What's new

Weight distribution hitch question

rb_shoe

Member Number
Hello, when pulling a 28’ travel trailer (#8800) with an International 4300 will I still need my WDH for anti-sway? A few phone calls and google provided nothing

if you load the trailer right I would think not, But since your asking the question. Do you know your weights?
Do you have a WD hitch to run?

5780_500.jpg

I've gone thru all my trailers and painted lines with weights for different combinations of my junk.

if you load the trailer right I would think not, But since your asking the question. Do you know your weights?

5780_500.jpg

I've gone thru all my trailers and painted lines with weights for different combinations of my junk.
I do have a WDH I used with my Raptor. Never used a tongue weight before. I just pretty much went with common sense and never had a sway problem except in high winds. I may try my first trip with out it. Thanks for your info sir!

5780_500.jpg

If the International has air suspension it should be possible to use that to tell how much weight is on the rear axle.

Aaron Z

If the International has air suspension it should be possible to use that to tell how much weight is on the rear axle.

Aaron Z
I did not know that, But after buying the scale It has become a pretty useful tool. I use it a lot more than I thought

"Most WD hitches aren't for sway control. If you need sway control buy a sway controller."

Where did you get that idea? There are (that I know of) 3 main types of WDH out there, but in recent years the lines have blurred between styles.

1) round bars with chain tension units to distribute weight. These provide no sway control and are the cheapest.

1.1) you can add a shock absorber or friction unit to the side of these similar to the Amazon link provided, but most recommend disconnecting it for maneuvering, backing in to spots, etc. The shock absorbers dont typically have much travel. Not sure about the friction style units.

2) round bars with sway control, the bars sit on a "ledge" that attaches to the trailer nose and push down. The downward force levels the trailer and the friction provides sway control. Unfortunately the bent bars hang way down and reduce ground clearance, but they do give some more "spring" to the assembly.

3) similar to 2 but uses square bars with kingpins. The square bars are straight and do not impact ground clearance, and can help level much heavier tongue loads. They are much stiffer than the round bars style and you will feel it when on uneven ground. This can be both good and bad, but unless you are trying to jack knife the trailer up a hill where it has to twist in relation to the truck, you normally don't really notice it too much.

Top Back Refresh