What's new

Weird Hole at Back of 5.3

LScout800

LS Powered Tractor
Member Number
Loc
CA
I am currently trying to get the 5.3 in my scout started. When I crank the motor oil was pouring out from above the back of the motor, so I looked back there. It appears to be coming from a gaping threaded hole next to the cam shaft position sensor. I looked online and found pictures of the thing that is supposed to be there. Can someone help me out with identifying it? It is that weird plastic thing to the left of the sensor.
61.jpg

On my motor it was missing, but I was able to find this picture on the internet.

Are you talking about the oil pressure sensor on the left ?

Are you talking about the oil pressure sensor on the left ?
If you are talking about the big plastic bit with the metal base directly to the left of the cam sensor then yes. When I did my standalone harness there was not a plug for any sensor there, and no codes are saying that I have a bad oil sensor. If I just put a bolt in the hole should I be ok?

It is the oil pressure sensor location yes , do you have one elsewhere ?

Last edited:
No! You can't just shove a bolt in there. That is the oil pressure sensor. Under it should be a metal screen/filter. If you block that passage in any way with some random bolt, bad things will happen.

That's the main oil galley for the cam and lifters.

Get the right sensor and screen from Napa even if your harness doesn't have a connector or use for it.

No! You can't just shove a bolt in there. That is the oil pressure sensor. Under it should be a metal screen/filter. If you block that passage in any way with some random bolt, bad things will happen.

Get the right sensor and screen from Napa even if your harness doesn't have a connector or use for it.
This!!!

This! My harness didn't have a connector either but you still need to have the sensor/screen. I bought an adapter to install my oil pressure sending unit for my gauge there though I would not recommend as drilling/tapping at the filter adapter is much easier and more accessible.

Amazon.com yeah you can just not any random bolt obviously

Just to expand on Leadfoot's comment. It can be plugged, no need to buy the sensor. Theoretically you actually could use a "random bolt" as long as you were mindful of the length so to not block the oil passage. However, a bolt might not have the proper clearance between the head and the thread to add a sealing washer. At 11 bucks and free shipping you're best off ordering the ICT Billet piece.

1645472225795.png

Forgot to update this. I went out to the store and put in the proper sensor the next day. It was late and I was tired, forgot an oil pressure sensor was actually a very important part for the healthy operation of a motor.

Top Back Refresh