What's new

Weatherproof Connector Options?

PAToyota

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
South Central Pennsylvania, USA
So, things have expanded from the Weather-Pack connectors since the last time I looked into things - Deutsch, Weather-tite, Metri-pack, Delphi-GT, Deutsch-DT, Superseal... Well, you get the idea...

I'm looking to do some wiring projects and want to get the connectors and the tools to be able to do things right.

Any advice on choosing a style of connector to run with?

Seems like a lot of different people are making "Weather-Pack" connectors. I'm guessing the patent ran out (probably explains all the other ones too - to continue a patent)? But are the different brands all interchangeable?

Weatherpak sucks because it is bulky as hell. I still have parts for these.

I'm running Metri-pak since a lot of the plugs on my LS engines are that style. They also make a killer "hi density" bulkhead setup.

Link ?

I'm running a Deutch HD30 in mine.

I'll see if I can find the part number. I took about 40 minutes yesterday trying to find pictures/etc of it. It is a three part Delphi item:
bulkhead2.jpg

I've got a different version of the center part I've got a pile of. I had to go through Mouser, Del City, and ebay to find them.

My problem with the Deutsch was the very expensive tool.

Gotcha. Not enough pins for my intent. I'd rather use the Deutch HD30 style :

image_513a7506-b9fb-498d-aecd-0256ff7f2db7_1200x1200.jpg?v=1564250997.jpg

For the contacts requiring an expensive crimper, I'm assuming you are talking about the solid version, like so :

DT-16-Solid-0460-215-16141.png

Just know they also make some stamped contacts that require a normal $20 crimper and that does the trick just fine in a trail ride application :

1062-16-0122_1_1200__25696.1609285888.jpg?c=2.jpg

I can't upload the pdf I found for the attachment. The PDF I tried to upload is named METjunction-520672.pdf

I believe the one you see is 30 cavities. I've got one on each side of my firewall. If I recall, I am ~$30 into each assembly minus the pins.

They usually aren't interchangeable and it would make sense to only use 1 style around the whole rig.

I meant that quite a few manufacturers now have "Weather Pack" connectors - in addition to all the other varieties. I wasn't sure if an "Acme Weather Pack" was the same as a "Zeta Weather Pack" setup.

Can't tell you for sure. I buy my weather pack connectors from Jegs or Amazon when needed and have had pretty good luck when mix-matchin suppliers.

But I try to avoid them if possible.

What make connector do they use on Chrysler products? I need connectors for a 2006 Jeep and a 2016 ram

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these JRready kits: https://www.jrdtools.com/collections/deutsch-crimping-tool

Amazon has a number of options that include a crimping tool and a starter assortment of the pins, plugs, receptacles, and such. The JRready website currently has discounts, but it ships directly from China. I'm going to go through Amazon just to make it easier on myself if there are any issues and I have to return it.

Used these on my boat wiring.

20210320_154938.jpg

I used to use Weatherpack connectors and have never had a problem with them. My only complaints are that they are extremely bulky for the number of circuits they hold and I'm not a fan of the latch style. I hate having to "pry up" on something and then pull back. I've since switched to Deutsch DT/Amphenol AT series connectors for all but high current stuff. Keep in mind the smaller size connectors typically have lower current ratings. Not much of an issue these days as most automotive wiring is low current and/or signal wires that don't need high amperage.

I'm not sure of the relationship between Deutsch and Amphenol on the DT/AT series connectors, but they are interchangeable. In fact, most of my stuff is Amphenol, but I had to buy Deutsch when I wanted their bussed terminals for circuit splitting. I actually found that the molding quality on the Amp AT connectors appeared to be higher quality from a finish standpoint. There are individual bulkhead connectors available for the AT series as well as multiple keyed options, which I like.

Honestly, for what I see myself doing in the future, I'm starting to think that even the AT/DT series connects are themselves too large and may consider dabbling with the ATM/DTM series. I only use the open barrel stamped terminals because they can be crimped with more common crimpers and I haven't felt the need to move to the machined pins. Were I to buy supplies all over again, I would probably go with the machined terminals and the fancy crimper for speed. The open barrel terminals are slower to setup and crimp.

Last edited:
where do you guys buy Deutsch connectors i will be going that route on my new truck instead of weatherpack like i used in the past since i would like smaller connectors.

Joe at prowire is very cool and definitely knows what he's talking about.

I used to use Weatherpack connectors and have never had a problem with them. My only complaints are that they are extremely bulky for the number of circuits they hold and I'm not a fan of the latch style. I hate having to "pry up" on something and then pull back. I've since switched to Deutsch DT/Amphenol AT series connectors for all but high current stuff. Keep in mind the smaller size connectors typically have lower current ratings. Not much of an issue these days as most automotive wiring is low current and/or signal wires that don't need high amperage.

I'm not sure of the relationship between Deutsch and Amphenol on the DT/AT series connectors, but they are interchangeable. In fact, most of my stuff is Amphenol, but I had to buy Deutsch when I wanted their bussed terminals for circuit splitting. I actually found that the molding quality on the Amp AT connectors appeared to be higher quality from a finish standpoint. There are individual bulkhead connectors available for the AT series as well as multiple keyed options, which I like.

Honestly, for what I see myself doing in the future, I'm starting to think that even the AT/DT series connects are themselves too large and may consider dabbling with the ATM/DTM series. I only use the open barrel stamped terminals because they can be crimped with more common crimpers and I haven't felt the need to move to the machined pins. Were I to buy supplies all over again, I would probably go with the machined terminals and the fancy crimper for speed. The open barrel terminals are slower to setup and crimp.

I think the Deutsch DT patent expired and allowed others to build the same thing with there name. Tyco/Amp as an example. The lock on the Tyco/AMP assembly's is better and doesn't get packed with shit and locks.

where do you guys buy Deutsch connectors i will be going that route on my new truck instead of weatherpack like i used in the past since i would like smaller connectors.

I get most of mine from work so I am no help but when I need versions I can't find I use the catalog from TE to identify the options and then search ebay for that part #.
https://www.te.com/ict-catalog#page=1
There is a sweet DTHD30 version that has two 8 ga conductors in it and 14/16 ga conductors. Awesome for '60 ish trucks with limited wires.
https://www.te.com/ict-catalog#page=151

Always get the solid terminals and use the cheap or fancy radial crimper. Makes terminating wires a cinch.
https://www.te.com/ict-catalog#page=172

Mouser electronics and Digicom electronics also sell amphenol.

WeatherPack are designed for automotive use amphenol are designed for electronic use in not a wet environment.

From memory.

WeatherPack are designed for automotive use amphenol are designed for electronic use in not a wet environment.

From memory.

i have amphenol on crane trucks and very very large bucket trucks and they are exposed the enviroment hell they have a large seal for a reason

The solid duetsch terminals are great and i used a 30$ crimper for it

From memory.

Yeah the amphenol of old aren't particularly waterproof.

The new amp are Deutsch clones and are very waterproof.

Reactions: PAE
I use Deutsch connector as my primary. The newer Amphenol connectors are mostly interchangeable with the Deustch plugs. Or ie the male and female plugs seem to interchange. The pins also interchange but the wedgelocks are different. Both are very weather proofed.

I have several sources for connectors. I don't always buy from these sources but they have good selection guides to find part numbers:
www.Wirecare.com
https://laddinc.com/products/interactive-product-finder/?type=connectors

Purchasing depends on how quick I need it.
All CAT Dealers carry Deutsch connectors and have a good selection. They can also get components very quickly, overnight or 2 day.
Mouser is who I buy through if time isn't a issue as prices are usually a bit better. Mouser carries Amp or Deutsch versions.

I'll note that a friend recently got a Weather Pack setup and was really impressed with the Deutsch DT setup.

I went with the solid contacts, which are more expensive and require a more expensive crimp tool, but that's a lot easier than the stamped and formed contacts to assemble. The crimper is pretty idiot-proof as far as getting everything lined up and solidly crimped. He's had issues with trying to line everything up to get the WP connector, wire, and seal all lined up and crimped securely every time.

Comparing them, I do like that you can use multiple wire gauges in the same connector by just changing the connectors and seals on the Weather Pack - for Deutsch you have to use different connectors (DTM for 16-24GA, DT for 14-18GA, DTP for 10-14, DTHD for 6-14GA). The downside to that flexibility is that the Weather Pack connectors are much bulkier for smaller situations - the connector is the same size whether you're doing 20GA or 12GA, just the seal and connector change. It can also be difficult to tell the connectors apart unless you really look at them - the number and size of the tangs that grip the wire are the only difference.

I'll note that a friend recently got a Weather Pack setup and was really impressed with the Deutsch DT setup.

I went with the solid contacts, which are more expensive and require a more expensive crimp tool, but that's a lot easier than the stamped and formed contacts to assemble. The crimper is pretty idiot-proof as far as getting everything lined up and solidly crimped. He's had issues with trying to line everything up to get the WP connector, wire, and seal all lined up and crimped securely every time.

Comparing them, I do like that you can use multiple wire gauges in the same connector by just changing the connectors and seals on the Weather Pack - for Deutsch you have to use different connectors (DTM for 16-24GA, DT for 14-18GA, DTP for 10-14, DTHD for 6-14GA). The downside to that flexibility is that the Weather Pack connectors are much bulkier for smaller situations - the connector is the same size whether you're doing 20GA or 12GA, just the seal and connector change. It can also be difficult to tell the connectors apart unless you really look at them - the number and size of the tangs that grip the wire are the only difference.
The solid terminals are the only way imo.
That Jready crimper looks like a exact copy of the Deutsch tool.

My engine harness is all OE Toyota connectors, my main harness and accessories are all weather pack. I had a lot of WP stuff around already so it only made sense for me. If I had to buy everything and start from scratch I'd have used Deutsch connectors. TBH if I rewired my buggy now the entire thing would be different.

I'll add that WP are only rated up to 20amps I think.
DTP are good up to 25.

For high amperage shit, look into the Delphi Metripack lineup.
150 Series (15 amp) 280 Series (30 amp) 480 Series (42 amp) 630 Series (46 amp) 800 Series (60 amp)

I have used a lot of JReady and switched to genuine Deutsch recently with a nice DMC crimper. Does the same job, but everything is nicer. Kinda like Snap-On vs Pittsburgh. Once you hold the parts/tools, you understand right away.

Top Back Refresh