What's new

water heater install

Member Number
Loc
socal
moved the water heater from another room in the house. i added built an enclosure and put a door on it. left side will get sealed off. i am coming up short on my googling on what "code" is for the doors. do they need to be self closing? do they need holes to feed combustion?

View attachment

637470578.jpg

637470594.jpg

needs ventilation ... drill holes in door down low and up high

Wall ends in a window, and there's another room "outside" the other window. :laughing:

I was gonna ask something about outside combustion air, but that cabinet isn't really sealed from the room anyway...

go to "upcodes"
pick your state
1 and 2 family code
gas appliances i believe is the section

I have no idea what it needs for code in your communist shithole but that water heater is gonna be a hell of a lot happier and produce a hell of a lot less carbon monoxide with a vent to let air in. Right now you're only getting away with it because your ghetto cabinet is missing a wall.

If you lived somewhere with seasons I'd say insulate and seal the cabinet and pull your air from outside.

Why someone wouldn't go with a direct vent tankless in an application like this is beyond me.

I have no idea what it needs for code in your communist shithole .

Because Worcester County, (MA or MD? Fuckit doesn't matter), is such a righteous center of all things conservative. :shaking: Why you mouthbreathers continue to bang on California, some have never even been there, is beyond me. If you don't like CA, don't live there, it's pretty simple.

Sent from location: desert hills az

:flipoff2:

all of America is morphing into the commie shit hole CA is. Yes, even Texas. CA is just leading the way

Yup. But my little corner of AZ is/was definitely Trump county.

It's the population centers of course. Rural America, yes even rural California and rural Oregon are staunchly conservative, but they don't have the numbers to out vote the libs.

I would personally bring my upper and lower combustion air from the attic and seal that cabinet up nice and tight.

Something as simple as a duct off in the attic can create a negative pressure situation in your house and actually pull the exhaust into the home.

I have no idea what it needs for code in your communist shithole but that water heater is gonna be a hell of a lot happier and produce a hell of a lot less carbon monoxide with a vent to let air in. Right now you're only getting away with it because your ghetto cabinet is missing a wall.

If you lived somewhere with seasons I'd say insulate and seal the cabinet and pull your air from outside.

Why someone wouldn't go with a direct vent tankless in an application like this is beyond me.

Payback period on a direct vent is virtually never worth it with NG. NG is just too cheap for the 2% efficiency improvement to make up for the upfront cost over the life of the unit. Tankless direct vent water heaters aren't perfect either. An older lady's house down the road had a pair of them put in. Something went wrong with one of them at about two years old and filled the house with CO. Luckily she had a ton of CO detectors and they woke her up. I shut both heaters off and I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the install. PVC pipe wasn't cracked, inlet/outlet weren't plugged. I assume a heat exchanger crack. My meter was pegged (1500ppm max IIRC) in the furnace room.

Hey man, you don’t have to explain it to me. I know the problem very well from living in a state dictated by 3 population centers. I was just pointing out the funny of someone outside of CA defending them. I feel for the NorCal boys, but they either need to make Jefferson happen, or stop getting butthurt by the shit talking

Not defending it at all, I know it's fucked up, but the same old song and dance gets tiresome. Kinda like the butthurt the South still has about Yankees.

I was born and raised in CA, but left in 1994 with the plan that I'd probably go back to NorCal eventually, but there's no way I'd live there now. The CA I left in 94 no longer exists, it's fucking retarded what their dear leaders have done, and OR and WA have followed suit.

Because Worcester County, (MA or MD? Fuckit doesn't matter), is such a righteous center of all things conservative. :shaking: Why you mouthbreathers continue to bang on California, some have never even been there, is beyond me. If you don't like CA, don't live there, it's pretty simple.

Looks like someone got their panties in a knot.
More than one place is allowed to be a communist shithole at the same time. If he were in IL or NY I'd have said the same thing. :flipoff2:

Payback period on a direct vent is virtually never worth it with NG. NG is just too cheap for the 2% efficiency improvement to make up for the upfront cost over the life of the unit. Tankless direct vent water heaters aren't perfect either. An older lady's house down the road had a pair of them put in. Something went wrong with one of them at about two years old and filled the house with CO. Luckily she had a ton of CO detectors and they woke her up. I shut both heaters off and I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the install. PVC pipe wasn't cracked, inlet/outlet weren't plugged. I assume a heat exchanger crack. My meter was pegged (1500ppm max IIRC) in the furnace room.

I suggest tankless because it would have been a much cleaner install in that location. No awkward huge cabinet blocking a window, not because it would have been cheaper or lasted longer. Most of them are outside vented these days so no worry about starving it for oxygen in a cabinet.

because gas water heaters have been perfected to the simplest possible configuration
you feed them gas and water and they just plain work for a decade or two with zero attention given to them

[486 said:
;n345868]
because gas water heaters have been perfected to the simplest possible configuration
you feed them gas and water and they just plain work for a decade or two with zero attention given to them

If you don't have hard water tankless will go a decade without touching it. But if you flush it every couple years it will go three decades.

[486 said:
;n345888]but it needs electric and has fans and sensors and circuit boards

I can't say my propane tankless water heater has either of those. A push button pilot start and that is about it... no electrical running to it at all nor batteries.:homer:

Wall ends in a window, and there's another room "outside" the other window. :laughing:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

I was gonna ask something about outside combustion air, but that cabinet isn't really sealed from the room anyway...

enclosed patio made from foam panels, the window at the end of the cabinets will not be a window on the next phase of home remodeling. walls will be redone with wood, stucco and windows that dont leak. there are seams in the foam sections i can see through.

asked around and the municipal water here creates a lot of maintenance on the tankless units. a tankless unit in the attic would have save me a ton of hassle, but to keep it running i would have had to add a water softener, which means more hassle.

I would personally bring my upper and lower combustion air from the attic and seal that cabinet up nice and tight.

Something as simple as a duct off in the attic can create a negative pressure situation in your house and actually pull the exhaust into the home.

no attic over the unit.

I have a similar setup
water heater in a closet middle of the house,put a air vent down low in the door or side wall
drain for the pan,water alarm in the pan and co2 alarm

Top Back Refresh