What's new

Well, I hope I did it right.

Lilyota

RIP 7/22/2023
Member Number
Loc
Bolivar MO
My boy left for school this morning.

He says he intends moving on from there.

He's the kid everybody calls when their shit breaks or is busted.

I hope I raised a decent little human.

My kids came home from Kindergarten. that's a tough little dude you have.

Good to hear! Congratulations.
Now remodel his room into something else so he can't move back in. :grinpimp:

Was actually gonna move the wifes office in there for now...Were getting ready to start a bit of a remodel anyway.

congrats!

if hes anything like you then youre fawked:flipoff2:

NIce!

What school is he off too at this time of the year?

NIce!

What school is he off too at this time of the year?

He's off to Wyotech...Full ride.

Hes damn smart and crazy talented with the glue gun.(but what parent doesn't say that about their kid)

He said he is gonna do the diesel mechanics and the fabrication classes. He also mentioned the business course before he left.

The wife and the daughter are taking it the hardest...But they'll be ok.

Understandable. My coworker cried for days when her daughter started 1st grade. My wife will be a wreck when kiddo gets into school.

Is he doing the full program, or the 3 month programs? A couple kids from our local college rock crawling team just transferred up there this week.

Congrats man!

some thoughts on his career path, or any young man, I've met a lot of these guys that have gone to UTI and wyotech, the ones who are successful mechanics, were worth a shit when they went in. I'm sure a lot of hiring managers are aware of this, maybe let him know that he needs to be able to stand on his own, not depend on his degree.

From what you've said, he's ahead of the game, and has skills.

Business side for sure, being a mechanic is hard on your body, I suggest he has a solid plan to be a shop manager or owner after 10 years on his tools. 20 is absolute, but he can accelerate his timeline.

I don't know the outlook on auto repair, but I'm thinking the opportunities will dry up with a slow economy. I overheard my old boss, a heavy equipment repair foreman with probably 40 years experience at that time, tell a young guy, a helper, who was on the fence between working in the truck shop (on road) or the earth moving equipment, he told him he'll always make more money on yellow iron. That was 15 years ago, and it still seems to be true.

I think the hot thing for the next 5-10 years is going to be gold mining. If he gets his school done, with an emphasis in electrical, hydraulic, diesel and welding, he can go work in Alaska or Elko Nevada, or overseas for 5 years, work 80 hour weeks, take 2 killer vacations a year, and probably pay cash for a house with a shop "back home" and enjoy the rest of his life. He could marry a teacher for health insurance and hang a shingle for auto repair and bill $75 as much or little as he wants

tell him to keep his record, his license, and credit clean, probably school attendance too if he's going into mining, or some type of camp job

Top Back Refresh