Weatherproof Connector Options?

DT is pretty well rounded IMO
DTM is not really that much smaller

All the drawings are here List of Connector Housings Models & Products

here is a 2 pin DT

1660135308085.png

And a 2 pin DTM
1660135443933.png

thanks. I went the lazy route for wiring the buggy and used 12 or 16 gauge for everything but the Holly harness and 10ga for radiator fans.

I have a Tool Aid 18880 for 14-18ga wires, and when I wires the last buggy it crimped fine. Looks like I’ll need the 12ga version, too.

I guess one plan could be DTM for all 16ga connections and DT for the 12ga or mixed.

You need DTP for 12 awg.
You already need a green band contact for 14awg in a DT sooo

DT is pretty well rounded IMO
DTM is not really that much smaller

I disagree, but hey, everyone has a different idea I guess.

You need DTP for 12 awg.
You already need a green band contact for 14awg in a DT sooo

I disagree, but hey, everyone has a different idea I guess.
My feeling on this comes from trying to use DTM on my KTM, while they are smaller than DT not enough to fit well in the small confines of a dirt bike.
If you compare 12 pin to 12 pin there might be a huge difference but generally connecters are 3-5 pin.

I'm comparing everything I could have put my hands on, including 30+ pin connectors.

Once again, YMMV, but from my experience, there is a significant difference.

If I think about it when I get to this next job I'll take some comparison pictures of what I have on hand.

The Deutsch and JReady crimpers look just like my DMC AF8 crimper. I have the turret and the depth setting attachments, but the crimp tool itself looks identical. Is there a difference, or are these all made in one factory with different brands marked on them?
I found the answer to my question…

More info:

COUNTERFEIT WARNING

NOTICE TO CUSTOMERS ABOUT OTHER COMPANIES COUNTERFEITING DMC®PRODUCTS

Daniels Manufacturing Corporation® (DMC®) has become aware of counterfeit Mil-Spec crimp tools that are being advertised by non-qualified and unauthorized sources. This situation is potentially hazardous for the entire aerospace community, DOD and maintainers of electrical wiring interconnect systems.

Many of these counterfeits bear the M22520 & AS81969 Mil-Spec number, DMC logo, DMC part numbers, DMC CAGE code (11851) and appear almost identical to genuine DMC qualified products as listed on the Qualified Products Database (QPD) and Qualified Products List (QPL).

These products are COUNTERFEIT and not approved or qualified under MIL DTL 22520 or MIL DTL 81969 and other specifications that apply. GIDEP SAFE-ALERT F9Y-S-17-01A and F9Y-S-17-02A have been issued to alert the industry of the fraudulent misrepresentations.

KNOWN COUNTERFEITERS

• Jonard Tools
  • JRready (Jiaxing Jingrui Instrument & Equipment Co., Ltd.)
  • JRD Tools
  • IWISS Tools Co., Ltd. (ZHEJIANG IWISS ELECTRIC CO.,LTD)
  • Precise Tool (Cobranded tool with JR Ready)

DMC in no way manufactures or supplies any piece parts and/or tool assemblies to the above mentioned counterfeit tooling suppliers. Any statement to the contrary should be considered expressly false.

HOW TO AVOID COUNTERFEITS

• Avoid purchasing DMC products from unauthorized sources
  • Avoid buying product on marketplaces such as Walmart.com, Alibaba and eBay.
  • Avoid purchasing items marked used or refurbished. If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is
  • Contact us if you have a question about purchasing one of our products.

DMC’s technical support and warranty are provided solely for authentic DMC products. We cannot reimburse you for repair or replace counterfeit products, but are actively pursuing action against all counterfeiters. Any information about counterfeit product that you can provide will help our efforts. If you suspect that you have purchased a counterfeit item, please report it to us by contacting John Santana at 407-855-6161or [email protected]

What should you do if you have counterfeit product? Please alert Kevin Rickard, [email protected] at NAVAIR the Qualifying Activity (QA) for M22520 and M81969 tools.

For more information, please download our GIDEP-Alert notice here.

Just like a snap-on ratchet vs a harbor freight one.

You just need to hold it in your hands to understand the difference.

That said, I've done plenty of stuff with HF tools.

Just like a snap-on ratchet vs a harbor freight one.

You just need to hold it in your hands to understand the difference.

That said, I've done plenty of stuff with HF tools.
I made a battery terminal crimper by grinding on a HF bolt cutters, but that’s working on my own stuff.

Thanks, just waiting on some purple stripe DTM #20 contacts to show up and I can get to wiring up the tail lights on a DTM.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these JRready kits: Deutsch Crimping Tool

Just a follow-up...

I did buy the JRready setup last year and it has been working well for me.

I'll note that a friend recently got a Weather Pack setup and was really impressed with the Deutsch DT setup.

I went with the solid contacts, which are more expensive and require a more expensive crimp tool, but that's a lot easier than the stamped and formed contacts to assemble. The crimper is pretty idiot-proof as far as getting everything lined up and solidly crimped. He's had issues with trying to line everything up to get the WP connector, wire, and seal all lined up and crimped securely every time.

Comparing them, I do like that you can use multiple wire gauges in the same connector by just changing the connectors and seals on the Weather Pack - for Deutsch you have to use different connectors (DTM for 16-24GA, DT for 14-18GA, DTP for 10-14, DTHD for 6-14GA). The downside to that flexibility is that the Weather Pack connectors are much bulkier for smaller situations - the connector is the same size whether you're doing 20GA or 12GA, just the seal and connector change. It can also be difficult to tell the connectors apart unless you really look at them - the number and size of the tangs that grip the wire are the only difference.

Today my friend needed some help, so I ended up doing a few of the WP terminals... Fussy... I think that is my best comparison to the DT/DTP stuff.

The end result is ok, but getting there is... fussy... Well, and the end result is bulky.

Just another update. Last week I had to do some Weather Pack work on a project (owner's requirement) and once again I'm reminded of how easy the Deutsch stuff is in comparison.

The first is just size. Top is a six pin Weather Pack, connectors, and seals versus the Deutsch on the bottom with six pin DT, pins, and wedges. The finished Weather Pack is about three times the size of the Deutsch setup.
IMG_6076.JPG

The next issue is assembly. As I said before, it's fussy. Where you just stick the solid Deutsch connector into the tool, insert the wire, and squeeze, the Weather Pack tool is stepped and you have to line up the tool so that it crimps around the seal and crimps around the wire. The arrows in the first photo are trying to point at the two steps. This isn't too bad at the bench, but doing it on a vehicle can be an absolute pain. Here I was trying to install connectors behind the shock tower and it was hard to see well enough up under the fender to make sure everything was lined up properly. The Deutsch tool makes the process much easier to do "blind" and still get good results.
IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6078.JPG

Then, getting the crimped connector and seal properly seated into the body is clumsy. You push it into the back of the body, but it doesn't always latch. This is also when you find out if your crimp was good enough or if the wire pulls loose from the connector. The Deutsch with the wedges is much more straightforward.

Finally, actually using the connectors can be a pain. The crimped connectors move around in the body, so it can be difficult to get everything lined up so that the connectors go together. With the long six position plugs, I then actually had to use pliers to squeeze the two halves together. The Deutsch connectors line up much more easily and snap together - and apart - much easier. Granted, most of the time you're not putting these together and taking them apart often, but if you are I'd definitely recommend the Deutsch setup. Unpinning the connectors is also much easier with the Deutsch setup. For this headlight wiring, the wires would have to be unpinned to remove the headlight shell as everything feeds through a hollow threaded bolt (top of last photo). I screwed up and mislocated two wires and had to unpin them - resulting in having to recrimp one when I messed it up.

The Deutsch connectors are more expensive - particularly when you use the solid pins, but I feel it is worth it over the struggle I had with the Weather Packs if you're doing any amount of them.

I agree with the alignment hassle of WP and bulkyness absolutely. Been thinking of switching to DT myself for my LJ build. But my OCD may trigger since my power wagon and CJ are WP on anything I've redone or added in the past few years.

I especially like the solid pin option too

It's not even a discussion for me. WP is just to fix existing shit that has to be WP, If I can it gets cut off and replaced with a DT connector everytime.

Now that the chicom DT connectors are readily available there is no need to fuck with WP anymore for the home gamer. I cut them off harnesses at work so I rarely have to buy anything, but even so I don't hesitate to buy what I need.

I have a thought to put some misc connector cuts in a flat rate box and sell them for the price of shipping to help you guys out.
Think there is any interest?

I'd be in too, great way to start my DT game! Thanks for the thought of that idea

I just did a Bronco with the China DT connectors, probably spent $600 including the crimper, lost track after awhile and reordering 3 or more times. Lot less than I paid for a Deutsch set I have.

Lots of connection due to trying to make it easy to disassemble and reassemble for paint ,plus lots of add-ons,lights, winch controller,EFI ect..

Crimper is good except for the loose handle pads , looked like more crimp area on the barrel's vs my Deutsch crimper.

Looking at picking up a Deutsch kit get to start replacing connectors on the boat as I go. I have a set of Daniels AF8 and AFM8 crimpers. What positioner are you guys using for them?

Looking at picking up a Deutsch kit get to start replacing connectors on the boat as I go. I have a set of Daniels AF8 and AFM8 crimpers. What positioner are you guys using for them?
TH1A for the AF8 and K1S for the AFM8

It's not even a discussion for me. WP is just to fix existing shit that has to be WP, If I can it gets cut off and replaced with a DT connector everytime.

Now that the chicom DT connectors are readily available there is no need to fuck with WP anymore for the home gamer. I cut them off harnesses at work so I rarely have to buy anything, but even so I don't hesitate to buy what I need.

I have a thought to put some misc connector cuts in a flat rate box and sell them for the price of shipping to help you guys out.
Think there is any interest?

I'd definitely take a box! I'm at a volvo dealer and the connectors are a janky POS:homer:

I'd definitely take a box! I'm at a volvo dealer and the connectors are a janky POS:homer:
I've been eye balling some machine rebuilds they have going on in the shop.
A lot of the new machines have switched to Tyco connectors and even though they use the same pins/sockets they aren't really the same.

I get to do some rewiring on the buggy over the winter, and want to add more connectors to make it easier to install & remove sections of wiring.

Question I have is if anybody has run fans through Deutsch DTP connectors? They claim 25amp continuous rating. Current wiring for my radiator fans is 10 gauge wires behind 40 amp fuses to handle in-rush at startup. The fans claim 24.8 amp rating. Concern is that doesn't leave a lot of overhead.

Looks like DTP connectors can use solid contacts for 12-14 AWG, or a stamped for 10AWG.

Is there a reasonably cost tool for stamped 10AWG connectors? The tool I keep findng (DTT-12-01) is $750, and I need to use it just a couple of times. I'm wondering if anybody has used a metripak style tool on this? I have a tool aid ratcheting crimper with a variety of dies that can do metripak and other stamped pins.

Fans in question:

I get to do some rewiring on the buggy over the winter, and want to add more connectors to make it easier to install & remove sections of wiring.

Question I have is if anybody has run fans through Deutsch DTP connectors? They claim 25amp continuous rating. Current wiring for my radiator fans is 10 gauge wires behind 40 amp fuses to handle in-rush at startup. The fans claim 24.8 amp rating. Concern is that doesn't leave a lot of overhead.

Looks like DTP connectors can use solid contacts for 12-14 AWG, or a stamped for 10AWG.

Is there a reasonably cost tool for stamped 10AWG connectors? The tool I keep findng (DTT-12-01) is $750, and I need to use it just a couple of times. I'm wondering if anybody has used a metripak style tool on this? I have a tool aid ratcheting crimper with a variety of dies that can do metripak and other stamped pins.

Fans in question:

I highly suggest DTP connectors, they're great and the rating is pretty conservative. You'll be fine for these fans.

You can use your ratcheting crimpers for DTP stamped contacts. Just do some pull testing on some spare contacts in order to get a satisfactory result.

If you want to look into bigger connectors, the Ducon 6.3 are rated at 45+ amp : https://www.prowireusa.com/p-3268-ducon-2-way-kit-10-ga.html

As far as wire gauge, 10AWG is on the safe side but depending on run length and wire quality, you can't go wrong with a little of overkill. I would not use anything smaller than 12AWG for these anyway.

I have to deal with DTP all the time and for my current situation it sucks...
I don't have a capable radial crimper for the solid contacts.

So I currently avoid them but I don't have anything better to use.
For a fan I wouldn't be scared to use a XT60

You most likely don't need 10Awg wire for the fans. Almost everyone oversizes the wire size from what they need.

Likely true. I did some comparisons of what factory runs and I generally am running heavier AWG.

Factory:
starter relay 3mm 12awg (what I run)
fuel pump 1mm 18awg (i have 12awg right now)

and given claimed 25amp constant draw of fans, I could likely get away with 12 or 14awg for the length I'm running.

I need to review my circuits and do further comparisons. I'd like to properly size connectors.

Top Back Refresh