What's new

Welding Gloves

ChiScouter

Red Skull Member
Member Number
For the past several years I have been picking up Tillman 30 gloves at the LWS as that is what they have in a thinner glove. I won't be going there for a while and need new gloves so I did a bit of searching and Tillman has a number of different offerings in their thinner premium gloves. My issues are always tears and the seams coming apart but otherwise the 30's are ok. does anyone use any of their other premium gloves, they seem to have 4 styles?

I use these for TIG and they are an obnoxious color but they work great and are very flexible. Slightly thicker than some of the 24C glove but they work great, especailly for my air cooled torch

This is gonna sound dumb, but I typically use a thin Tillman Tig glove on my right hand (the one I hold my MiG gun in) and a thicker Tillman MIG glove on my left. Gives me better trigger feel on the gun hand and the thicker MiG glove on the left lasts quite a bit longer as it doesn’t get destroyed from the heat and sparks as quickly as the thinner tag glove does.

This is gonna sound dumb, but I typically use a thin Tillman Tig glove on my right hand (the one I hold my MiG gun in) and a thicker Tillman MIG glove on my left. Gives me better trigger feel on the gun hand and the thicker MiG glove on the left lasts quite a bit longer as it doesn’t get destroyed from the heat and sparks as quickly as the thinner tag glove does.
i do the same thing depending upon what im doing

tacking small hard to fit parts = thin glove on left hand no/thin glove right hand
small amount of welding/awkward position = mig/stick glove on left hand thin glove right hand
lots of welding = mig/stick gloves on both hands

turns out that McMaster sells Tillmans, got a pair of 24's today.Thinner and softer than the 30's. Will try them out next week.

Funny, I've been using the Miller MIG/TIG gloves for a while and absolutely love them...they're so flexible and easy on the hands and have held up well for my admittedly lighter duty work.

all i ever use is the cheap mitts from the lws, good driver gloves from the lws or other (i think they are 6-8$/pr,i buy by the dozen), and nitrile gloves. and thats it, for work from buckets in the quarry to ss tables in operating rooms.

i cant imagine spending $30 on a pair of gloves i use to weld. thats some union "i weld, dont grind shit" i did when i first started, but that faded fast.

with the driver gloves, i buy them a size to big, put them on and work them in for a bit then use a propane torch to fit them to my hands. make them all custom fit. from time to time the cut or something of the glove isn't right, dont feel right, straight in the trash. thats only one out of every 3-4 dozen.

instagram gloves dont make your welds any better.

if i were a bench welder at boeing, sure i'd buy the deerskin, goatskin, foreskin stuff:rainbow:. but otherwise, thats a hard no:flipoff2:

but really start fitting driver gloves to your hand with a propane torch and you'll never go back. dont burn yourself just a light heat. i see how they fit, start lightly on the back, and then work to the front with more.

Last edited:
I worked in a few Fab shops in my career and used the drivers gloves for 95% of welding. Stick, mig and tig. Only used thicker gloves for dual shield flux core and carbon arcing for longer periods(round seams and straight seams) and even then it was usually only on my left hand.
Now I use tig gloves for everything because I ran out of the last pack/dozen I had from my old job. I have a few different Tillman tig and another mig/tig gloves but I don’t use the others much

I worked in a few Fab shops in my career and used the drivers gloves for 95% of welding. Stick, mig and tig. Only used thicker gloves for dual shield flux core and carbon arcing for longer periods(round seams and straight seams) and even then it was usually only on my left hand.
Now I use tig gloves for everything because I ran out of the last pack/dozen I had from my old job. I have a few different Tillman tig and another mig/tig gloves but I don’t use the others much
basically the same at our shop with the drivers gloves
they work good for most of the tasks

It's all my fabricators at work have ever wanted for thin wall tig welding. Tillman 1432s.

I usually have 2 pairs going at home at a time: one newer pair for welding and one that used to be the welding pair until the stitching started to let out of the thumb for anything else.

The new mechanix brand Tig gloves are tits.

Got a free pair from a supplier and was surprised how much I liked them over the standard Tillman gloves..

The new mechanix brand Tig gloves are tits.

Got a free pair from a supplier and was surprised how much I liked them over the standard Tillman gloves..
Report back after you use them for a while. Mechanix brand stuff never seems to last long for me. Even their heavy duty fabricating gloves fall apart fast.

Report back after you use them for a while. Mechanix brand stuff never seems to last long for me. Even their heavy duty fabricating gloves fall apart fast.
I just consider gloves consumable. None of them hold up long term for TIG.

Top Back Refresh