What's new

Weird tire wear

Mvanhelden

26 Wheeler
Member Number
Loc
Humboldt County
0358FA28-C14A-4441-BB03-4FC23F260443.jpeg
This is the last OG tire that came with the trailer. They all ended up wearing like this. They were/is a Continental brand. Once switching to Toyos and or Hankooks they wear even. Not that it matters really just curious. Trailer is a 16 tire 8-10 cozad.

Continental tires suck. I had more problems with the Continental tires that came factory on my service truck than any other tires I've ever owned. Things would wear all fucked up, tread blocks would randomly chunk out driving down the easiest of gravel roads and those things would not stay balanced for more than 5k miles at a time. We switched to Goodyear tires and I've had zero problems since.

Edit: My guess is it's caused by scrubbing over the lifetime of the tire. A trailer with wheels all the way across can't be easy on tires I'd imagine

Don't see how that could have happened to a single tire in a dualy (quad?) tire set on that axle assembly, caused by something related to the axle/trailer. Agree either it was ran flat for a while, or it's just a shitty defective tire.

Last edited:
I had a trailer tire wear like that on a dual axle trailer and it was aired up whole time, later it developed a bulge in tread and shop said the belts inside must have broke or not bonded correct during manufacture. I don't remember brand though, with me probably a cheapie chinisium brand.

If you have one, warranty should cover it. Eventually it will come apart and hopefully it doesn’t take anything else with it. That’s not how a normal inner tire scrubs unless your jackknifing a tractor to the point you are looking at the rear of the trailer

Don't see how that could have happened to a single tire in a dualy (quad?) tire set on that axle assembly, caused by something related to the axle/trailer. Agree either it was ran flat for a while, or it's just a shitty defective tire.

My guess would be the carcass being a piece of shit and putting uneven pressure on the tread.

X's whatever on continentals sucking balls.

loose bearing, or low on pressure can be part of the issue, but the biggest issue is the tires were not matched.

When you don't have the same casings and tread on a set of duals things like this happen. Because the tires are not the same diameter one tire is basically get drug along and that accelerates funny wear patterns.

Also continental is sensitive to pressure. They like being run at max pressure and wear funny with nothing less.

loose bearing, or low on pressure can be part of the issue, but the biggest issue is the tires were not matched.

When you don't have the same casings and tread on a set of duals things like this happen. Because the tires are not the same diameter one tire is basically get drug along and that accelerates funny wear patterns.

Also continental is sensitive to pressure. They like being run at max pressure and wear funny with nothing less.

Guess you missed the first 2 sentences he posted :homer::flipoff2:

when tires look like that on a car it's usually shocks/struts, tire bouncing along while you're driving, doubtless seen it on other cars, sometimes you can't even really feel it happening when you're driving

on something like that, no idea man
maybe the old tires were just bouncier and the new ones are better balanced or some shit so they don't bounce

What the hell do you haul? I run mine at 105-110psi on the dumptrucks. Any more and they just burn the centers out of the tires.

Just general freight. I've found the trade off of treadwear vs heat causing blowouts and having to replace tires is much better.

A tire running 120psi will bounce less thus creating less heat. Knock on wood I haven't lost a tire from a blowout in years. When its 106* and the pavement is even hotter, my tires sit at 135-140*. Ive seen tires at 95-105psi hitting 150-160*.

When I put new tires on the truck, its also getting a tire moniter system so I can watch temps/pressures in real time.

BE0DB107-6EB6-41AD-91AB-C7648057C08F.jpeg
Well I guess the Toyos do it too. But it’s only half of the tire, the other side looks even wear. So I guess I just don’t see it with good odds.

Same position?
Might be alignment, that one bogey fighting all the rest of them. Toe wear on a set of duals can be just on one tire of the two, and if it's a short little axle like that, might just be the one tire of the four...

Just general freight. I've found the trade off of treadwear vs heat causing blowouts and having to replace tires is much better.

A tire running 120psi will bounce less thus creating less heat. Knock on wood I haven't lost a tire from a blowout in years. When its 106* and the pavement is even hotter, my tires sit at 135-140*. Ive seen tires at 95-105psi hitting 150-160*.

When I put new tires on the truck, its also getting a tire moniter system so I can watch temps/pressures in real time.

I've noticed that people get away with a lot more tire abuse in cooler areas. Living in a hot area, trailer and tow rig tires were always at or very near max pressure. Dealing with blow outs sucks.

How do you check alignment on a single bogey? I agree that it can't be the tire at this point.

My “theory”

They just wear like that. It’s from the loaded scrubbing. They seem to get the most scrub dmg at the same few spots on the tire. Once it gets slightly smaller in one spot the wear takes off. It’s the whole the tire is spinnning at a constant speed but because one spot is wore down a bit the actual surface of the tire varies as it’s going down the road. Everytime the tire make a revolution it it sees a tiny braking force when it gets to the scrubbed area causing more wear in that spot making those big dishes.

Big dishes in the tire cause bounce which causes more bad areas to form around the perimeter.

This theory is extremely evident in my rubber tired return rollers. They have rubber tires every 4” across the return roller. The center of the belt is where all the material moves. So naturally that is where all the carry back is located. This carry back causes the center tires to wear a bit more than the outside tires.

Once they wear down enough the constant rpm of the roller causes the surface speed on the big tire ms equal that of the belt. The center tires surface speed is less than that of the conveyor belt. This skidding all day can wear them out in a few days.

I would think this theory would be more visible in you warm weather guys who keep the max air pressure in the tires.

Us cold weather guys can run the pressure to maximize the little tread life we get out of a set of drives on our dumps. I can’t get more than 60,000 miles on a set of drives. My auto truck can’t get more than 40,000 miles. Too much stop and turns for us.

I spend way too much time thinking about tires :homer:

Top Back Refresh