What's new

Welder addiction

Benny

Broke Bastard
Member Number
Loc
North Idaho
I didn't need another welder, (already had 10) but I couldn't pass up a CL deal 2 miles from my house. And yesterday was my birthday, so I thought I deserved it :laughing:
IMG_20200725_190628492.jpg

I totally understand the addiction, and mean no offense at all, but couldn't you fit 10 inverter machines inside that and get the same performance out of each one? What's the draw to a massive brick like that? It has a foot of wasted space under it! I bet the duty cycle is 110% though.

Was century a top of the line brand back in the day? I ask only because I was desperate for some tig rod today and was on home depos site. Their cheap flux only $149 was a century,

I totally understand the addiction, and mean no offense at all, but couldn't you fit 10 inverter machines inside that and get the same performance out of each one? What's the draw to a massive brick like that? It has a foot of wasted space under it! I bet the duty cycle is 110% though.

Was century a top of the line brand back in the day? I ask only because I was desperate for some tig rod today and was on home depos site. Their cheap flux only $149 was a century,

Lincoln bought century 20 yrs ago, from what I read.

Yeah, it is an older (not that old) transformer, but it has spot and stitch settings for sheetm work (just like the DanMig behind it) and it will last forever.

However, I do want to buy an inverter machine for mobile jobs. My Hobart 175 isn't big, but being a transformer machine it is heavy.

Yeah, it is an older (not that old) transformer, but it has spot and stitch settings for sheetm work (just like the DanMig behind it) and it will last forever.

Oh I believe it. I'm mostly just jealous because I only have room for 3 welders.

The newer welders are alot smoother, but those old guys keep trucking for years. Old transformer welders run duel shield smoothly.

The newer welders are alot smoother, but those old guys keep trucking for years. Old transformer welders run duel shield smoothly.

I have only ran flux core with this machine so far, so I can't comment on how smooth it is. The smoothest welding machine I have ever used is my Miller 210:smokin:

I have only ran flux core with this machine so far, so I can't comment on how smooth it is. The smoothest welding machine I have ever used is my Miller 210:smokin:

Get some esab 70 ultra duel shield .45 wire and 75/25 gas. Burn that smokey shit Haha. If you weld every day you can tell the difference in welders. Iv used old, new, expensive and cheap whatever gets it.

Nope, my first mig was a century back in the 80’s. It did ok but was home owner cheap stuff.

Nope, my first mig was a century back in the 80’s. It did ok but was home owner cheap stuff.

From my research, the lower level (110v, cheaper 220v) machines weren't that great. But the more expensive machines were actually pretty good and apparently century makes welders for Mac, Matco and snapon

From my research, the lower level (110v, cheaper 220v) machines weren't that great. But the more expensive machines were actually pretty good and apparently century makes welders for Mac, Matco and snapon

Mine was through Matco

Had a Century MIG for many years, it was really surprising how good it was and how long it lasted. Sold it to a friend and he used it for a few years, not sure where that machine is now, but it is probably still welding just fine.

If you collect welders, do you have an Miller Aerowave?

I don't need one, but I want one.

Top Back Refresh