What's new

Washington fires

Pearl Hill/Cold Springs is over 340,000ac now. 97 has finally opened up north of Brewster. The Old Mill in Omak burnt down yesterday, pretty surreal to see a complex of that size go up in flames.

They are doing a fantastic job fighting the fire near Sumner.

Is it just me or does the fire seem to be following under the high voltage power lines that they work so hard to keep trees and such out of. I wonder if all the years tree work/brush work contributed to leaving a bed of tinder for the fire to race through.

They are doing a fantastic job fighting the fire near Sumner.

Is it just me or does the fire seem to be following under the high voltage power lines that they work so hard to keep trees and such out of. I wonder if all the years tree work/brush work contributed to leaving a bed of tinder for the fire to race through.

Here in cali there is an actual specification for how the tree trimmings have to be treated/cut and stacked by the maintenance companies.

Basically they are not allowed to leave giant brush piles. It all has to be cut to a certain length and piles have to be a certain size and distance apart.

Property owners can also request they do something else, we had them chip everything they cut under the 65kv lines that run through one of our facilities and spread them. It was recommended by one of our arborists. YMMV

They arrested a guy starting a fire just SW of Sumner this afternoon.
Screenshot_20200909-193656_Chrome.jpg

Talked to my brother today, he's home for tomorrow and then likely headed for white pass Thursday morning for another 14 day hitch. He says they've actually had some straight up action and not the normal clean up duty that they usually get tasked with on state fires. I'm sure I'll get some stories out of him next time we meet up.

I have a camp trailer at the Cove Resort down on Rimrock Lake. I guess everyone got evacuated today.

If you need it moved and stored I can get it to a friend's secure storage yard in moxee.

Talked to my brother today, he's home for tomorrow and then likely headed for white pass Thursday morning for another 14 day hitch. He says they've actually had some straight up action and not the normal clean up duty that they usually get tasked with on state fires. I'm sure I'll get some stories out of him next time we meet up.

Thank him for me. That fire is a bit too close to home.

Just read that it was started by a person that drove off the Hwy, crashed and made a small fire to be spotted or get warm. Sounds like it happened in the same location as a truck towing a trailer did a few years ago. Long ways down if it was.

Just read that it was started by a person that drove off the Hwy, crashed and made a small fire to be spotted or get warm. Sounds like it happened in the same location as a truck towing a trailer did a few years ago. Long ways down if it was.

I heard different from someone who was stuck in the crash line. They crashed and the car burned. After it burned out the fire department was waiting for and looking for embers. Saw nothing. 24hr later it light up. Embers can sit like that for days in the right conditions. But the car for sure burned up.

edit: The witness we know of to this was in. the traffic back up like 4 cars back and her husband is a USFS wildfire firefighter team leader. I definitely believe her.

Last edited:
Just some photos I took as I drove up to Oroville this last weekend. The devastation is surreal. Quite a few homes lost along the highway and many many vehicles gone. Power lines, rail road, and guard rails burned up everywhere.
20200911_125709.jpg

20200911_125650.jpg

20200911_125914.jpg

Top Back Refresh