they already disappear off the market? I think they were being sold as 255\100R16 so same roughly as the 9.00R16's.
Place I have saved on Ebay has new 11.00R20 and 325\85R16 michelins along with lightly used 325's but be prepared for the prices...

What about the china michelin clones ? did they already disappear off the market? I think they were being sold as 255\100R16 so same roughly as the 9.00R16's.
Place I have saved on Ebay has new 11.00R20 and 325\85R16 michelins along with lightly used 325's but be prepared for the prices...
I just can't do China tires on something I'm going to be using this heavily

Apparently there's new production XZL tires in 255/100R16

I'd buy new from a dealer if they where somewhat available

Don't want surplus or "new" tires that are 10 years old.

Screenshot_20230516_224751_Messenger.jpg

total newb

Looks like I'm going with the dodge wheels. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kinda want to go Dana 80 in the rear since the c&c 14bff will probably be too narrow. I'll see when I mock it up.

I found a divorced Ford NP205 out of a 79

Just waiting on the sellers schedule to line up with mine to meet. It will work for now.

Have a srw chevy and dodge 60. Haven't been able to find a drw or anyone that wants to trade yet.

Screenshot_20230516_224751_Messenger.jpg

total newb

Looks like I'm going with the dodge wheels. Thanks for the inspiration.

Kinda want to go Dana 80 in the rear since the c&c 14bff will probably be too narrow. I'll see when I mock it up.
Well get a dodge one and it will save you a step.

Gm drw are the easiest to get.

Dodge ones will have 5/8 studs and they wont work with the wheels.

But! A drill bit will solve that and there are 5/8 studs that will fit 2nd gen drum d80 drw axle with zero mods. Pound n push.

Dodge ones will have 5/8 studs and they wont work with the wheels.

But! A drill bit will solve that and there are 5/8 studs that will fit 2nd gen drum d80 drw axle with zero mods. Pound n push.

Um what?

Dodge uses 9/16" studs on the Dana 80 dually. I have one.

The 5/8" studs are 93-older, and those diffs are D70.

Um what?

Dodge uses 9/16" studs on the Dana 80 dually. I have one.

The 5/8" studs are 93-older, and those diffs are D70.
Yes dodge d80 use 9/16 studs. Not what i was refering to at that point.

He has gm srw d60 wheel hubs and wants to get drw. Gm are 9/16 studs and easiest to get but "dodge ones have 5/8 studs"

Now if he gets a set of dodge drw hubs he locked into 5/8" studs because they have a bonkers over sized shank and no you cant get 9/16" to fit. But you can get 5/8" to fit the rear d80 with no issues.

total newb gotcha now :laughing:

If I didn't have any front dually hubs, and they're not turning up easy... I'd look at bolt-on spacers instead. That way you have wheel choice, and the common SRW hub to replace, should you destroy one.

On fb theres hundreds of guys wanting to trade there drw for srw.

I have all three version but i need both of my gm sets otherwise id offer up.

Gm are far and away the easiest to find.

I did some math at one point and any oe unit brg drw adapter leaves very very little material after bored out to fit a srw hub.

The site i posted for the hub rings has spacers also.

I did some math at one point and any oe unit brg drw adapter leaves very very little material after bored out to fit a srw hub.
Agreed. I meant aftermarket.

The OE ones will slide over an internal style D44 hub though.

I have some gm 60 drw hubs but they would probably cost a fortune to send to the wasteland

I used some of these to put h1's on my old wheeler truck 14bff.

I believe theyre from western hauler drw conversion kits.
Iirc these are rears and fronts were 1/2-1" shorter.

I got my set off a ttb crewcab f350

I drove them for about 5 years daily on the hiway.

If i were to use these with flat faced drw wheel i would have some rings machined and installed for a hub pilot.

Screenshot_20230521-004722_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20230521-004749_Facebook.jpg

I have some gm 60 drw hubs but they would probably cost a fortune to send to the wasteland
it was about $300 to send some drw hubs from MS to idaho a couple years ago. that was a heavy ass box

I could probably
Whats the plans for outfitting it?
As in whats going on the back? Miller trailblazer with some alumareels and a quincy gas compressor. Going to integrate some tool boxes as well. Small electric crane.

Going to put this on a sort of skid so I can pull everything off and use the truck as a flatbed or the fifth wheel etc on occasion.

Probably going to use some sort of locking pin but not sure of the exact style.

Being a simple redneck that grew up around farm equipment I would just use the bolt on cat-2 3 pt hitch pins on a skid style frame. You would have to make the same pattern mounting spots in the bed but after that it's just drop the skid with everything on it onto bed throw in 4 pins and your done. Could maybe force a body bushing up onto pins to give some cushion or drill out a hockey puck at each pin that is just a bit too small so it's forced on first time and doesn't come off pin later..

total newb Where's the best place to get the spacers and rings from?

I thought you had posted in here but maybe it got lost when the site messed up.

How much space do you have between your tires and springs?

I'm seeing guys running 37x12.50x17 with a 2" spacer on the stock 03-18 dodge steel drw. Going to try it on this pos and just make it work.

Last edited:
I have 1.5 spacers i got from ebay for a dodge 4.77 id inner and 4.77 od outer lip

The rings i got from uswheeladapter.com
Youll need the "custom order form but theyll know what you need.
4.56" id
4.77 od
For drw.
The rear ring will be about 1/2-3/4" deep.

Clean your wheel hubs very well so the ri gs fully seat.

Top Back Refresh