What's new

Weight Vest / plate carrier

Poke

I’m condescending
Member Number
I need a weight vest to get in shape. I'll be mobile hunting our hills with probably 35lbs of gear plus heavy winter clothes next season. I also need to lose a few lbs right now. So I am thinking why not get a plate carrier and plates as I don't have one. Can you all recommend something tough enough to last and easy enough to walk/run in?

I need a weight vest to get in shape. I'll be mobile hunting our hills with probably 35lbs of gear plus heavy winter clothes next season. I also need to lose a few lbs right now. So I am thinking why not get a plate carrier and plates as I don't have one. Can you all recommend something tough enough to last and easy enough to walk/run in?

AR500armor.com has combo packs that come as plate carrier and plates, all for under 400 buck if you watch their sales. If you want serious plates, you go ceramic not AR500, but do you need that? most don't

AR500armor.com has combo packs that come as plate carrier and plates, all for under 400 buck if you watch their sales. If you want serious plates, you go ceramic not AR500, but do you need that? most don't

is the 2 months + wait?

I bought one of the Freeman plate carriers from them for a combination of protection as well as to have a weight vest (not at the same time). It did take the 8 weeks they stated at the time. It’s not great quality but for $100 including plates it was a good deal. I’m not taking it to Afghanistan on a deployment, I just wanted something to run with and other higher impact stuff that I can’t use my pack for. Mine has the smaller plates and weighs 13.5 lbs. The rating they carry is Level III which will stop .308. It’s technically not rated for 5.56 green tip penetrator, but they have tested them and stopped them consistently. The ceramic plates take you up to .30-06 armor piercing, which isn’t common at all and they are lighter which is detrimental for your purposes.

For getting into normal hunting shape though, the best thing to do is load up your backpack and go hike. I bought 3 of these $6 Walmart dry bags and 2 bags of 60 lb sand from Home Depot. The whole thing slides in there perfectly and keeps a good shape. I split one of them so I’ve got 20 lb, 40 lb, and 60 lb bags I can use. That and a jump rope (unweighted) will get you in good enough shape for what you’re planning to do.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-P...Clear/17017909

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-...0307/100350266

Last edited:
second the sand bags.

But I did just buy a Ferro Concepts V5 carrier from SKD, along with a ceramic plate. Took 2.5 weeks only cause of a hickup when ordering. Seems to be well made, haven't stuck the plate in yet but the carrier I plan on using (minus the plate) when riding dirt bike.

Last edited:
A plate carrier would be best. Backpack only weight is not the best option for your body. There are training vests you can get if you don’t want to fool with agmor

I'm also looking for a plate carrier. I thought about ordering from ar500 but I'd like to not wait too long to have the product in my hands.

A plate carrier would be best. Backpack only weight is not the best option for your body. There are training vests you can get if you don’t want to fool with agmor

I’d agree with you if the overall goal is to lose weight/ increase fitness. However if the goal is to do better while hunting with a backpack...

I’d agree with you if the overall goal is to lose weight/ increase fitness. However if the goal is to do better while hunting with a backpack...

Nah, even then. You train to strengthen. It’s no different than any other training. Just because you will be doing something bad for your body, doesn’t mean you train that same way

ooo. I have family off base. They are looking at surplus for me.

i picked up one from varestuleka after watching the guys at inrangetv use them

good quality and all but idk about the price

i feel like there are cheaper options with equal quality or at least a reasonable cost/quality ratio

get a Box brand weight training vest from Rogue. working out in a plate carrier SUCKS. SUCKS. especially running or pushups or pullups. Spend the little bit of money on a 45 lb BOX weight vest and dont go plate carrier tacticool. you can adjust the weight in 1.5 lb increments. and you'll save yourself about $300 on something you wont wear and will just sit in the corner until you go into a Big Igloo, which you probably never will.

Texas speaks the truth. Regular plate carriers suck to work out in. I use an old kevlar soft armor set with 3/8" plates cut to fit front and rear. It wraps around a lot better than a plate carrier and holds the plates in place.

Top Back Refresh